2859 repowering question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2859 repowering question

We are coming close to moving forward with re-powering our 2002 2859. It currently has a 5.7mpi which is blown (long story involving unscrupulous sellers and sleazy brokers but I’ll save that discussion for another day !)
    After lots of reading I am pretty certain that I want to go with a 6.2 factory brand new motor. A couple of questions.....
    1. Does anyone know if I need to go with a full engine package or can I purchase a long block and transfer all the stuff from my old 5.7 mpi over to the new one ? Not 100% certain I want to do this but if it not an option then that decision becomes really easy.
    2. Has anyone here done the 6.2 or 383 upgrade from a 5.7mpi on a 2859 and if so can you describe the performance improvements. Cruising speed and rpm, time to plane and any noticeable fuel consumption differences.
    3. Also are there any drawbacks that anyone is aware of? I cannot see any but it never hurts to ask.
    2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
    Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Many if not all parts will transfer from your 5.7 to the new 383. Was your current 5.7 running a full or part closed cooling system or was it raw water cooled? That may be a deciding factor. Personally I'd go with a complete drop in and have the shop sea trial the boat several times before you cut the check.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
    (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
    The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

It is an Orca cooling system. I think that is a half system? It uses coolant and then draws raw water to cool it in the manifolds.
      Running the numbers I am leaning heavily towards the full repower. The silver lining is that i’ll end up with an awesome spare parts collection from the old motor.
      2002 2859 "Liquid Therapy"
      Moored at Reed Point Marina in Port Moody BC

Comment

Spare parts are necessary for sure. I woukd go the way you are thinking also. Full repower. Nothing left to chance. And while its out go through the transom assembly while access is good. Check the square shaft.

the 383 is a good motor. Lots of torque.
        Doug
        1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
        496 big block - Bravo ll leg
        The Doghouse
        Prince George BC

Comment

I have repowewred two 2859’s

I would recommend that you get the complete engine package, drop in ready. The cost is more, but you will habve zero problems, and no chance for finger pointing if you do have an issue.

When we did the 383 conversion it was a long time ago but my memory is that we got a significant fuel economy and performance increase. We did not have the old 5.7 long though, so our basis for cmparison was not that much. That was a block only job and I ended up screwing with it for a whole year after the install.

We also did a 496 mercruiser in another 2859. It was a mercruiser drop in engine. We loved it. Lots of get up and go. 27 knot cruise speed. Zero problems, All the advances in technlogy you would expect from a current production engine. Mercruiser Extended warranty which made selling the boat easy for a much higher than average price.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

• sketch96
            sketch96 commented
            Editing a comment
            What was the 496 worth from mercruiser?

• aknurse
            aknurse commented
            Editing a comment
            Last year when I was looking into it I was quoted $21500 from two places up her in AK. The same price as the diesel I installed.

I was with the dealer when he called Bayliner regarding details on the 246 I was about to order. I nearly asked if they could substitute the 6.2 engine for the 5.7 but never asked as the price was already more than I wanted to spend. I often wonder if they would have dropped one into my new build or if they wouldn't because that powerplant wouldn't have been factory tested.
          I know the big block wouldn't fit under the engine hatch due to height.
          When I received the boat, I found that the 5.7 B3 drive combo worked very well although my cruising rpm's are 3000 to 3600; more than I used to run on my previous boat with the carbureted 5.7.
          2007 Discovery 246
          300mpi BIII
          Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
          X