Looking for Stern Line Reel ideas-gctid400446

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Stern Line Reel ideas-gctid400446

I recently picked up a 600' roll of 3/8 poly to use as a stern line.

I won't need it all the time and as I have a 21' Santiago, space is a consideration. I was just interested to see what others do.

I was thinking of rigging something I could place in the live well for storage as I don't use that except to keep beer cold sometimes. I saw some suggestions of using a plastic garden hose reel, but that seems a bit cumbersome.

Maybe an extension cord reel of some sort??

It would be nice if it was something that would allow me to attach one end to the boat and take the reel with me cause unless someone is at both ends, it's not going to be easy to secure the length I might need at different times.

It's main use is if we anchor and want a shore line.
    Aquatic Muse
    Mount Vernon, WA
    MMSI: 367498870
    '79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

why do you need 600ft?

Comment

I use an extension cord reel but only need 150 to 300 feet. 150 if I don't mind getting out and detaching from the shore and 300 to release the line from the boat and reel it in. I have never needed 600 feet. You can put 300 feet on those reels... not much more...

Walmart: about $4:

Doug ;}
      MMSI: 338068776
      "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I was looking at those.. Guess I was on the right track..

As far as the 600 feet... I just haven't cut it yet. It was on sale for only $15.00 for the whole 600 foot reel. I wanted to find out what I would be storing it on, then cut it as appropriate.
        Aquatic Muse
        Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

This is what I have. Basically welded straps and powder coated. It hangs over a railing.

Behind the canvas, there's a horizontal railing/bar to keep the reel in a vertical position.

And allow it to stay put when pulling the line out when there's tension on the line.

Pat
          Paragon
          1999 4788

Comment

Nice rig Cosmo... I have also seen the reels loaded like that but with PVC as the base/holder...
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I use one of those typical garden hose reels available from almost any hardware or big box store. I modified it a bit by widening out the drum width with a spacer and some longer through bolts. It holds 300' of 1/2" poly and stows under one of the bridge seats. To use it I just set it on the hard top with a tie to a rail stanchion so I don't pull it over board when I go to shore.

Comment

My brain must be in idle today... as usual...

For those that mount these reels, how do you regulate how much to let out and keep it from reeling out more? Do you just let it all out and deal with the extra on shore? Do you let out what yo need then secure the line to a cleat? Even for those that run the line out'n-back for a quick release must secure the line from the reel somehow.

Again, I have ideas of how I would do it, but having not used it yet, looking for what those with more experience do.

I do appologize for the seemingly basic q's, but when it comes to boats I like to be armed with as much knowledge as possible. I also realize I can be annoying... but I am grateful for all the help and information you guys provide.

Thanks in advance
                Aquatic Muse
                Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

Well, lesson in engineering learned. Got one of those extension cord reels and it only holds 150'. So that's cool for a reel of 150'. I'd still like to get about 300 on a reel, that just seems about the right length to cover just about anything.
                  Aquatic Muse
                  Mount Vernon, WA

Comment

the garden hose variety holds a lot more. Mark the rope every 10-20ft. Let it spin out to where you want it and attach it to a cleat.

Comment

I thought that I might have to rig some kind of drag for the hose reel to keep it from paying out too fast, but it hasn't been a problem for me.

Our technique, for what it's worth, is to drop the hook where we can get between 3:1 and 4:1 scope to the point that we are as close to the shore as we dare to be. This isn't always easy, or even possible because of the nature of the anchorage, position of other boats, wind and tide, or a host of other reasons. I'm always more comfortable at right angles to the beach, but this isn't always possible either.

Anyway, I'll drop the hook with a few metres of rode out more than what the depth is and with my wife at the helm, go astern slow in the direction of the stern tie. When I start to get a lead I'll let out another few meters and continue until I am reasonably close to where I'd like to end up. Then I'll have her just kick the engines in neutral and let the rode settle down. Then I'll get her to reverse again until I get a lead, then into neutral. We'll do this two or three times then just keep her in reverse, both engines at idle. If I've got a real strong lead, and no movement I'll flop the tender in the water, tie the stern line to the tender, and row ashore. In the mean time my wife holds position, more or less. I'll take the line ashore and around a tree, or ring, or whatever and back to the tender where I pile in a bunch of slack. I do this so it pays out on the row back to the boat without having to try bring it off the reel and through the ring. When I get back to the boat I just belay the end to one of the stern cleats, secure the tender temproarily, then belay the line coming from the reel to the opposite cleat. At that point we cut engines and the secure the tender permanently. Then I just haul in on the reel side cleat and re secure when I'm happy with the rode lead and tension on the stern line. This being accomplished, I just reel in the excess on to the drum and secure it.

When leaving, after the engines are warmed up I just let go the free end of the line and reel it back on to the drum. You want to reel in quickly, but smoothly so the tail doesn't whip around and tie itself into a knot. My wife is at the helm to position the boat if wind and tide make it necessary. Once the stern line is in and secure it's just weigh anchor and go.

Comment

I've got 580' on a garden hose reel. Previous owner made a PVC rig that fits into a rod holder and then hold the reel - works great. Drop the hook, back it down, 5:1 scope min, let it grab, keep both engines in reverse - boat stays put. Drop dinghy, insert wife and kid - kick 'em to shore with the end of the stern line. They row to shore, wrap rope around tree/ring/cable etc., pull slack and I hold spool, while they hand-over-hand back to the boat. Set both lines on cleat, engines to neutral and shut down.

when it's time to leave - fire mains, drop stern line off cleat, pull in and rel so slack end goes back to shore, around the tree and back to boat without a second trip. Raise the hook, and away you go...

Why 600' (sorry - 580') of line? So I can get 300' away from shore and have enough to double the line - simple

Comment

Working...
                        X