Help Diesel Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Diesel Everywhere

Could smell a burning oil smell, went below, fair bit of Diesel in the Bilge.tracked it down and Diesel was spraying everywhere from the thing in the picture below (on the other engine of course which is hard to get to on that side)
    Ok I know this is dumb to all the super mechanics on here but I don't know my way around Diesel engines at all so not sure what these are but it's obviously diesel into the engine.
    so couple of questions.

1) what are these?
    2) I can see the nut on the top, should I try to tigten them, could it be as simple as that? and if so do they have torque specs or just tighten hard?
    3) there is also a lower nut at the base and hand tightening piece above it? tighten those?

As you can see, I don't know what I am doing and will likely need to get a mechanic but just asking in case there is a chance this is a simple fix.

side note I ran her at wide open for a minute not long before this assuming the high pressure at wide open had something to do with it?
    Man 610's by the way

Any help much appreciated.

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
    5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
    Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Ok I think I figured out it is injectors. And managed to get a hand on one and it was finger loose so hoping to tighten and it’s good the problem is access it’s a bitch to get to. Need to go buy a thin wrench tomorrow and see if I can get to them. Fingers crossed that does it.

Comment

Being an amateur mechanic with a little knowledge (which may be dangerous) I think you can tighten the large top nuts on the injector tubes if that is where it is leaking. Think you can tighten them until very snug so they don’t loosen again. Beyond that, if the injectors are leaking individually, you need an experienced mechanic to check it out. May be an easy fix, or may be you need new injectors because they are leaking. How many hours on engines?

also, I think you may be ok for this but if a diesel fuel system develops leaks, you may need to figure out how to bleed the air out of the injector system. With any luck, just tightening the top nuts will fix it. Good luck.
      1990 2755 - sold
      2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

That “thing” is your injection pump, pretty much for sure.

The tubes go to the injectors.

If one was loose tighten it, and check.

KEVIN SANDERS
        4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
        www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
        https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Thanks chaps. One is loose but need to find a thin wrench to get to them. Try tomorrow.

Comment

There are open slot box wrenches designed for those tight fits. Check your local auto parts store and tell them what you have to deal with.
            1990 2755 - sold
            2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

Comment

The wenches are or were called flare nut wrenches and are designed exactly for those type fittings. Harbor Freight has them https://www.harborfreight.com/5-pc-m...set-61357.html. At that price you could grind some clearances and not feel bad about it. They have Standard inch based sets too.
              P/C Pete
              Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
              1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
              Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
              MMSI 367770440

Comment

Get the right wrench and check them all. They don't need to be super tight. You may be able to find a torque spec online somewhere but I just checked my Lehman 120 service manual and it doesn't show anything for those nuts. Just make sure they're snug and use the right flare nut wrench. Part of the reason for using hand wrenches of the correct size is that you are limited in how tight you can pull with your hand. Its like self limiting torque. You want to use the right wrench so you don't mess up the shoulders on those nuts so make sure you find a flare nut wrench.
                R.J.(Bob) Evans
                Buchanan, SK
                Cierra 2755
                Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Super helpful on the wrench reco. Just motored back to the slip on one engine through some pretty dense fog. Beautiful on the lake. Was a good experience keeping a straight track with only the S/B motor running. Not that difficult though. Thrusters good for docking on one engine- life saver. Now off to find those wrenches and get my yoga skills going.

Comment

Woot woot! All fixed. Thanks for the advice folks. Managed to pick up a ratchet flare nut wrench. And doubt I could have done it without that. They are a total bitch to get to. Feels like I did yoga all day! But she tightened up a couple of turns and so far ran her for 30 minutes and not a drop. Then pumped out the bulge into a bucket and scrubbed her clean. Love it when I can actually fix things myself. Was in a panic as I am taking all my team from work out on Friday for the Xmas parade on the lake. Let’s hope she holds.
                    Thanks again. Love BOC !

Comment

Working...
                    X