More Boat Cover Saga, Gnashing of Teeth, and Controversy-gctid828536

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Boat Cover Saga, Gnashing of Teeth, and Controversy-gctid828536

So we waited until the season ended to look for a winter boat cover for our 2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge LX.

That was probably our first mistake. Several online websites advertise "Custom" and "Semi-Custom" covers, having you take specific measurements to insure the cover will fit. One company, sealskincovers.com, told me in an online chat, "All we need is your year, make and model, unless you have added additions, they're guaranteed to fit, we even pay to ship it. These are semi-custom covers matched up to the dimensions and style of your year, make, and model. As long as we have the correct information, there should be no reason for error."

I told them we did have an addition, a GARMIN 18HD atop our radar arch. What to do about that? She offered a "T-Top":

Me: What is a T-Top?

Linda: It means the cover needs more material to go over the arch

Me: I see. Well, if it didn't work, we could return it for a refund and you would cover return shipping?

Linda: If you're not satisfied with your purchase, you have 30 days for exchanges & return. We offer free exchanges and you can also return for a refund but there is a 20% restocking fee to help clean, repackage and pay part of the shipping within 30 days.

In chatting further, I asked for the cover dimensions (longest length and widest width), so I could do the math myself. On this $500 cover, I would be risking $100 plus shipping.

Linda: I do apologize as I do not have this information.

We do not have dimensions to semi custom covers.

Me: Maybe I could call and talk with someone?

Linda: Our call center is closed, they are open Monday - Friday 10am-6pm EST. You can fill out a ticket with your concern on our contact us page. It's the fastest and easiest way to get help.

So I filled out a ticket, even cut and pasted the chat session text into it.

I then called the next business day, and after much gnashing of teeth, found out they would NOT provide dimensions, and further, their cover would only work if our radar arch pivoted down! No matter about the Radome, the arch itself was a problem! Now, I believe that most 2855's of our year DO NOT have hinged Radar Arches our does, because the previous owner installed hinges and bolts (or so he told me). But lowering it with the dome is a pretty big deal- I didn't want to have to do it- so I gave up on this company.

Another company, north-american-waterway.com, advertised custom covers and was more helpful, but with significantly higher cost, about $900. I asked them about the radome, and our anchor and roller on the bow. Would there be a cutout for them?

Me: So it looks like if we ordered the specific cover shown on your web page (where it directs measuring points for our boat), there would be no cutout for the bowsprit/anchor? I understand the issue for the radar (since we installed it), but if the pattern the canvas factory uses does not have an opening at the bow, we would not be able to use the cover at all. Do you have any pics showing a cover for our type of boat? I'm thinking it must have a bow opening.

Me: Since the web page describes the covers as custom, I thought it would be possible to specify cutouts, and that was why we did the measuring.

The reply was, "send us some pictures of the bow and we'll see if the canvas factory can make it with a cutout" which I did. The email came back with a YES, they can do the cutout. Now onto the Radome issue which is where we stand now.

The point of this long-winded post is, has anyone had success in buying a "factory-pattern" cover for a specific boat like ours? It would seem there must be hundreds of 2000 Bayliner 2855's on the water.. even some with radars on their arches!

I know some of you will say buy a custom cover from a local shop, and I've priced it; it's crazy expensive. Our budget this year includes replacing the original vinyl Camper Canvas with a custom-made Sunbrella (to the tune of about $5000), so there isn't a lot more for a cover.
    Jeff Prime
    "Optimystic Prime"
    2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
    Anacortes, WA

Have you called Leta at Leta's Top Shop? If by chance mooring covers were offered by Bayliner as an accessory she may have the pattern. Also, she will sometimes make a pattern for custom canvas work that she does, if she feels there's a market for it. In either case she may be able to accommodate the radar. If she has a pattern, her price may be quite low.
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA
    Isla Verde, PR

Comment

I spoke with Leta last year. I think she said she's not taking on bigger boats anymore... but I will revisit her. Thanks!
      Jeff Prime
      "Optimystic Prime"
      2000 Bayliner 2855 Ciera Sunbridge
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

A cover for a sun bridge boat often goes around the legs of the arch.
        Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ
        |
        Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
        2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
        2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
        2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
        2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
        And 12 others...
        In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

"optimist_prime" post=828544 wrote:
          I spoke with Leta last year. I think she said she's not taking on bigger boats anymore... but I will revisit her. Thanks!
          She or her daughter used to go to Dagmars or Everett Marina for the bigger boats. I don't think either one is doing that anymore. Moreover, she moved her shop from her home to an industrial building in Arlington. She used to be able to handle any size boat that came on a trailer. Now her building can only handle 20-22' LOA.
          Anacortes, WA
          Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Lita's told me they don't have the pattern for the bridge cover for my 1988 3818. I found that odd.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Pcpete" post=828562 wrote:
              Lita's told me they don't have the pattern for the bridge cover for my 1988 3818. I found that odd.
              Was a bridge cover available from the factory? If so, it is odd that she doesn't have a pattern.
              Anacortes, WA
              Isla Verde, PR

Comment

Working...
              X