97(39) 2452 Marine Air Question-gctid400525

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

97(39) 2452 Marine Air Question-gctid400525

Recently purchased the boat and previous owner says a/c always worked great! So far, haven't been able to get it to do a thing. Is the water pump 12 volt? If so, how do you turn it on? I have downloaded and read the manual...still pondering. Does the pump have to be running for the unit to come on? So far, the unit is dead.....no hum, no fan, nadda. Thinking about flushing the pump with a garden hose to see if it may free up before pulling it out. Thanks for any help!

The raw water pump is 120VAC. You need to be connected to shore power or running a generator to run air.

Yes - the pump must run for the compressor to run for more than a few seconds.

In most boats, there are 2 circuit breakers; one for the pump and one for the A/C controls and compressor. Be sure both circuit breakers are closed.

A flush with a garden hose won't do any harm and might help. Be sure you have the through hull seacock open for the raw water pump/strainer.

Comment

My line 2 is a/c only. Suppose the pump is wired in on that circuit. My line 1 does have a "sprare" breaker but who knows what that might be? I only have 1 shore cord, so can't power up both legs at once (no switch to unify both legs using 1 cord). I just went out and pressured up on the system via garden hose and after pressuing up it did blow out a clog.....black water, then ran it clear for a while...tried to run the a/c during this water flow but again nadda. power panel suddenly showed a reverse polarity light. switched around plug @house and still same. nice mystery! any thoughts are appreciated.

Comment

tjbj78 wrote:
        My line 2 is a/c only. Suppose the pump is wired in on that circuit. My line 1 does have a "sprare" breaker but who knows what that might be? I only have 1 shore cord, so can't power up both legs at once (no switch to unify both legs using 1 cord). I just went out and pressured up on the system via garden hose and after pressuing up it did blow out a clog.....black water, then ran it clear for a while...tried to run the a/c during this water flow but again nadda. power panel suddenly showed a reverse polarity light. switched around plug @house and still same. nice mystery! any thoughts are appreciated.
        No - that spare breaker won't be supplying the pump. Your "line 2" breaker will be it. It will supply both the pump and the compressor.What is the A/C control panel showing? Is it powering up and displaying ambient temperature?Also, sounds like you need a 30A male to 2 female splitter.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

tjbj78 wrote:
          Recently purchased the boat and previous owner says a/c always worked great! So far, haven't been able to get it to do a thing. Is the water pump 12 volt? If so, how do you turn it on? I have downloaded and read the manual...still pondering. Does the pump have to be running for the unit to come on? So far, the unit is dead.....no hum, no fan, nadda. Thinking about flushing the pump with a garden hose to see if it may free up before pulling it out. Thanks for any help!
          Is the control panel on the a/c unit turning on? The unit will turn on without the pump running, but it SHOULD be running. If the pump has air in the line, it may be turning but not moving any water, generally this is bad and can quickly lead to pump failure($$$$).

If your a/c unit panel is powering up, and your not pumping water, you need to troubleshoot why. Generally the most common issue is air in the line and its fairly easy to get it working. But we need to know for sure if the unit and or pump is powering up. If your unit is powered up and on, and you have no water flow go to the pump, is it humming? spinning impellar? hot? Check that. If the pump is indeed "trying" to work, it may already be too late depending on what type of pump you have. Give me answers to these questions and I can help you troubleshoot further. I have gone down this road before more than once. If the pump is siezed I can try to help you fix it, it is doable. Please also try to give us a description or manufacture of your pump also.

If your a/c unit isnt powering up at all, then defer to the previous posts about the breakers and such. Just remember, if the a/c is on and running, water needs to be flowing as well.

Comment

Does your panel have a breaker marked "transfer?" If so, turn that on. If not, you will need the splitter shown above to send power to both outlets.

Posting a pic of your electrical panel may help us help you.

Comment

A/C unit is Marine Air Systems CMM7KVC-2KB. The pump and/or the unit are not showing any signs of powering up. There is not an a/c control panel, only the fan switch and below it the thermostat knob. As I stated, I hooked a garden hose via the strainer assy and ran water thru it for a few minutes. The previous owner had the boat in salt water so I am thinking the pump impellar is froze up (as have been all the other pumps). thanks

Comment

tjbj78 wrote:
                A/C unit is Marine Air Systems CMM7KVC-2KB. The pump and/or the unit are not showing any signs of powering up. There is not an a/c control panel, only the fan switch and below it the thermostat knob. As I stated, I hooked a garden hose via the strainer assy and ran water thru it for a few minutes. The previous owner had the boat in salt water so I am thinking the pump impellar is froze up (as have been all the other pumps). thanks
                your troubleshooting it wrong. You just said the pump and/or unit are now showing signs of powering up. There is one of those DING DING DINGs. The unit sends power to the pump and activates it. So if your not getting the unit or pump turning on you need to look at power.

You have 2 shorepower plugs, Line 1 and Line 2. Some boats are setup so you can transfer power from Line 1 to Line 2, my boat does this. If you have a "transfer" breaker you can do this also. If you dont have one, then you MUST have power on line 1 and line 2 in order to power all devices.

Sounds to me like your not getting power, running a garden hose through is doing nothing. Thats like adding air to your car tires because the engine wont start, your going down the wrong path here. Get your power sorted and I belive you will resolve this.

See how my right breakers say Line 2 and the other says Line One Transfer. If you dont have a transfer breaker like me, you need to run power to both line 1 and 2 with a splitter as shown in previous posts. If your still having trouble understanding, post a pic of your panel and we can help ya further. On my setup if I dont flip that transfer breaker on to transfer power from line 1 to line 2, or just run power straight to line 2 via a splitter or separate cord, all the breakers on the right will not power.

Comment

Had time to revisit my a/c issue. jumped power to the unit and it ran fine. Jumped power to the pump and it came on too. Just not getting it from the breaker panel across to the unit. About to go out and check the breaker and line....bad breaker-dead short or the sorts. My line 2 (a/c only) is showing power on the meter. By the way, the garden hose did blow a dirt dobber nest out of the discharge, which my intentions were to acheive a clear path for water flow. Lastly I will check the on-off fan...cool switch, doesn't feel solid in the selector. thanks again everyone

Comment

tjbj78 wrote:
                    Had time to revisit my a/c issue. jumped power to the unit and it ran fine. Jumped power to the pump and it came on too. Just not getting it from the breaker panel across to the unit. About to go out and check the breaker and line....bad breaker-dead short or the sorts. My line 2 (a/c only) is showing power on the meter. By the way, the garden hose did blow a dirt dobber nest out of the discharge, which my intentions were to acheive a clear path for water flow. Lastly I will check the on-off fan...cool switch, doesn't feel solid in the selector. thanks again everyone
                    So your line is showing power, you flip the breaker on then flip the ac breaker on and nothing? Follow the path, process of elimination at this point. Pretty easy to narrow down from there.

Comment

We've got one of those marine Air units. On ours the first indent on the fan controll is "fan only" that will run without the compressor or the outside water pump. Those units are real hard to test out of the water. there is also a sediment filter down between the water inlet and the knife switch. You have to remove two nuts & the top, pull out the cylindrical wire basket & clean.

Don

Comment

Turned out that the line 2 A/C breaker was bad. Hooked up the line to a line 1 "spare" and it powered up nicely. The admiral is pleased....to say the least! Thanks for everyones help.

Comment

Working...
                        X