Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Plugging hole of OMC sterndrive with aluminum and installing Mercury outdrive ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plugging hole of OMC sterndrive with aluminum and installing Mercury outdrive ?????

I know there are a lot of experienced people on this site so I am reaching out to you guys to get some advice and ideas. I know, I know beware what you ask for. So here it goes. I have a 1987 2160 with a 4cyl/Sterndrive OMC. The outdrive blew on it and I am having a hard time finding a replacement that is in good shape. The ones I can find are in worse shape than mine and they want $200-$300 for and I still have to sink another $600 in gaskets and hard to find shafts. Sooooo to make a long story short. What I was thinking is I wanted to pull the old Sterndrive out, plug the hole on both sides with some thick aluminum or stainless steel plate. I was thinking a ¼” plate on both side of the transom, some silicone and bolts every 4” or so and it should be sufficient to keep the water out. I have seen people do this on smaller boats and work fine. I wanted to replace the sterndrive with a Mercruiser outdrive since they are a dime a dozen and the parts are everywhere for them.

I have seen people fill in the transom with fiberglass and then cut the hole for the Mercruiser. I don’t want to do that I am thinking the steel should work.

Has anyone done this with their boat? If so how did it work for you?

You have a cobra drive ?

if yes sei makes a adaptor .

The keyhole in the transom is the same for cobra and alpha.

2 options ... Pick your poison.
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

• Apurpura
      Apurpura commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry i put the wrong year by mistake. It's a 1985 2160, No cobra, it's the first gen OMC. The 400 stern drive, white in color.e

what Alen said...
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

Since the keyhole has to be cut in the aluminum or steel, IMO, you are money and time ahead splicing in plywood reinforcement, you may have a bit of soft wood that needs to be repaired anyway, then sealing the hole with fiberglass all the way around. You should be able to convert the engine to work with the merc setup.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Apurpura
        Apurpura commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought of the fiberglass route, it just seems like a lot more time and work. I saw a video of a guy doing it on an old Bayliner. Sealing the hole and cutting the keyhole for the Merc. It took him months to do it with his schedule. Unfortunately mine is no better.

No No No...
      the key hole for the Cobra is the SAME as the Alpha and the same as the Volvo SX. So if you want to pull out all the OMC stuff, which requires pulling the engine, you do not have to do any
      'glass work. If you don't want to pull the engine and transom mount, the SEI adapter kit will work, you can use their knockoff of an Alpha drive or use a genuine Merc drive with their kit. Probably the easiest way. If you old transom mount was in bad shape then I'd do the total re-furb.
      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Post a pic of the drive please !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

The SEI conversion kit may be the least expensive way to go. You get a brand new drive with a 3 year warranty.

The best way to fill the hole left by removing a drive is the rebuild the transom.

SEI drive info: https://www.sterndrive.cc/
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

You would only have to do that (plug the hole in the transom) if the boat originally came with a Stringer drive, which had the big rubber boot on the transom, but I don't think you'd find a 1987 boat with a Stringer. By then all the OMC drives should have been Cobras, which use the same mounting style and transom cut out as a Merc Alpha and Volvo SX (which was based 100% on the OMC transom mount design). The SEI conversion is for sure the cheapest way to get away from having to rebuild a Cobra, but the quality of the drives they sell appears to be hit or miss. I'm not sure how well designed the conversion is but I have read good things about it. If one was concerned about the quality of the SEI drive there seems to be no reason why you could not use a rebuilt Merc drive in its place.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Seen 87 with Stringer drive. People actually preferred The last stringer to the merc.

Mine was a 86.

In the right hands would make a great drive.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I have seen just one boat with a Stringer in my area over the past 10 years. And one thing that was unusual about them was, if the tilt mechanism worked the drive could lift all the way out of the water which for sure was a good feature for boats kept in the water esp salt water. But I have not seen one in years. Salt water is tough on everything....I think now mine is the only Cobra in our harbor, there used to be a few....

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Hi guys

Looking for my new boat, in local marina I found Bayliner Ciera 2450 , year 1985, with (I saw that for the first time!) OMC Stringer 800 drive! I was not look inside yet, but owner claims that engine is OMC 305 ( 5.0 liter) with 190 HP.
                  Boat s in pristine condition (for the age) , at least, it looks that owner take care about.
                  Apart of that, boat was not in water, for 7 years. Seting on the trailer .

Is it worth to look at all? i am afraid of engine, and lack/price of spares. I believe after 7 years, I will need to change all rubber parts , cables , and other staff.

Thank you for any update .

Comment

Run away as fast as you can
                    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Agreed. Parts hard to find and no one will work on them anymore. Even for Cobras it's tough to find good techs.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

thank you guys. Only chance is if price will be insane low, so i can re-power it .

But even then, there is a big hole to be trimmed.

Thank you

Comment

But why do all that work; save more money wait a bit longer and get a late model boat that does not need that work. Major 'glass work is time consuming messy and hazardous to your health.

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                          X