Mercruiser timing tool-gctid828535

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercruiser timing tool-gctid828535

I found a site that describes how to use an LED bulb and a jumper to create a base timing/EFI code reading tool for Mercruiser engines. The DLC in the description is a 10 pin, whereas the DLC on my 2002 350 MAG MPI Horizon engine is a 4 pin. Does anyone know if the same thing can be done using the 4 pin connector?

I have just gone through a situation where I was unable to get my engine to start. With my son-in-law's help we were able to get it running but he felt that the timing was out so he used a timing light to adjust the position of the distributor. The engine started and ran very well for the weekend. Now, after deciding I needed to know how to do this myself, I've learned that this engine doesn't require manual timing adjustments, just a "base timing position" adjustment. I didn't really pay attention to the current position of the distributor until this morning and now I see that it is probably about 8-10 degrees counter clockwise from it's original orientation, which had all of the wires going out at 90 degrees to the front to rear center line of the engine. As I said, the engine seemed to run fine - 4 half hour runs at cruising speed with 4-5 hours of trolling in between - but it doesn't start as easily as it did before he "adjusted" the timing.

I'm tempted to just return the distributor to what looks right (as before) but wonder if I should have the timing tool or a scan tool on hand to confirm.
    Paul
    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

Update: I turned the distributor back to it's original position and everything is good. I'd still like to know if a jumper and LED will work to create a diy tool in the 4 pin DLC...

Here's a link to the site where it's described:

https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/do-yourself-boating-budget/103342-make-marine-efi-code-tool-less-than-$1-00-a.html
    Paul
    2002 2859 Ciera Classic, 350 MAG MPI, Bravo II
    2013 Tandem TuffTrailer
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax/Allison

Comment

Working...
    X