Removing fuel tank from a ceirra 2855 year 2000 after leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing fuel tank from a ceirra 2855 year 2000 after leak

Hi has anyone got any advice on the best way to remove and repair a leaking fuel tank? We’ve checked slm the engine seals so it’s come down to it being a fuel tank issue. Many thanks

Pressure test the tank to 4 psi no more.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

There's no repairing it. Must be removed/replaced through the aft cabin. Motor also needs to come out. Major job. Currently there is thread on BOC Facebook page. Lots of details there. Perhaps you are the same person.
      Last edited by msd58; 01-04-2018, 05:20 AM. Reason: spelling
      Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Cant really repair it effectively or safely. Coastline marine in Bellingham Wa. probably made the original or can make you a new one if you cant get one from the factory.

http://coastlinemarinetanks.com

leaking fuel tank is nothing to play with. There is also a good chance that the bunk holding the tank could be rotten too. The reason being the tank rotted because water gets under it and can't get out.

third part of that repair should be working on a method to keep water from getting under or on top of the tank. In my case it was the side engine vent that dumped wate directly onto the gas tank.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

If the fuel tank is in fact leaking it'll need to be replaced along with all fuel related hoses while your there. As msd said, it's a major project.
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

$3000.00 CDN all in replaced by a pro. Engine out, it was already out being replaced that is why I changed the tank before it leaked!!. firewall was removed mid birth floor removed stringers cut didn't want to mess with a 18 year old tank. Determined once removed that I had about a year left. Did not want 100 gallons of gas in the engine bay. Wanted to stay out of the evening news
            John McLellan White Rock BC
            "Halifax Jack"
            1999 2855 383 stroker BII
            MMSI 316004337

Comment

• builderdude
              builderdude commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s a great price.
              My 105 gallon tank alone was $1000 US purchased directly from Coastline 4 years ago, the cost today would likely be more.

The bunk that the tank sits on was completely waterlogged in my 2859. Was no small job thats for sure. The limber drains were all 90% blocked with fibreglass from the factory chopper gun. The main drain on the bottom was angled upward under the tank so water could run in but never get out again. Once you open that can of worms ........be prepared for alot of extra unseen work that these older boats all have. A survey will never be able to tell you about the stuff that cant be seen or reached. And thats the stuff that will cost you the most to fix or replace.
            Doug
            1995 496cu in. 2859 Bravo ll
            The Doghouse
            Prince George BC

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	402590Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	1
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	402591 My gas tank bunk in my conquest , just about saw dust. And with the bunk i had to remove .

I lost 50 gallons of gas in the bilge.
              twin 454's
              MV Mar-Y-Sol
              Twin chevy 350's inboard
              Ben- Jamin
              spokane Washington

Comment

I agree with all of this . I had a leak in my tank on my 2859 and had the boat yard here in SOCAL do the work. The cost of the tank alone was about $1000, but the labor to remove and replace the engine and cutting out the floor in the mid birth ran the bill to about $4000( high CA labor rates). This is a major repair. Good luck!
                sigpicDave Stancil
                Bayliner #1 in slip
                1993 2859 Classic
                10 ' dingy w/4HP 2012 DS4 Suzuki
                Bayliner #2 in garage
                2000 19.5 Capri Classic on trailer

Comment

Many speak of the high cost of the repair. Here is the deal the tank will be about $1000.
                  mine were $800 plus shipping.

However beyond that the actual material cost will probably fairly low. Maybe a few hundred or so. The real expense is labor cost. It adds up fast.at $100 per hour.

if you know how or want and can learn to do it yourself a major money savings can be had.

on top of that a estimate is usually somewhat padded for just I cases. For example I replaced my tank and bunk in a weekend. I didn't have to pull a motor though.
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

Originally posted by Siboney View Post
                    Hi has anyone got any advice on the best way to remove and repair a leaking fuel tank? We’ve checked slm the engine seals so it’s come down to it being a fuel tank issue. Many thanks
                    I too have a 2000 2855 (newer hull style) My tank appears to be plastic and its original. It's not leaking.
                    Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

Bought my tank at coastal with dealer markup it was just under $1,100.00 cdn remember my engine was out anyway so not counting engine removal. BTW engine replacement from 7.4 to stroker was a 3 man day project including sea trial
                      John McLellan White Rock BC
                      "Halifax Jack"
                      1999 2855 383 stroker BII
                      MMSI 316004337

Comment

If you have a roto molded plastic fuel tank they tend to leak from the fuel sender flange which is on the top of the tank. It's an easy fix. Just something to check before you rip everything apart..

Comment

Working...
                        X