Sealant when bolting through swim platform?-gctid401612

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sealant when bolting through swim platform?-gctid401612

I am installing the Kennedy tie downs on my swim platform to so that I can move my cooler back there.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...7#.UAm5c44hvZc

For this install, I will be bolting through the platform with locknuts and washers on the other side. The bottom of the platform is open, as it is and extended platform. Do I need to use sealant in the bolt holes?

Will-

Is the remnant of the factory swim platform going to come into play? Or is it the new deck only?

Comment

If its your new deck and not your factory, depending on if there is a CORE or not. If it has some kinda core and isnt pure fiberglass then yes, if otherwise then no theres no reason to seal it.

Comment

The old deck won't come into play, and I don't think there is a core - I think its just glass - I'll bring some with me just in case!

Comment

If you've got it and have the ability to, I would ask what would it hurt to do it as a precaution. That's the way I approach things. Don't forget pics afterwards.

Comment

Unless the FRP is made with a vinyl ester, fiberglass can absourb moisture.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I would use 3M 4200. Even if it is wood free construction.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                Unless the FRP is made with a vinyl ester, fiberglass can absourb moisture.
                +1.

No matter what, seal all throughbolts. Every time.

If there's a core, you must also reinforce the hole with epoxy or the capscrew will crush the layup.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                  +1.

No matter what, seal all throughbolts. Every time.
                  +2

3M 4200 works nicely.
                  Aquatic Muse
                  Mount Vernon, WA
                  MMSI: 367498870
                  '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

Comment

I am mounting a kicker bracket on our swim platform. I drilled over size holes, 3/4" for 3/8" bolts, filled with marine epoxy. That way the core of the swim platform should be sealed, but because of Murphy I also used 3m 5200 around the holes. I found the holes for the bracket that hold the swim platform up were not sealed very good and the wood was wet around the holes, so I repaired them the same way.

Good luck

Mitch & Sharon

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                      fiberglass can absourb moisture.
                      Fixed it for ya.

Water wicks up the the lengths of the glass fibers and if the layup is right one fiber will touch another and create a maze for water to travel throughout the layup. Resin system is not a factor.

Seal all holes.
                      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

dont think you need anything. but i would use dow 5200 just to save.

Comment

kwb wrote:
                          Fixed it for ya.

Water wicks up the the lengths of the glass fibers and if the layup is right one fiber will touch another and create a maze for water to travel throughout the layup. Resin system is not a factor.

Seal all holes.
                          You could read up on resi types and osmossis in relation to hull blisters, water causes ortho resin to disolve under gelcoat and cause blisters, the resulting liquid then cannot migrate back through the gelcoat as the liquid thicker than water. Simply put. Water does not migrate through the fiberglass fibers, it may travel through the resin next to the fiberglass fibers.

Vinyl esters resin is used by most manf. these days to prevent blisters as water cannot disolve it, the first few layers under the gelcoat is very effective in preventing blisters as gelcoat is not 100% waterproof.
                          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

As it ended up, I misjudged where I was putting the cooler... one side is going to be through bolted, and the other side is going to be screwed into the deck. I will now do this next weekend and I will definitely be using sealant for all of the holes. Thanks for all of the input!

Comment

Working...
                            X