starter motor on a 285

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter motor on a 285

So I think my starter is dead. Just a loud click from the solenoid. It seen getting harder to start. Voltage is good. Gonna pull it and inspect. Any tips on how to get it out? It's a 6.2 MPI 2006 model.

Pete
    2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Got one of these on the top somewhere ?

Use a heavy duty wire or a rubber handled screwdriver, jump the large lugs.

Post back what happened !
    Click image for larger version  Name:	710-89-96054t.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	396102
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Check the positive and negative battery cable connections at both ends and then as chief suggested verify the slave solenoid is doing its job.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I have not worked on one of these, is that a bored small block? If so then the starter R&R is the same as any other small block, sometimes you can reach the bolts underneath, sometimes you need to remove the exhaust manifold on that side. Sometimes you get a small water leak from the manifold water drain and it drips right on the solenoid terminals causing an intermittent no start condition. I had this about 7 seasons back and wound up replacing the solenoid and re-terminating all the wires. Now with the center riser exhaust I have the drain will not leak on the starter because its all the way at the rear of the manifold and I put gasket sealer on the threads.
      88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
      98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
      07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Hi. No it doesnt have an external soleniod like the pic, its all built into the starter motor. Its definitly drawing current as i used my multimeter across the main positive lead and earthed to the block and it almost smoked the small wires on my multimeter leads. The soleniod is clicking, just doesnt seem to throw the bendix out, im pretty sure its a siezed bendix.its been showing signs of failing as often the bendix would stay out too long and youd hear it overrun when starting, so i think its time for a new starter or atleast a rebuild

More so looking for advise on how to contort myself around the engine to get to the damn thing. 88fourwinns, i think your idea of removing the mani might be the way to go. its really tight in a 285 bilge. I think getting it off will be OK, but getting it back in will be a different story as i dont think i will be able to get 2 hands in there so only have 1 hand to hold the starter and then have to try get the bolts started... fun times...
        2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
          Nauti_Mike commented
          Editing a comment
          Check again Mercruiser uses a slave soleniod mount near the engine breaker in addition to 5he starter mounted soleniod

If you need to remove the starter pull the exhaust on the starboard side to gain better access.

• builderdude
          builderdude commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, gonna be a slave. Just verify its closing, you can test by jumping like chief suggested. Personally I use a remote starter switch to "jump" the slave, no arcing at the posts.

• peachypete82
          peachypete82 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah got it.. ill go check and see what happenes. I understand the process though, to check that voltage is passing though the soleniod. ill give it a short and see how it goes...

Post back !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Pete, I have a 2452 and it is also hell to change the starter motor. I did mine a few times now. It is a contortion but you will get used to it. Now, what I wanted to say was make sure that you don't have more than an inch or so of water in the bilge at any time. If it is high enough, it splashes onto the bendix when starting the engine and trashes the starter in about 3 months. I had to install an extra automatic bilge pump attached to an aluminium plate slid under the motor. That fixed the disposable starter issue.

Very best of luck. Your hands will heal eventually . . .
          Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
          1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
          MMSI 235061726

Comment

I'm lucky. I can reach both bolts pretty easily and only have to remove the rear seat and slide back the battery on that side.
            88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
            98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Hi guys

I didnt have a chance to get down to the marina last night. Will have to have a go this weekend and report back. Ive got a feeling the soleniod is working, when i was testing it last weekend the click/thud was coming from the starter motor area, but time will tell!!!! i have a feeling it is the bendix, and yes i often do have an inch of water in my bilge. Will let you know as soon as i get down there

Comment

Say the Slav didn't go tap the starter with a hammer.

Tap, Tap don't hit it like a cheating wife.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                  Nauti_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hit it like a cheating wife! Watch they hit back.

• peachypete82
                  peachypete82 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hahaha... ill give it a gentle tap, good idea

Well.... it was definitely dead. Must have had a good drink at some stage, rusty as!!!! installed new one, cranks so fast now, no wonder why.

Comment

• Nauti_Mike
                  Nauti_Mike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad she’s up and running.

• builderdude
                  builderdude commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah the old starter motor itself was rusted to oblivion, glad your cranking away again.

Yep gave all terminals a good clean, and now she cranks so fast i reckon the starter motor alone would push her to 8 knots

Comment

Great result !

You get the starter at DBelectrical ?

Manalapan N.J

Comment

From the local mercury dealer, he is only 5 mins from my house which is convenient. Oh, by the way, im in western australia

Comment

Never met a person from Australia I didn't like.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                      X