Replacing waste deck fill on 2855?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing waste deck fill on 2855?

Deck fill cap for waste fill tank on my 2855 is stuck. I've tried everything possible to get in unstuck without much success - WD40, PB, etc. I've even drilled out two holes in the cap, inserted grade 8 boltsin each hole. then used a bar between them for leverage to unscrew. No luck. I'll try once more, may be heat it up with blowtorch and give it couple of gentle knocks with a hammer, but I don't have much hope left.

Does anyone has expedience replacing waste deck fill on 2855 Bayliner Ciera?

Originally posted by teres View Post
    Deck fill cap for waste fill tank on my 2855 is stuck. I've tried everything possible to get in unstuck without much success - WD40, PB, etc. I've even drilled out two holes in the cap, inserted grade 8 boltsin each hole. then used a bar between them for leverage to unscrew. No luck. I'll try once more, may be heat it up with blowtorch and give it couple of gentle knocks with a hammer, but I don't have much hope left.

Does anyone has expedience replacing waste deck fill on 2855 Bayliner Ciera?
    I used a propane torch to heat mine then quick hit it with cold water. Did it 2-3 times then some more PB. Be carfull, surrounding Gelcoat doesn't like to much heat, go slow and easy with he heat.

Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

while I agree with builderdude, use a pencil torch on the ring and cap, generous supply of penetrant, and then cool only the cap with an ice cube held with a wash cloth.. the o ring seal may be the culprit. i have looked at replacing my sanitary hoses, and it looks to require removal of holding tank and other below deck items on the SB side.
      cglazier - "Fiftybucks"
      1995 2855 7.4 bravo II

Comment

I cut one out with a dremel once when it absolutely refused to move. Cut the centre out then cut a couple of slots towards the threads maybe 1/4 inch apart and break out the section between the cuts. Probably not what you want to hear but it didn't actually take that long.
        R.J.(Bob) Evans
        Buchanan, SK
        Cierra 2755
        Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
        Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

Buy a new SS waste fitting, you probable have a pot metal version.
          Go below and try and unscrew the nut, or if screwed on from the top then remove it after disconnecting the hose.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Salt water boat?
            2007 Discovery 246
            300mpi BIII
            Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Thank you for advice, everybody. I would try heat/cool approach and give it couple of gentle blows with a hammer before proceeding with a dremel. The best way out would be to replace SS deckfill completely, however, a hoseclamp is too big for deckfill opening and I can not reach to in from within engine compartment without removing batteries and may be few other things that are in the way. Next time I'm at the boat I'll take a short video to explain the kind of situation I'm in.

Comment

Try a little heat and then touch the cap edge with bees wax. The bees wax has properties that make it superior to any other products.
                If this does not work I would start removing batteries and anything else that prevents you from getting to the clamp. If you go that far replace with new stainless steel drain and replace the hose also.
                Good luck
                Gibraltar, Mi.
                1986- 3870- Hino 175's
                1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
                14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbird View Post
                  Try a little heat and then touch the cap edge with bees wax. The bees wax has properties that make it superior to any other products.
                  If this does not work I would start removing batteries and anything else that prevents you from getting to the clamp. If you go that far replace with new stainless steel drain and replace the hose also.
                  Good luck
                  My understanding is that to remove/replace hose I would need to empty the holding tank first. Perhaps this could be done in two stages - first replace the SS drain, pump out, then replace the hose.

Comment

Working...
                  X