1986 45 bayliner exhaust fumes in cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 45 bayliner exhaust fumes in cabin

Looking to purchase a 45 bayliner when we fired it up did a lot of smoking has 3000 hours on engine smoke was in the engine room could not find where it was coming from
    it did have a lot of smoke out the exhaust pipes didn't seem to want to clear injectors my need cleaning has anyone had this problem the present owner says it clears when running
    feed back with some ideas what causes this problem

Originally posted by happyour View Post
    Looking to purchase a 45 bayliner when we fired it up did a lot of smoking has 3000 hours on engine smoke was in the engine room could not find where it was coming from
    it did have a lot of smoke out the exhaust pipes didn't seem to want to clear injectors my need cleaning has anyone had this problem the present owner says it clears when running
    feed back with some ideas what causes this problem
    You are asking a few questions in tandem here - this is a 1986 so there could be a few issues to look at....
    - internal smoke
    Does it have wet or dry turbos? (is there a coolant jacket)
    The junction of the riser to the turbo and the turbo to the elbow
    - Smoke out the back
    Last tine injectors were checked and renewed
    same injection timing
    Same valve clearances
    Same air intakes and intercooler
    - Smoke at the back of the boat and soot
    This year has exhaust that exit under the platform, does it have exhaust extensions that go to the aft end of the swim step?

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

it has dry turbo with jackets ,no injector work has been done, very little maintenance on engines, no soot on back it has exhaust extensions
      it was 0 degrees when we ran the boat so very cold owner says when it heats up no smoke
      next move sea trial
      Thank for your input I will check for exhaust leak

Comment

The boat has block heaters that keep the engine warm what I need to do is turn them off and try starting the engines cold to see
        if there hard to fire up this my shed more light on the condition of them valves, injectors I will do a visual when there running
        manifold, turbo and exhaust pipe to back of boat to see if any leaks.

Comment

removed turbo very black with oil and soot oil was leaking from somewhere around connection to turbo some of the smoking problem is oil burning
          from the heat of the turbo

Comment

Do you have a fume sensor? All cabin boats should have one.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

No fume sensor and no carbon monoxide monitor that I could see the owner says it never gets smoke in the cabin
              but I did prove him wrong it is very dangerous to run the boat in that condition if I purchase this boat the first thing to install
              will be sensor and monitor.

Comment

Had turbo repaired oil seals replaced no more oil leak maybe no more smoke

Comment

Working...
                X