new fuse panel on upper helm-gctid401186

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Ishiboo, yes they are marine grade. I install these on equipment that is used on the Gulf Coast and they have never failed me. I get them in different configurations and these will include a buss bar. I have been buying them from Kimball for years. They are also tinned and because of the quantity i use, i'm only paying about $7 apiece......i hav'nt been using covered, but i may for this. Upper station panel is mounted to the underside of dash and i'm going to move it to right wall for easy access. The panel will be open to elements, so a cover is good insurance!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    711brett wrote:
    Thanks for the input.

I am going to change the lower also, but the top is failing now so thats first...

The fishing lights, radios, radar and cabin LEDs are already on a panel i added that is fed by a third battery dedicated solely to that....I installed a third battery and ran 10g wire fwd to a seperate panel in the cabin for that purpose....

I think i'll use a six and a ten fuse panel for the upper, just because i have access to them. That should give me plenty and a few extra for adding later.

Thanks again guys and if your ever in The Gulf, drop me a line, we'll drop a line!
    Are they marine fuse panels?

Bayliner used brass panels for a while, and those corroded quickly.

I recommend the Blue Sea series of panels, available with or without a negative bus. I have a negative bus bar at the helm, but I used the panel with bus and use it for electronics negatives.

The Blue Sea panels are tinned copper which gives the best corrosion protection available for these size/type panels. My cost on the 12-circuit with negative bus and cover is $27, so they're also fairly reasonable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Thanks for the input.

I am going to change the lower also, but the top is failing now so thats first...

The fishing lights, radios, radar and cabin LEDs are already on a panel i added that is fed by a third battery dedicated solely to that....I installed a third battery and ran 10g wire fwd to a seperate panel in the cabin for that purpose....

I think i'll use a six and a ten fuse panel for the upper, just because i have access to them. That should give me plenty and a few extra for adding later.

Thanks again guys and if your ever in The Gulf, drop me a line, we'll drop a line!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The very nicest set up is a panel with those 12 volt circuit breakers. You saw these on the later model Trophy boats. This would be a job to install though. I have to agree with Rick about keeping all your fuses the same type. I like the blue sea fuse panels. They are nicely made and come with a cover to keep the moisture out.

Leave a comment:

• 2850Bounty
    replied
    My thoughts:

If you have the glass style fuses throughout the boat now, and do same....., this means that you keep one style of spare fuses on board.

That may be worth something to you.

However, if you are considering replacing the other fuse panels as well, then perhaps a change would be better.

Again, keeping one style of spare fuses on board.

Question: what are you now using to power your Nav equipment? (VHF, GPS, DD, FF, etc)

While at it, you may want to consider a new dedicated circuit for a dedicated fuse or breaking panel for these alone.

This would be other than using the OEM helm harness for Pos/Neg.

Food for thought!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Sure, those fuse would work fine at the upper helm.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic new fuse panel on upper helm-gctid401186

new fuse panel on upper helm-gctid401186

My upper station uses glass fuses and they are starting to deteriorate. The fingers that actualy hold the fuse are losing connection at the panel. I have rewired two so far and am going to replace the panel soon. My question is, do i need glass fuses? Can i use plastic? I have access to panels through my job at a huge discount, but i am not willing to shortcut for safety or quality. I have done many conversions on equipment(my day job), and didn't know about uscg rules on this......any hints are welcome.
Working...
X