FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT

Hello All, I'm in the process of replacing original fuel lines and filters on our 3270, which are way past the 10 year safety window. Filters are being replaced with Racor filter/separators which are aluminum construction. 2 questions, can the fuel barbs at the filters be brass or would that create corrosion issues and should they be anti siphon or straight barbs. We already have anti siphon valves at the tanks and It seems that straight aluminum barbs are difficult to come by.
    "MistyBlue"
    1982-3270
    "The man who insists on seeing with perfect clearness before he decides, never decides".

Question do you have gas or diesel engines?. If you put a racor separator filter on your gas engine and you get water in the gas it will shut your engine down as opposed to just running poorly. If its a diesel you need that. Gas not so much.

as for barbs it have never seen an issue either way for me. Gas tanks aluminum barbs brass engine iron.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

I've been planning to reconfigure my fuel system as well. I have diesels. I currently have two off engine filters per tank and am planning to replace all the fuel lines and remove one of the off engine filters and going with just a single primary filter and the on-engine filter per engine. I am also planning on adding on onboard polishing system based on Captain Wil's Diesel Polishing System - http://www.trawlersandtrawlering.com.../captnwil.html.

I had the same question about the various fittings - are the brass fittings from Lowes or Home Depot sufficient. I assume they are.

Paul
      US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
      MMSI: 338181912

Comment

So "Yachtman", from your post, I believe that you're saying that the Racors are really not necessary on gas engines, which I'm running, and that the composition of the barbs are of no importance. If that's the case, looks like I'll save some $ and just replace the hoses and leave the original fuel filters in-line. I'd be interested to hear what others have to say.
        "MistyBlue"
        1982-3270
        "The man who insists on seeing with perfect clearness before he decides, never decides".

Comment

It's my opinion that if you have a decent canister filter ( oil filter looking type ) it's sufficient. Change them out every year. What I'm saying is that water in the gas won't usually ruin your engine if in small amounts.. i would rather deal with crappy gas and have a running engine than be stranded. If you have diesel you need it to shut down so you don't ruin the engine.

on a fuel injected gas engine you might not want to run water inn the gas either but it's still not as critical as diesel.

I have been running and working on boats for 40 years i have never seen a electrolisis issue on fuel line fittings beyond regular normal boat corrosion. I have used both brass and aluminum fittings. The tanks have always been aluminum. They have brass fittings on the tanks now. Cooling system is a completely different story though. As a side note though antisiphon valves I have seen are almost always aluminum.
          1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
          twin 454's
          MV Mar-Y-Sol
          1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
          Twin chevy 350's inboard
          Ben- Jamin
          spokane Washington

Comment

Working...
          X