Flybridge vs helm controls on 3288

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flybridge vs helm controls on 3288

We have owned a 3288 for the past five years, I have always backed the boat into our slip from the flybridge, just recently started backing from the lower helm. The flybridge has different control positions from the helm.. the shifters are on the outside and throttle inside on the lower helm, making difficult for me to stand facing the stern, on the flybridge shifter and throttles are separate controls and easy to use standing facing the stern and operate the controls.. not sure why there is a difference, I am having issues with my right shoulder,, rotator cuff, not a easy issue over this past summer, so it not just a new learning experience.. For me this is a technical issue..

Has anyone changed the lower helm to match the flybridge, can I just relocate cables and change the shifter/throttle buttons?? Or perhaps recommendations for new Teleflex controls. Thank you for your help.....

Attached files
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 03-28-2019, 07:47 AM.

On my wish list is to convert the lower helm to single lever control for each engine. Not sure if it is possible, but would sure like to find out.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

I think I seen some system that convert it to single lever.

Comment

My lower helm controls are as you describe wanting to do, my shifters are grouped together on the left control, throttles on the right control. I don't see any reason why you couldn't move cables over and change the shift handles over. I assume that is what was done on mine by the previous owner.

James
        1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
        Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
        Lowrance Electronics!
        Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
        Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
        AGLCA #8340
        MTOA# 7469

Comment

Originally posted by MacPhid View Post
          My lower helm controls are as you describe wanting to do, my shifters are grouped together on the left control, throttles on the right control. I don't see any reason why you couldn't move cables over and change the shift handles over. I assume that is what was done on mine by the previous owner.

James
          +1
          CapMartin, Montreal QC
          "Belle de Dalhousie"
          1986 3270 SOLD
          Volvo BB225B

Comment

It is standard on all boats to have the controls in that way.

You will be able to speed up with one hand. And at the same time do not touch the gear switch by mistake.
            subscribe to my youtube channel

www.youtube.com/c/MyBoatandMylife

Comment

I have ZF MicroCommander https://www.zfmarinepropulsion.com/m...-clearcommand/ in my 1990 3288 with the MC 2000 Control Heads at both the upper and lower helm https://www.zfmarinepropulsion.com/c...-head-options/ provides electronic transmission and throttle control in one lever for each engine.
              Abner
              1990 Bayliner 3288
              Twin Hino 150's

Comment

Originally posted by abnerh View Post
                I have ZF MicroCommander https://www.zfmarinepropulsion.com/m...-clearcommand/ in my 1990 3288 with the MC 2000 Control Heads at both the upper and lower helm https://www.zfmarinepropulsion.com/c...-head-options/ provides electronic transmission and throttle control in one lever for each engine.
                This thread was started back in October of 2017.
                While there are no rules against posting to an old thread....... it is always best to start a new thread for your specific topic and question!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Wow! I'm jealous...
                  CapMartin, Montreal QC
                  "Belle de Dalhousie"
                  1986 3270 SOLD
                  Volvo BB225B

Comment

I'm late on this but you might see it. I just change the lower controls around today. Everything works great. No more confused captain. No it isn't the single control but it sure is better for me. The left shifter stays where it is. Disconnect the left throttle and bring over the starboard shifter. Now you have to move the starboard throttle over to the right. Put the port throttle next to it and there you are. I had plenty of cable to pull hopefully you will too. My boat is a 1992 3288 with Hinos.

Comment

I've been looking into this. It's not an inexpensive upgrade to be sure. Did you do this upgrade yourself?

Paul
                      US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                      MMSI: 338181912

Comment

Previous owner did this upgrade in about 2007 for a total cost of approximately $3000 according to the records that came with the boat.
                        Abner
                        1990 Bayliner 3288
                        Twin Hino 150's

Comment

Where did the PO mount the processors?

Paul
                          US Army (Retired), Federal Way, WA

1990 Bayliner 3288 - the "Janna Lea"
                          MMSI: 338181912

Comment

I have a 1991 3288 with Hinos. The stock throttle and gear control chrome levers on the flybridge are pitted so I'd like to replace them. Does anyone know if the handles are available and who the manufacturer is? The ones in the salon look perfect and they all function well but the upper ones are a bit of an eye-sore.

1991 3288 Hino 150HP

Comment

Petes3288, you have posted to an old thread from October, 2017.
                              It's always best to start a new and fresh thread.

By the way…… the throttle/shift unit in your picture is the old Morse U-flex.

The U-flex has been very problematic over the years!
                              They become pitted easily, they are known to become sticky and they don't trail very well (as in a dual helm scenario).

I would suggest going with the Morse Twin S.
                              They are 33C cable capable just like the U-flex.

The 4 bolt pattern is a bit smaller, thus requiring an adapter plate.
                              Even at that, you won't regret going to the Twin S.

NOTE:
                              You will find quite a few BBQ'd Pork and Fried Rice knock-offs. Steer clear of them!

A good clean used Twin S will outperform any of the new knock-offs.

Last edited by 2850Bounty; 06-09-2021, 04:17 AM.
                              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                              X