Flame Arrestor repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flame Arrestor repair

Was going to clean the flame arrestor of my 1998 3 liter Mercruiser and noticed the discs are no longer parallel and evenly spaced.
    Is it still effective? Can it be repaired? I couldn't tell how the discs are supposed to be held in place.
    1998 Capri 1950CL
    3 Liter MerCruiser
    Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
    2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

No it can allow a backfire to escape the large gaps without dissipating enough heat. Not sure if it can be repaired by the picture.
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

That one is shot. Replacement it with a K&N Marine air filter is my recommendation. Kinda pricey, but keeps more junk out that a normal flame arrestor. https://www.knfilters.com/marine/boats.htm
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
      MMSI 367770440
      1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
      Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Replace it. The mesh style barbron high flow are nice. They have the valve cover breather fittings attached and in my case i needed the fuel pump fitting also. Found this on ebay for my 7.4l rochester 4bbl. Lots of different size options.
        Doug
        1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
        496 big block - Bravo ll leg
        The Doghouse
        Prince George BC

Comment

That's a decent looking flame arrestor sketch, I've been wanting to upgrade mine to increase air flow also. What size 8" diameter? Is it zinc coated steel, SS, or aluminum? Also, is there any type of filter eliment included? I've also been looking at KnN
          Dave
          Edmonds, WA
          "THE FIX"
          '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
          (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
          The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
          Misc. projects thread
          https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Originally posted by builderdude View Post
            That's a decent looking flame arrestor sketch, I've been wanting to upgrade mine to increase air flow also. What size 8" diameter? Is it zinc coated steel, SS, or aluminum? Also, is there any type of filter eliment included? I've also been looking at KnN
            Its an 8 inch aluminum mesh style. I was looking at the k&n also. They did not have the fittings attached. The oem was approx 1 1/8 air opening and this one is 3 inch. I cant go any taller to clear the hatch. Barbron makes many different sizes
            Doug
            The Doghouse
            Prince George BC

Comment

The nice thing about K&N is that they are not only a flame arrestor, but a very good air filter as well. Most, if not all the other units on the market are arrestors only. One could argue that there's not enough dust in the air on the water to make a difference but this is not the case in all areas, especially Southern California during the Santa Ana Winds season.

BTW, do not use an automotive K&N filter. While they are just as effective at arresting flames, they do not have the approval required by the Coast Guard.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

I use a K&N flame arrester on my 2452. I had no problems with it at all. The filter rarely needs cleaning and it is easy to clean. NB I don't work for K&N. . Tee Hee.
                Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
                1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
                MMSI 235061726

Comment

K&N are great filters. Its all i use on my race cars. I was going to buy the k&n arrestor also but when i found this barbron with all the right fittings already attached it was just much easier and cheaper than the k&n. I would have to buy the fittings as an extra through k&n and if you do require the fuel pump fitting it will not be plumbed correctly. The fitting needs to pass through the media and be able to dump into the carburetor.
                  Doug
                  The Doghouse
                  Prince George BC

Comment

Definitely do not try to repair that, replace it!
                    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

From oem to barbron high flow with crankcase and fuel pump fitting.
                      Doug
                      The Doghouse
                      Prince George BC

Comment

Follow up:
                        I didn't get around to replacing it because I wasn't sure of the part number. I cleaned it and all of the discs are now properly aligned I can't tell how they are held in place.
                        1998 Capri 1950CL
                        3 Liter MerCruiser
                        Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
                        2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Working...
                        X