Volvo propellers-Alpha Numeric soup-gctid401474

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo propellers-Alpha Numeric soup-gctid401474

Not being a volvo owner, I find the prop designations for volvo to be confusing (to say the least). Can the experts put some real numbers (dia & pitch as well as short shaft//long shaft) to decode the volvo propellers?

Thanks in advance

Vic

Ft Myers
    Vic Stewart SN
    Past Commander
    Cape Fear Power Squadron
    Ft Myers Power Squadron
    1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
    Raw water cooled

Vic, I may not be following you completely here.

The Alpha/numeric codes pertain to the Duo Prop propellers. AQ drive B series = Aluminum.... C series = SS.

The numeric portion of the code = combined pitch.

(the V/P Duo Props are of two different diameters and two different pitches, and are matched sets.)

The Volvo Penta AQ series s/p drives use a diameter and pitch just as any other s/p drives do. You'll find 14", 15" and 16" diameter props.

These 14", 15" and 16" diameter props offer varying pitches, also measured in inches.

15X17 = 15" diameter X 17" pitch.

Long/short pretains to the s/p propellers, in that the prop hubs are available in two lengths.

**The prop shafts (250/270/275 vs 280/290/SP drives) net the exact same length of propeller shaft/splines when the correct spacer/line cutter is used. (Key words: Correct Spacer)

This gets confusing when the wrong data is offered, and believe me, wrong data is offered all the time on these.

250/270/275 drives = short spacer/line cutter ONLY.

280/290/SP drives = long spacer/line cutter ONLY.

IOW, we could think of it as a long/short shaft, but ONLY until the spacer is installed. (see ** above)

The spacer must be correct for the shaft, in which case there really is NO long/short prop shaft.

This is a common misnomer, and there is quite a bit of misleading and confusing information out there!

There is a bit more to this also.

The long hub props cannot be used on the 250/270 lower units due to the absense of the internal prop shaft threads.

This prevents the use of the AFT section of the two-piece spinner and center locking bolt, which is required for the long hub.

Once you see the two prop shafts, the two spacer/line cutters, the two prop hub lengths, and the two styles of spinners, it will make better sense.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705209=29830-Prop shaft 250 thru 275 dimensions.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705209=29829-Prop shaft 280 thru SP dimensions.jpg[/img]
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Rick,

Thanks for the response. However, my general question is why does Volvo confuse things? After all, every prop from a 1 HP to ship size has a dia and pitch. But Volvo says it's a B3..which really means nothing to me. So, back to my origional question. With all the Volvo designators (aka Alpha Numeric Soup) what is the real pitch and diameter of each prop. Duo props and all.

Thanks in advance

Vic

Ft Myers
      Vic Stewart SN
      Past Commander
      Cape Fear Power Squadron
      Ft Myers Power Squadron
      1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
      Raw water cooled

Comment

Again, the Bx numbers are for DuoProps, and actually makes things pretty simple. B for aluminum, C for stainless. 3 is the pitch. More pitch, go to a 4. Less pitch, go to a 2. Again, simple.

Do you have a DP?

If you do not, the single props have a diameter and pitch, just like any other prop.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Vic Stewart wrote:
          Rick,

Thanks for the response. However, my general question is why does Volvo confuse things? After all, every prop from a 1 HP to ship size has a dia and pitch. But Volvo says it's a B3..which really means nothing to me. So, back to my origional question. With all the Volvo designators (aka Alpha Numeric Soup) what is the real pitch and diameter of each prop. Duo props and all.
          Vic, I understand your question, but I don't see where Volvo Penta is confusing us.

Are you by chance comparing this to Mercruiser's BIII props and prop designation?

Merc does list pitch by #, and both props are of the same diameter.

The Duo Props are of different diameter and of different pitch, and is what primarily seperates the two drives in terms of performance range differences.

Let me begin by saying that there's really no need for any of us to know Volvo Penta's Duo Prop code break-down, IMO.

We cannot mix and match the Duo Prop sets, we must use them as per Volvo Penta, unless we want to experiment..... and Volvo Penta does not recommend that!

As you know, a B2 or C2 is less agreesive than a B3 or C3, and visa versa.

We perform a WOT RPM test just as we would for testing single props, and via OEM recommended specs.

If the WOT RPM is too high, we pitch up...... too low, we pitch down.

The s/p props are easily identifiable either by the p/n, or by pitch if the props are marked as such.

Some V/P and Michigan Wheel props are marked via diameter/pitch, some are via p/n.

Just what is it that you are wanting to do or try?

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I have a B2...and I like it..Just my opinion...Anyway I just feel that Volvo confuses the issue of prop size. I don't disagree that a DP prop set is a DP prop set. But for the guy that is 'NEW' to Volvo, the Alpha Numeric soup can be quite confusing.

Go to some out of the way prop shop...not a big player...and they too will have some confusion.

Not beating a dead mule, just looking for some clarification.

Again, thanks for your responses

Vic

Ft Myers
            Vic Stewart SN
            Past Commander
            Cape Fear Power Squadron
            Ft Myers Power Squadron
            1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
            Raw water cooled

Comment

Vic Stewart wrote:
              I have a B2...and I like it..Just my opinion...Anyway I just feel that Volvo confuses the issue of prop size. I don't disagree that a DP prop set is a DP prop set. But for the guy that is 'NEW' to Volvo, the Alpha Numeric soup can be quite confusing.

Go to some out of the way prop shop...not a big player...and they too will have some confusion.

Not beating a dead mule, just looking for some clarification.

Again, thanks for your responses

Vic

Ft Myers
              There are a limited number of duo prop sets made, nowhere near the sizes of props which as you mention can go from a couple millimeters in diameter for an RC boat to many feet for a cargo ship.

IMO, Volvo didn't confuse things - they simplified them. Imagine what it would take to shop for a set of duo props - there are different pitches of course, and the two props on the duo props are different, AND they differ from drives. So, if you were looking for a replacement prop set... you could search for a 15.25 x 19 progressive edge and a 14.25 x 17 progressive edge for an AQ-series VP. And then if you had to go "up" or "down" a size, you could figure out what the next sizes were and go from there. The different props are not meant to be mismatched as well - you would not put a F4 front with a F5 rear.

I'd rather google "Volvo Penta F6" and see the exact props for my application, and know that if I'm over pitched I could just search for "Volvo Penta F5" and find a lower-pitched correct set for my drive based on the props I have now Seems if anything, they've greatly simplified instead of confused the equation of getting props for your duo-prop!

Comment

Vic Stewart wrote:

Hey Vic, you're welcome, and I hope that I did not add to the confusion.

As for a prop shop, if they own the correct fixtures for re-doing Duo Props, they should certainly understand Volvo's codes.

If they don't, then perhaps they should have a Volvo Penta Rep drop by and explain things.

(yes, there is a tad bit of sarcasm in that)

ishiboo wrote:

IMO, Volvo didn't confuse things - they simplified them......
                Well said by our Spiritual Gynecologist!

I had no idea that a Gynecologist would know anything about this! :kidding

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You Volvo guys win....But you know, if I go almost anywhere and ask for a 15 X 17 volvo prop, the prop guy will not have one............but if I ask for a Yamaha or Evinrude (god forbid) or a Merc,,,they will have one.

You guys stick with the Alpha Numeric soup..I'll stick with real numbers.

I'm smiling, and certainly don't want to or mean to ruffle any feathers.

Thanks for all your replies

Vic

Ft Myers
                  Vic Stewart SN
                  Past Commander
                  Cape Fear Power Squadron
                  Ft Myers Power Squadron
                  1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
                  Raw water cooled

Comment

No ruffled feathers here, Vic......... I'm OK with the soup!

BTW, Volvo Penta's Duo Prop code system appears to have been working just fine since 1983!

I think that this is actually the first complaint that I've read about.

Ya know, if it really bothers you, Vic......, a good prop shop should be able to measure the diameter and pitch for you.

Pitch is nothing more than the theoretical distance traveled during one full revolution, and I believe there is a slip factor in along with this.

Make yourself a big giant bowl of Jello.

Put the prop in the Jello before chilling it in the frig.

I said big giant bowl.... not that little bowl.

After it has chilled, spin the prop one revolution.

Next, measure the distance that it traveled.

There's your pitch!

You can eat the Jello over the next few weeks!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                      No ruffled feathers here, Vic......... I'm OK with the soup!

BTW, Volvo Penta's Duo Prop code system appears to have been working just fine since 1983!

I think that this is actually the first complaint that I've read about.

Ya know, if it really bothers you, Vic......, a good prop shop should be able to measure the diameter and pitch for you.

Pitch is nothing more than the theoretical distance traveled during one full revolution, and I believe there is a slip factor in along with this.

Make yourself a big giant bowl of Jello.

Put the prop in the Jello before chilling it in the frig.

I said big giant bowl.... not that little bowl.

After it has chilled, spin the prop one revolution.

Next, measure the distance that it traveled.

There's your pitch!

You can eat the Jello over the next few weeks!

Better still buy a good old fashion American Merc with diameter and pitch printed on it.

JMHO

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                        I had no idea that a Gynecologist would know anything about this! :kidding
                        I'll leave any prop shaft/gynecology correlation jokes out of this discussion to keep it family-friendly

I have a VP duo-prop again so I suppose I have a dog in the fight, but I can say it was far easier when searching for a spare to search for a F6, than to figure out and search for the diameters, pitches, side (front or back) and type of both props.

Nothing wrong with the conventional measurements when referring to conventional prop setups, I wouldn't have it any other way. When looking for an OMC prop for example, it's far easier to see 15x17 and 15.25x17 and know they are functionally the same instead of having to figure out to codewords or part #s.

Comment

check737 wrote:
                          Better still buy a good old fashion American Merc with diameter and pitch printed on it.

JMHO
                          Cliff, while both the Duo Prop and the BIII are twin/counter-rotating propeller drives, you'd need to understand that each uses a completely different propeller arrangement.

Merc's prop sets are a mirror image of one another..... both in diameter and pitch.

Front prop and rear prop are measured in pitch.

V/P's are not a mirror image of one another..... each is of a different diameter and pitch.

Front prop = larger diameter/less aggressive pitch.

AFT prop = smaller diameter/more aggressive pitch.

Because of V/P's rather unique propeller design, the two drives perform differently.

I think that if Volvo Penta listed these re; diameter and pitch, owners may be inclined to mix/match prop sets, and that does not work!

As it is, there is an Alpha designation followed by a numeric designation for each matched set: A1, A2, A3 and so on, B1, B2, B3 and so on, C2, C3, C4 and so on, and the F and E series, etc.

Coincidently, both FWD and AFT props are marked with the same designation, but of course the p/n is not same.

Example: with a B6 set, each will be marked "B6", but each will also have a separate p/n. As long as each is a B6, they can function together.

Like said, the "code" has been working well since 1983!

No dog.... no fight.......... just adding a bit of clarification!

ishiboo wrote:

.......... but I can say it was far easier when searching for a spare to search for a F6, than to figure out and search for the diameters, pitches, side (front or back) and type of both props.

Nothing wrong with the conventional measurements when referring to conventional prop setups, I wouldn't have it any other way. When looking for an OMC prop for example, it's far easier to see 15x17 and 15.25x17 and know they are functionally the same instead of having to figure out to codewords or part #s.
                          Well said!

And what......, no comments on my Jello analogy for Vic???? :kidding

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

With bananas please.........

Vic

Ft Myers
                            Vic Stewart SN
                            Past Commander
                            Cape Fear Power Squadron
                            Ft Myers Power Squadron
                            1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
                            Raw water cooled

Comment

Vic Stewart wrote:
                              With bananas please.........

Vic

Ft Myers
                              As per your request, sir!

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X