Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

noisy serpentine belt on 6.2 mpi-gctid828529

Hi guys

I have a relatively new belt on my 6.2 mpi. Its 70 hours old and it ticks like a noisy bug in a forrest!!! it appears the mercruiser label on it is really tacky... it ticks with engine rpm though once hot and been running for a few hours will go away. if i spray the belt with a water disperant spray it goes quiet for a little while. I can feel that the logo part of the belt is really tacky. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel a little odd trying to call warranty on it as its just a noise, though one thats really annoying!!!

Pete
    2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

You can use WD-40 or acetone or even lemon juice to remove the label adhesive. If the label itself needs to be removed, be sure to record the numbers on it first.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

Its really etched into the belt, like as if its not supposed to come off. I tried to pick it off with a blade but its really embedded. I was thinking of taking to it with some sand paper so that i dont go through the top layer with the blade... really odd though, the last one was perfect
      2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

Are you sure that it is the label? Sounds more like just a noisy belt.

Most likely either a belt tensioner needs adjustment or the belt is misaligned.

Also try some belt dressing (available at most auto parts stores). WD40 should never be used on belts as it is counterproductive. Belts rely on friction and although WD40 can very temporarily reduce the noise, it also reduces the friction and contributes to premature belt wear.
        2014 Double Eagle 176EXL. But we are not done with Bayliner yet…this is just to get us to and from our cottage in the Gulf Islands.

Comment

Serpentine belts are only $25 .....cheap! I suggest you replace it and keep it for a spare in an emergency.
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          MMSI: 367637220
          HAM: KE7TTR
          TDI tech diver
          BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
          Kevin

Comment

I had a noisy belt on 6.2 a year ago. It simply needed to be tightened. I will say that the replacement belts for this engine are not cheap. If memory serves, they are north of $80. There are also many belts that seem as if they will fit but wind up being about 1/4'' to short.
            Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
            1989 2855
            Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

"CptCrunchie" post=828613 wrote:
              Serpentine belts are only $25 .....cheap! I suggest you replace it and keep it for a spare in an emergency.
              Yes, I agree!

Plus, you will get very good at changing the belt should the need arise. And, if something happens to your belt on say Friday afternoon on a long holiday weekend, your boating vacation isn't shot because you cant find the appropriate belt. You have your spare readily available!
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
              X