454 repower underway!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

454 repower underway!

Well its that special time of year in michigan when the boats come out of the water and the end of season work begins. I picked up a formula 31 pc in need of new powerplants. Boy is my work cut out for me. No info could be found on pulling the engines, they are extremely tight and tucked back. Never the less i got them out and off to my builder.

I chose motor city muscle in clawson, and so far im happy woth whats in the works. These are mark iv 454's stock 310hp. Getting full long block build. The heads are peanut port gm's which is known to be leas than desirable and a point of concern of mine as im going above a stock rebuild. However ive found much documented data on successful port work of these heads so im optimistic. For a low rpm torque monster these are actually going to do me very well and i plan on having the engines dyno tuned so numbers will support my claims.

Long block rebuild
    "stage 2" head port and polish
    mild cam grind to match
    performer intake
    roller rockers

should put me in the 450-500 range around 3000-3500 rpm! Wish me luck, 13k is what im in for so far. Im sure more to go.

Now to pull my fuel tanks, strip the bilge, clean up wiring and replace ever hose i can. Pulling gen set for cleaning repaint and a new mounting plate. New ss mounting brackets for trim pumps. New bulk heads and heat sheilds. Replace bilge blower tubes.. ect. So much work to do in the end i hope its worth it. Cant wait for next season and drop in my new engines turn the key and figure out what kind of props im going to now need!
    1993 formula pc 31 twin 454 bravo 2
    1989 2655 cierra 5.7 omc cobra
    2014 "searay" tandom trailer

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Anchor bay clinton river
    Michigan

Comment

Anchor bay clinton river
      Michigan

Comment

Looking forward to seeing the dyno numbers! Not sure about putting so much work into a set of peanut port cast iron heads tho. For the money you probably could have bought a set of ready to go aluminum edelbrock marine heads and been way better off with not only the increased flow but the weight savings is huge. But regardless its exciting to do a full build like that.

i was estimating my build at conservative 425. So i am curious to the numbers you get. Are you stroking them also?
        Doug
        1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
        496 big block - Bravo ll leg
        The Doghouse
        Prince George BC

Comment

No strokers. To get low rpm torque you need air speed. Too much volume in heads and you lose that velocity. Aluminum heads are $2200. Port work is $500 + 250 for roller rockers. A fraction...

i wanted strokers with aluminum heads but in a series of unfortunate events the 15k i was counting on from my old boat fell through so this is all out of pocket now.

Anchor bay clinton river
          Michigan

Comment

Give this a read
            [IMG] PEANUT PORT HEADS WITH RECTANGLE PORT GASKET ABOVE 346236 1975-87 454 Open 113cc .PEANUT SLIGHTLY LARGER, COMMON EARLY OVAL PORT HEADS WITH...

Anchor bay clinton river
            Michigan

Comment

Yes i have read that and other info on the peanut oort heads. For me i was going not only for torque but for weight loss as well. With the stroker crank and being bored oversize with a bit bigger cam and aluminum intake the edelbrock aluminum performer heads were perfect. They will also gain you almost a full compression point over stock heads and dont have ports that are too large that you will lose the intake velocity that your worried about. The extra compression is possible with aluminum heads also. Cast iron it is not. Budget is a controlling factor tho and i hear you loud and clear on that as the admiral has now frozen the boat budget for winter!!!!!lol
              Doug
              1995 2859 -extensively rebuilt/restored 2016/17
              496 big block - Bravo ll leg
              The Doghouse
              Prince George BC

Comment

Originally posted by sketch96 View Post
                Budget is a controlling factor tho and i hear you loud and clear on that as the admiral has now frozen the boat budget for winter!!!!!lol
                You gotta learn how to secretly funnel money from other accounts into the boat budget.
                Esteban
                Huntington Beach, California
                2018 Element 16
                Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
                Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Hahaha...

Anchor bay clinton river
                  Michigan