Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OMC Cobra work stand-gctid400693

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    OMC Cobra work stand-gctid400693

    Just curious what you use to hold your outdrive when working on it off the boat? I was thinking of building a stand with 2x4 or 4x4's. Anybody have any pics of similar setups? Thanks in advance.

    #2
    Jawhorse,workmate, or this u-pod from ebasic.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/U-Pod-Outdri...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ryId=100671605

    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...0398%2d%5f%2dN
    Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

    1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

    '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

    Manalapan N.J

    Comment


      #3
      Awesome, thanks. Will probably stop by HD on the way home and pick up a workmate.

      Comment


        #4
        Workmate is going to be too high and you are still going to need to use ropes/bungies/wood/something to hold the drive on there. You want something that you can drop the drive onto direct from the boat with no lifting. Same for going back on the boat - http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...read.php?36076 .

        Comment


          #5
          I saved this thread because I knew I would eventually pull a drive to work on but I had forgotten about it. Well I was just getting ready to fashion a work stand and had gathered much of the materials and I ran across and read this thread again. As soon as I saw the picture of the workmate I said "bingo" we have a winner.

          Couldn't be any simpler, thanks for saving me a couple of hours as I have 2 hanging on the wall. Drive fits perfectly.

          Comment


            #6
            Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
            I saved this thread because I knew I would eventually pull a drive to work on but I had forgotten about it. Well I was just getting ready to fashion a work stand and had gathered much of the materials and I ran across and read this thread again. As soon as I saw the picture of the workmate I said "bingo" we have a winner.

            Couldn't be any simpler, thanks for saving me a couple of hours as I have 2 hanging on the wall. Drive fits perfectly.
            FWIW, I built one similar to Orca's link. Cost was about $20 and about an hour worth of labor. Slick as could be. I can see how the workmate would be great as well, but I love that mine is on wheels. To put it back on, rolled it right up to the back of the boat and rolled it on in. Easy as it gets.

            Comment


              #7
              I was going to ask the same question. Thanks for the info and links.

              Comment


                #8
                Made my own some years back....

                [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/722915=31985-cobra 2.jpg[/img]

                [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/722915=31986-cobra.jpg[/img]
                88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

                Long Island Sound Region

                Comment


                  #9
                  jmg-in-alask wrote:
                  FWIW, I built one similar to Orca's link. Cost was about $20 and about an hour worth of labor. Slick as could be. I can see how the workmate would be great as well, but I love that mine is on wheels. To put it back on, rolled it right up to the back of the boat and rolled it on in. Easy as it gets.
                  I agree the stands made with wheels area a great solution. I have a mobile engine hoist so all I needed was a stable platform to work on the drive. The prop housing fits right through the opening; angle it so the prop shaft goes under the frame and it sits on the cavitation fins and is completely stable. It's the perfect height as I prefer to stand up to work instead of squatting or sitting near the ground due to my old knees and back. (If I had known I would live this long, I would have taken much better care of myself.)

                  My reply to the Chief was because I had forgotten about this thread, spent some time thinking about a solution, gathered the materials which I already had, re-read the thread and realized the solution was already hanging on the wall in my garage.

                  The KISS principle definitely at work here for me :hypnotysed:. Thanks Chief.:arr

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Fish-a-Palooza wrote:
                    I agree the stands made with wheels area a great solution. I have a mobile engine hoist so all I needed was a stable platform to work on the drive. The prop housing fits right through the opening; angle it so the prop shaft goes under the frame and it sits on the cavitation fins and is completely stable. It's the perfect height as I prefer to stand up to work instead of squatting or sitting near the ground due to my old knees and back. (If I had known I would live this long, I would have taken much better care of myself.)

                    My reply to the Chief was because I had forgotten about this thread, spent some time thinking about a solution, gathered the materials which I already had, re-read the thread and realized the solution was already hanging on the wall in my garage.

                    The KISS principle definitely at work here for me :hypnotysed:. Thanks Chief.:arr
                    Totally agree with you on standing up to work on it. I may actually get a workhorse as well because I think I may split the case this summer to change out some of the shift rod seals and it would be nice to stand. I love the wheels though so I can roll it up for putting it on, which seems to be the biggest challenge on these. Once it is on the stand, I don't have any problem picking it up and putting it onto a workhorse. I think having both may be an ideal scenario. One for taking off and installing the drive, one to use while working on it.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X