Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to make a radar arch for my cruiser.......

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to make a radar arch for my cruiser.......

So everything is done with my cruiser. I have boat modification "cabin fever." I have been trying to figure out what else I can do to the boat. The only thing I can come up with is to add a radar arch but I don't want to afford the $1,500 at minimum for one. I want to make one myself. The width is 86". The necessary height is at least 50". I already have the plans made up for it. My thought was use 1/2" marine plywood for the outside and inside. I then want to use 3/4" marine plywood for the sides butted at 90 degrees. Making the total thickness about 4 to 5 inches thick. Then screw it all together with aluminum screws. I want to "router" the corners for a rounded appearance. Then for attachment to the boat use aluminum all thread gorilla glued up the bottom of the arch in at least 8 inches then drilled through the rear deck gunwails and run nuts through. I can add PVC pipes to run speaker wire and cables and stuff. The only thing I have never done as far as building stuff like that is applying fiberglass. I have watched the videos and it seems pretty straight forward. I know there are the multiple layers and reasons for different types of glass for strength, structure and support and stuff. I know there will be copious amounts of sanding to get it smooth. I already roller painted the boat a very bright white from the rub rail down and it came out way better than I thought it would. I can see all of this costing about 500 to 600 at the most. What am I missing?
    1994 Bayliner Capri 1850, 3 liter Mercruiser, 9.9 Johnson kicker.
    1987 Wellcraft Antigua 265, Mercruiser 383 Stroker V8.
    Pulls with Ext. Cab 2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD

How much weight are you planning on putting on the arch? Sounds like you might be "over engineering" just a bit.
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

So I was talked out of making the radar arch. I have since found one that the measurements fit my Antigua perfectly. My wife is trying to talk me out of this one too... Here is the downside. I would need to go to New York State from S/E Ohio to get it or have it shipped here from New York. The arch weighs about 250 lbs. Uship said a max transport price will be about $232. The guy wants $300 for the arch. I have posted on the wellcraft forums about this but no one answers anything there. Is anyone familiar enough with a 1987 Wellcraft Antigua to know if the rear deck walls will support a 250ish pound load across both deck wall tops? The butt end of the arms that bolt to the wall tops are 29" long. The deck walls are 38 1/2 inches long before the wall tops slope up for the helm control. The walls are 5 inches thick. The arch is 3 inches thick at the base. I have only seen one Wellcraft Antigua with a radar arch on it. The structural integrity of the boat deck walls is perfect and solid. However, if they aren't made to be able to support that weight then I may likely be hindering the integrity of the read deck wall. The seller has no clue what boat the arch came off of? BTW.. the trailering height at the deck wall placement is 7ft and the height of the top of the arch is 5ft 3 inches so 12ft 3 inches total. Max vehicle height is 13ft 6in in Ohio. All roads I travel have a 14ft clearance height for obstacles.

Comment

Is that the height with the radar radome?!
        Bayliner 195 Bowrider 2013 4.3l 220hp MPI
        Alpha 1, Gen II
        2012 Toyota Highlander V6 4wd with tow package
        Albany, Ohio

MMSI: 338234042

Beware the men of measured merriment
        (Sinclair Lewis, Arrowsmith, paraphrased)

Comment

Nick good point. No that is not. One of the other purposes of it is that the mounting plate for the all around light just in front of the windshield has been removed and filled in. I plan to mount one on top center of the arch that is 5 inches tall. Thank you for pointing that out.

Comment

You can always epoxy in some reinforcing where the new arch is going to bolt up, you might have to modify the arch base also idk.
            BTW in you pic it looks like your hitch ball needs to come up a bit, looks like lots of weight on those front trailer tires.
            Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
            (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
            The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

for the attachment area on the boat: you could drill a tiny pilot hole in order to assess
              the thickness and material. ideally, the bit would reveal fiberglass all the way through.
              it would be good to know if it is glass over wood cause you'd want to ensure that the
              area doesn't have any possible water penetration.
              as for whether it is a strong enough area... do you have people step on that area? if
              a 200lbs person can stand on it, then shoot yes, its probably strong enough.
              Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Comment

Builder dude, I agree completely. I have a 5in lift bar with 2 5/16 ball for just that.

Comment

Aspen1880, There are treads imprinted on the wall tops as people can step on it and into the lower deck. Good point. I hadn't thought about that. Thank you.

Comment

How difficult is it to put a hinge on a radar arch bottom? Are there special hinges made for something like this? I can go to Carter Lumber, Menards or Lowes for heavy duty door hinges but I wonder if they will be enough. What Nick said has me wondering if adding the actual radar dome or rotator will make it too high.

Comment

Originally posted by dockofthebay View Post
                      How difficult is it to put a hinge on a radar arch bottom? Are there special hinges made for something like this? I can go to Carter Lumber, Menards or Lowes for heavy duty door hinges but I wonder if they will be enough. What Nick said has me wondering if adding the actual radar dome or rotator will make it too high.
                      I have see a hinged mount made for the radar so it can be flipped down to clear bridges. Basically two pieces of plate SS with a hinge. Then some type of quick release fastener to allow you to fold it over.

1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

You could hinge the radar mount if that's the only clearance issue. Like Mike said stainless would be the way to go.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX"
                        '93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
                        (.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled)
                        The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                        Misc. projects thread
                        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

I need technical advice folks. The guy working on my trailer has been doing boat hauling for 40 years before he got into trailer repair almost 20 years ago. He said my biggest problem is going to be the height in hauling for clearance issues because not every roadway is cut clear at 14 feet high as state mandated. He also said that side to side sway from the tower while going down the road can crush the wall that the arch would sit on. He said putting a hinge on it to be layed down can be bad in that since it weighs almost 300 pds it is likely that it will damage the plexiglass windshield and top rim. I can understand all of these as possible concerns but this guy also likes to talk and share his vast array of knowledge. The guy is brilliant. Don't get me wrong. He is the only person I trust to work on my trailers. But I really want this arch and the price is ridiculously low. I need advice folks. The boat is from 1987. What do I do?

Comment

First I would not let it rest on the windshield but come up with some type of brace to support it to the deck in at least two places. The points were the hinge attaches willl need to be reinforced and large backer plates to spread the load. Does the arch really weigh 300 pounds?
                            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Well I texted the guy asking what the actual weight was so I could determine if my boat would support it. He literally replied..."Oh, I can't get that information for you." I said well I need it if I am going to buy it off of you. He hasn't replied since.

Comment

Working...
                              X