Mercruiser 5.0L exhaust flapper/shutter replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercruiser 5.0L exhaust flapper/shutter replacement

2003 245SB 5.0L Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 exhaust shutter/flapper clacking noise on the starboard side, worn out. I plan to replace both sides in the spring, any advice that will save time/money/frustration/etc?

Is this dry joint or wet joint exhaust?

is there a riser between the exhaust manifold and the elbow? If so most find it easier to pull the manifold/riser/elbow as one piece as the studs holding them together make it hard to just pull the elbow.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

I leave the manifolds, spacers and elbows alone and remove the intermediate elbows only. Pretty simple on my boat as access back there is fantastic but not sure what it's like on your 245.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Loosen the stainless clamps on the upper and lower boots completely and remove, use cordless drill for speed.
        Wear mechanic gloves and try to rotate the aluminum tube. You may have to use a screwdriver to pry the boots loose so you can rotate the tube. Push the lower boot down as far as you can. Push the upper boot up as far as you can. Then remove tube. May require wrestling a bit and beer breaks. It’s easy on a 2859 as I was able to stand in the engine bay.
        Esteban
        Huntington Beach, California
        2018 Element 16
        Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
        Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

• builderdude
          builderdude commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, aluminum tube = intermediate elbow.
      Working...
      X