Maxwell Anchor Swivel Shackle SS - 10-12mm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maxwell Anchor Swivel Shackle SS - 10-12mm

So has anyone bought one of these dodads yet. My wife has an awful time getting the anchor up right side up.
    I am wondering what the chances are they could break.
    1988 3870
    Hino 4 cyl 210 turbos (upgrade)
    Hull extension
    LIves in Powell River

That’s a very good question- I have them on both of my larger boats. The Maxwell brand is the most expensive but also seems to be built more robust. If you buy one large enough the tensile strength will exceed your rope and chain. I always use loctite on the assembly bolt and have never had any bad experiences. Stay away from the Ebay Chinese knock offs.
    They do make it much easier to keep the rope from twisting and tangling and also improve the ability of the anchor to home itself when Using a capstan or windlass.

Gibraltar, Mi.
    1986- 3870- Hino 175's - Just purchased May ,2017
    34' Tollycraft- sold
    88 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
    14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

This is a really good topic and has been discussed before. The PO had a swivel. I took it off because of discussions that centered on the theme that ground tackle should be as simple as possible. One of the problems with swivels is side loading of the swivel. They are not as strong in that direction. I’ve been reluctant to put one back on but I have been thinking about it.

My anchor comes up upside down 50% of the time and is a bit of a bugger to right. I do it with a boat hook and the foot switches while my wife pilots. One time while trying to to right it the chain slipped off the gypsy and a 150’ of chain ripped out of the hawser hole before I stuck my shoe gently against it to get it slowed then stopped. Pretty exciting! All because the anchor was upside down.
      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
      MV Kia Orana
      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Man that sounds terrifying! I have yet to try out my new boats anchor. It has a windlass and they are new to me... better go practice!
        1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
        1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
        2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
        Michigan

Comment

I am not a fan of anchor swivels. Some web searching will result in a number of stories and photos of failures.

If you must use one, do not attach it directly to the anchor. Instead, use a short length of chain between the anchor and the swivel. One of the failure modes of the swivels is the clevis getting bent open by the anchor shank. Attaching it with a length of chain will prevent this.
          1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
          2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
          Anacortes, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Norton_Rider View Post
            I am not a fan of anchor swivels. Some web searching will result in a number of stories and photos of failures.

If you must use one, do not attach it directly to the anchor. Instead, use a short length of chain between the anchor and the swivel. One of the failure modes of the swivels is the clevis getting bent open by the anchor shank. Attaching it with a length of chain will prevent this.
            Excellent idea, I really don't relish the idea of my Rocna Vulcan sitting on the bottom without my boat being somehow connected to it.
            1988 3870
            Hull extension
            LIves in Powell River

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbird View Post
              That’s a very good question- I have them on both of my larger boats. The Maxwell brand is the most expensive but also seems to be built more robust. If you buy one large enough the tensile strength will exceed your rope and chain. I always use loctite on the assembly bolt and have never had any bad experiences. Stay away from the Ebay Chinese knock offs.
              They do make it much easier to keep the rope from twisting and tangling and also improve the ability of the anchor to home itself when Using a capstan or windlass.
              Yea, I felt that may be the case, my chain and boat specked out to 8 mm, but was thinking of going for the 10. Anything to help me sleep thru that north-wester. 60knots in Grace Harbour in September this year.
              1988 3870
              Hull extension
              LIves in Powell River

Comment

Working...
              X