No announcement yet.

gimble and hinge pin replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I decided it was worth the extra to replace the entire transom assembly (2500) which gave me the new bellows,tilt tubes, and bell housing after removal the engine coupler was also in need of replacement ($525) so after pulling the engine and all work done bill came to $5675 will not be too unhappy if all goes well in spring. I think this was better than cutting into the transom assembly which still would have been about $3700. So onto the next project, the stock prop (18.5 X 19) did not seem to work at all I usually run full tanks four to five adults and sometimes could not get over 3400rpm. With me and my wife and not loaded down I could get 3800-4000 engine ran smooth so I don't think there was any other problems. From the research that I have done and I'm not worried about speed just want to go smoothly on plane fully (heavily) loaded I'm thinking four blade 18.5 X 16) this is a very big change and at 725 bucks would not like to be too far off, anybody else have any experience with this.

thanks
    Dave

Comment

6K is not too bad,
      Inner & outer shields been replaced too?
      I'll be doing this soon on my boat if she is not sold soon, only have 2 of them hanging back there.
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

I would have done the same. What is the WOT with the current prop? Did you try Mercruiser’s on line prop calculator?
        1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Ruffryder; the inner transom plate came with the assembly it was the magnum so I'm hoping even though I probably replaced more than I had to it will be an improvement.

Mike; WOT is about 3200 fully loaded in fact on one trip we could barely get on plane. Since mercruiser does not sell a four bladed prop they do not include these in their calculator. At this point I'm thinking I would rather be too low pitch (I can always back off throttle) than bogging down engine. By the way the manual says WOT should be 4200-4600 RPM so I'm not even close

Comment

Yes the manual WOT is correct. If you are correct about the WOT it’s off by 1000 rpm, you’ll never correct this by changing pitch. Have you checked the gear ratio vs what it should be with this engine package? Have you tried shifting weight forward? Have you checked ignition tim8ng and certain all cylinders are firing?
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Mike makes a good point, sounds like your current set up has been very hard on the engine. Verify the ratio.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
              (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Yup verify,
                assuming 2001 2859 7.4 B2, if so B2 should be geared with 2.0:1 ratio with factory prop 18.25 X 19.
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                X