2004 Bayliner 285, Norcold Refer (DE 0051 1.7 cu') is not working

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2004 Bayliner 285, Norcold Refer (DE 0051 1.7 cu') is not working

So I stopped in to the marina today for a quick check on the boat and found that the refer is not making things cold. The green light was on but no motor noise. I pulled the 10 amp fuse and it looked good, shut down the shore power and switched batteries but no love. I plan to pull the unit and see it there is something that is repairable (maybe brushes in the motor) because a quick search let me know that this little box may cost about $1K to replace(?). Are there some more economical options for a replacement if I am not able to resurrect this beer box?

Thanks

Mike
    2004 Bayliner 285 350 MPI Bravo III
    2007 Bayliner 192 Discovery 3.0 135HP (sold)
    2000 Ciera 2455 sold
    Redmond, Washington
    The one on the Left (Wet) Coast

I believe the motor is in a sealed unit. I use a small 120 volt frige and a DC to AC converter on my small drink frige.when out and about.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

That would be a option, and I'm not real hopeful about a repair but I have nothing to loose.

Thanks

Mike
      2000 Ciera 2455 sold
      Redmond, Washington

Comment

Norcold is now a company associated with dometic in Ft. Wayne, In. There are three modules: the main one, the 12V, and the 115V ac (shore power) one. They are available at a decent price. The main module operates somewhere around 45V Dc and the other modules feed it. Google the model number and find a parts list.
        Captharv 2001 2452
        "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Mike
          2000 Ciera 2455 sold
          Redmond, Washington

Comment

Hi Mike. Our 325 is now ten years old. The cockpit frige had stopped being cold and I replaced it with a new Norcold unit. Not a direct fit, and a bit of work to complete the job. Now our cabin frige can't freeze ice and we will have to get another one. Everyone that I know has not advised trying to fix these Norcolds when they get tired. We will have to buy a new one. Time to break out another thousand! We hope your frige dilemma resolves itself without too much stress. Good luck. Griff

Comment

Thanks Bruce,
              I am a DIY type and have brought back appliances and systems back with parts like thermo couplers, small parts and or switches saving me lots of $ compared to a full replacement. The way I look at it I have nothing to loose by taking this apart and at least $700 to save. The encouraging symptom of my refer is power light is on and the motor (fan) is not running so if there is no power to the motor I am hoping there is a control switch of some sort that might have went bad. If I can jump the switch and hear the fan start I will be in luck. I found the Norcold parts list for this model.

If nothing else it will be a excuse to hang out on the boat at the marina for a few hours after the holidays and mess around with the unit. I could think of worse locations to spend my time tinkering and having a cool one.
              On a side note I see a neighbor in the marina with a much larger yacht is having some big engines being disassembled so I fell lucky to be dealing with just a small refer

Mike
              2000 Ciera 2455 sold
              Redmond, Washington

Comment

find the motor power leads and check,
                if it is a Danfoss compressor, could be the control unit.
                Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                X