Lowrance Elite 4 losing bottom-gctid401467

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowrance Elite 4 losing bottom-gctid401467

I recently installed a Lowrance Elite 4 on our Capri 2050LS. I located the transducer about 18" from the center of the outdrive, on the right side, which put it about 6" from the lifting strake. I'll post a pic tonight. I've tried to make sure the TD is level with the ground as the boat would be sitting in the water, and all settings are manual (no auto sensitivity, etc).

The problem I'm having is it seems to loose contact with the bottom regardless of speed. I have the shallow alarm set at 5', and the sonar set for fastest pings and white background with fish reveal. In areas I know there are no humps or shallow spots, and at varying depths and speeds, it looses contact with bottom very frequently. This causes the shallow alarm to go off, and the screen has brown blotches on it as if there is something in the water just underneath the boat.

I know these are false signals, but not sure if I have a setting wrong, or maybe the TD is in the wrong spot.

TIA

Those symptoms sound like air interference. 18" right of the outdrive sounds good, and 6" from the strake sounds OK too. Have you checked relative heights? That is, the transducer's bottom, relative to the vessel's bottom, to see how far below the surface of the hull the transducer is?On the Elite's transducer, about half the depth of the "puck" must be below the hull. Because of your deadrise, this will be more on the outboard side of the puck and less on the inside edge, so you'll need to eyeball a bit.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705227=29833-Xducer.jpg[/img]You might need to pull the transducer up a bit more. And look forward from there to see how the curve of the hull moves the strakes toward the keel line. You may need to move left (towards the drive) a bit to ensure you're getting "clean" water. I would also try turning on Auto Sensitivity. Leave the manual controls alone until you get the basics working to your satisfaction.

Comment

whiskeywizard:

That's what I thought too (air/bubble interference), but it happens at no-wake speeds as well. At this speed, I wouldnt think placement would be as critical as when on plane, as the entire TD should be under water.

I tried to eyeball it per the diagram in the instructions, which is the same as the diagram you posted. I'll look at it again tonight, and try to get a good pic of it.

I'll also try the auto-sensitivity next time we're out. A professional guide I use frequently strongly recommended no using the auto, but point taken about using it until things get worked out.

Thanks

Comment

The picture Mike posted shows the bottom of the t-ducer parallel with the bottom of the boat. I've always set-up the t-ducer on my boat so the aft end is a little lower providing positive water force against the bottom face of the t-ducer.

Comment

2X

Try the fully auto setting OR at least turn the gain down. At dead slow and as long as XDucer is in the water it should show only minor surface clutter with proper gain settings. If you turn the gain high enough you will see every microbe below your boat - likely not what you want.
          2003 Trophy Pro 2359; Rebuilt 5.7L Vortec longblock (crate) using rest of the previous owners freeze destroyed 5.0L. Now fully FWC Alpha 1 Gen 2 drive.

Comment

I'll try adjusting the aft end down a little, as well as the auto setting.Also, I've been running it only at 200MHz. I think next time out I'll run it split (83 and 200) and see what that does. Most all our fishing is probably less than 15', sometimes jigging at 25-30'.Below are a couple of pics.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705358=29856-IMG_1930.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705358=29857-IMG_1932.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X