diesel fuel sitting 2 years-gctid401549

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

diesel fuel sitting 2 years-gctid401549

I have heard different views on whether you should scrub your fuel if it's been sitting for a long period of time. Some have said if you add the right stuff you don't have to worry.

David

I think a lot has to do with properly treating the fuel too. I bought this boat with 500+ gallons of two year old fuel aboard (owner died two years previous) and I've had no fuel issues at all. I do have a polishing system that I run occasionally on the fuel, but the fuel is still very clean and has run well so far.

Are you treating your fuel?
    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Well I don't know, i like this thread. I wish I could provide more input but I will sit and listen anyway. I usually run fuel enough to where it doesn't sit more than a couple months, but my tank is tiny compared to your large vessels. Once I did let the fuel sit about 2 years (baby born) and the boat ran a little rough so I just siphoned the fuel and mixed it with the fuel in my truck a few gallons at a time LOL.

I treat everything except my vehicles with Sta-bil. Mowers, 2 cycle, boat, etc...

Comment

I would get some stay-build for diesel fuels... I had fuels in the tanks for over 3 yrs before it was used.. they put that stuff in and it was fine... I would stir the tank.. all the crap will mix in.. once empty then you can clean the crud from the bottom

Comment

Stabil prevents the deterioration of fuel - it does not resurrect if if deterioration has occurred.

I use Stabil in my gasoline religiously - lawn mower/chainsaw/weedeater and boat gas(es). Never knew it was available for diesel. But diesel does not deteriorate like gasoline (due to a much slower evaporation rate etc.) . Instead, time degrades it by allowing organic growth which then bungs up your fuel delivery system. Remove the organic growth (and water and particulates) through filtration, and the fuel should still be totally usable - even after sitting for years.

Comment

I would suggest a conditioner that helps keep the injectors clean for that old fuel. If you feel low on power I would add a diesel octane boost as well. Octane boost will also loosen up any gelling that may have occured over that time.

The best stuff is stanadyne which conditions your fuel and adds lubrication. Stanadyne is widely used by commercial boaters with diesel motors.

Comment

TrophyTroubles wrote:
              If you feel low on power I would add a diesel octane boost as well. Octane boost will also loosen up any gelling that may have occured over that time.
              Diesel does not have octane number associated with it. Matter of fact, the octane levels are 15-20 octane in diesel. It can sit for years and not have any problem being stale. The problem is in bacterial than can grown on the surface of the water on the bottom of a diesel tank. Keep it low point drained, filtered and treated with a biocide and you'll be fun.

You don't want high octane on a diesel.
              Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Pull a sample and if it looks good burn baby burn.

Comment

A good Cetane boost fuel additive (good for all diesel motors) will improve combustion effeciency that will increase power in your engine. A good boost additive will raise cetane numbers 3-7, it improves low temp starting, fuel ignition quality and reliability.

I should not have stated "octane" boost wasn't thinking. I use a cetane boost on my long hauls with large loads. I religously use stanadyne.

Comment

How much fuel are we talking? What engines?

If it's a big amount, I'd throw some PS BioKleen in it and polish it if possible. Turbocharged, high-speed diesels you may want to throw in a cetane additive... if this is an older diesel, I wouldn't bother.

Comment

Working...
                    X