Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holley 4 bbl renew kit question-gctid401777

Hello

Problem is I found rust flakes in front gas bowl so I need to rebuilt this carb.

I have a Holley list 80159 2126 6R3385B carb for my 350 sbc this is the orginal carb from Volvo Penta

I need part # for a renew kit . Is this a 4150 carb? 715 CFM? Can I use renew kit that goes to R80159 or is this not similar to my carb.

Regards Torsa

Best thing IMO, is to take the carb to a real carb rebuilder (not the guy at the gas station under the old oak tree). These people have all the tools and machines to rebuild and set the flows etc. Biggest thing you'll have to do is reinstal and set the idle. No brainer.

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Comment

The Holley carburetor is among the easiest to install a kit in. Basically, you'll be cleaning things up more so than actually "rebuilding", if I may!

Also, I've found that the kits generally cover more than one model. You'd need to research this!

Critical notes would be to clean all metering passages (both low and high speed), attention to the acellerator pump check ball and seat, set the floats correctly as to ensure that the needle/seat offers the correct fuel bowl fuel level, etc.

The primary side low speed metering air screw adjustments are easy to set after re-installation.

You'll want to find out where this rust was coming from. You don't want a repeat of that.

I just did a search re; Holley list 80159 2126 6R3385B. Unless my search is flawed, this is an automotive 750 CFM carburetor.

If this is correct, several things to note:
      • 750 CFM is far greater than what your engine demands require. (see online calculator)
      • A 350 cu in Marine engine requires no more than 405.092 CFM for the standard MAX operating RPM. (I used 4k rpm)
      • If this carburetor has external needle/seat adjustments, and/or peep sight ports, it will be illegal to use in an enclosed engine bay.

Hopefully I am wrong, and I came up with incorrect info.

But if I am correct (and this may not be an exact example), note that if your Holley does have these items, it is not a Marine version Holley.

We cannot use this version in an enclosed engine bay.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705508=29868-Holley Auto Carburetor image for Torsa .jpg[/img]
      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

hello

Thanks.

The carb has J tubes and look like the one in the picture, this one is orginal equiped from Volvo- Penta in 1987 on my Bayliner Cobra 2250 (KG)

So I don`t know if it is coast guard app. or not, but we do not have this type of regulation in Norway. The boat org. came from Florida as an second hand boat. All in my boat is boat stuff NOT car stuff/parts.. What I fond out is that this is a marine 715 cfm carb. see link down to 750 cfm mine is the same style : http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/m...relholley.aspx

So..can I use the kit for R80159 or? Is this an 4150 or 4160 carb?

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Comment

Torsa wrote:

The carb has J tubes and look like the one in the picture, this one is orginal equiped from Volvo- Penta in 1987 on my Bayliner Cobra 2250 (KG)

So I don`t know if it is coast guard app. or not, but we do not have this type of regulation in Norway. The boat org. came from Florida as an second hand boat. All in my boat is boat stuff NOT car stuff/parts.. What I fond out is that this is a marine 715 cfm carb. see link down to 750 cfm mine is the same style : http://www.nationalcarburetors.com/m...relholley.aspx

So..can I use the kit for R80159 or? Is this an 4150 or 4160 carb?
            The kit that Robert linked you to looks as though it may be correct. As long as the fuel metering is correct, and that you're not changing power valve values or main jet metering, you should be OK.

Looks as though there are enough parts to get the job done.

As for the peep sights, and external needle/seat adjustments not meeting USCG regs....., I'd be willing to bet that some knucklehead probably stripped the threads at the peep sights, and did not correct it.

Later (at one time or another) this may have caused a fire or explosion.

This is likely what doomed these features for Marine use.

Then perhaps rather than Holley re-engineering this, they simply omitted the feature.

Hard to say, but I'll be that someone knows the history!

IMO, one of the better features of the Holley has always been the external peep sights and external needle/seat adjustments, but to my knowledge, these were not legal here in the US. So I doubt that this was OEM on this boat.

The J tubes may have been added, although they are shown in this image.

Again, 750 CFM is not desireable for this engine.

These carburetors are designed for an effective range within the CFM rating, and if the engine won't pull near 750 cfm at/near our operating RPM....., what's the point?

Question: what intake manifold is installed on your engine?

Typically, the people that may switch to this carburetor, may also be inclined to switch to a single plane intake manifold.

Best performance for our marine use, would be a dual plane intake.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Hello

Rick: I have the higest dualplane intake VP had at that time, I have cheked with Holley this is a marine high perfomance carb

used by VP in the 80`s. Do remember this is 25 years back

Today I have a custom built motor with Aluminim risers and manifolds

Pertronix complete ignition ++++ a lot of safty equiptments.

I have used 12000$ in restoration + 15000$ for the boat and trailer.

And I have not started the paint job yet...

Volvo Penta orginal carb 1987:

http://www.allcarbs.com/detail.php?p...=50&stt=0&gb=2

I go for this renew kit: holley 37-1539

I`ll have a top speed aruond 60 knots with 4800 rpm. best speed is 30 knots 2800rpm.

Thanks Torsa

Comment

holley# 3-1184 is the i use on the same carb

Comment

Well, I'll have to take your word at that, and the ad certainly shows the Volvo Penta twin throttle cable bracket.

I've not seen this bracket arrangement used on anything BUT Volvo Penta.

BTW, I am definitely a Holley fan..... and have always had good luck with them.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

volvo 271 came with that carb.. 750 holley works great with a dualplane intake. dualplane intakes can take more cfm.

Using a split plenum type manifold allows the use of a larger than "normal" carb CFM. This is because the plenum volume is cut in half by the divider, so each cylinder only has half of the total plenum volume and carb CFM to draw thru.

Comment

Hello and thanks Rick

I`m a Holley man to:arr

You know Bayliner Corbra was only in product line for 2 years mine is one of 4 in Norway.

I have old pix of the orginal motor room.

I see what you are pionting your finger at: SAFTY!! I agree.

I always use killswitch an lifewest on all in the boat when running....

What I have done:

I have a custom built aqualarm.net system:

both side riser alarm (temp)

motor temp.

motor oil pressure

raw water flow

high water in billige

fire in motor room

automatic fireex.

Going to make oilpressure switch for fuel pump.

I have had boats that has speed abowe 45 knots since I was 15 years old, an now I`m 40+

Torsa

Comment

Yes, it is definitely an issue of safety.

Torsa wrote:

Going to make oilpressure switch for fuel pump.
                        As in a low oil pressure switch as to cut fuel pump power?

That too is a requirement here in the US, and it also requires some form of fuel pump circuitry to energize the fuel pump prior to start up.

Here in the US, this must be momentary ONLY.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                        X