Tilt/Trim pump leaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilt/Trim pump leaking?

After my 275 sits in the water for a day or two, I notice that the drive seems to be tilted up slightly. I’ve checked the trim fluid and don’t seem to be using any. Also noticing that it takes a lot of running the pump to get the drive fully down. I’m thinking that the fluid is bypassing the internal valving or seals inside the pump and causing the pump not to hold the drive fully down on an extended basis. I’m thinking of buying a new replacement unit but before spending the $300 on one i’d appreciate any thoughts.
    1990 2755 - sold
    2005 275 - sold (now boatless)

This does not make any sense. How can the drive raise up when the boat is just sitting? The pump has to be running to create pressure to raise the drive. Any leak either in the pump or else where would cause the drive to lower all the way.
    1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
    5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
      Rick_Kenyon commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree that makes sense nonetheless that is what is happening. It’s not coming up much, maybe an inch on the rams. I’m thinking that it is actually hanging level based on the boat position in the water, and that there is some amount of down pressure required on the rams to keep the drive fully in against the transom. Thinking that the seals inside the pump to hold that down pressure are leaking and losing the down pressure over time.

Sounds like there may be air in the system. Since you are in the water it would be hard to bleed at the ram; but, you may be able to work it out by raising and lowering to the limit multiple times.

Comment

That sounds like the easiest thing to try first. Thanks.
      1990 2755 - sold

Comment

Agree with richardson with possible air, was the system serviced recently? What does the fluid look like?
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
          Rick_Kenyon commented
          Editing a comment
          it’s a Bravo 1 drive and it was pulled and resealed in April of this year. Also had bellows done, etc. I didn’t notice that any of the hydraulic lines had to be removed from the rams to pull the drive but if it was necessary to do that, i’m Sure the mechanic did it. Fluid looks like it’s straight out of a new bottle.
          Going to try raising and lowering the drive several times tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Is the drive actually up or, because of how the boat sits in the water, going to vertical. What happens if you run the boat and put some forward pressure on the drive? How about reverse? Does anything change? Have you been checking the drive position before leaving the boat? I’m thinking, without being able to put an eye on it, that it might be the reverse lock valve. You come into the dock and use reverse to stop the boat. If the valve is weak, the drive can pull itself up. Then it could push itself back down when you go forward.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

• Rick_Kenyon
          Rick_Kenyon commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the drive is going to vertical. It only moves out about an inch on the rams from being full in. When running the boat, I can only get the drive to fully trim in if I am going around 2000 rpm or higher, then it takes a constant down switch pressure on the trim switch to get it to react. I don’t think it’s being affected by reverse operation. When I came in today I backed into the slip and when I left the boat and looked at it from behind the swim step it appeared to be fully or close to fully down and in.

I just read about doing this,maybe it will help you. Disconnect one end of the trim cylinders so the piston can move all the way out and all the way in. I'd be very careful when you reach the full out and the full in positions. This should get rid of any air in the system. Make sure you do not run the pump dry.
        1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
        5.7 Bravo 3

Comment

We ran the boat about 15 miles downriver yesterday to a state park marina. Before we left I ran the drive full up and down about a dozen times. I think the drive is staying more completely down now. Thanks to all for the suggestions. If I have any more problem with it, next step will be to haul out, which is no big deal. Thanks again.
          1990 2755 - sold

Comment

Working...
          X