Re powering 87 2450-gctid827890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re powering 87 2450-gctid827890

I am repowering an 87 2450 that I bought this summer due to improper winterization. I have looked at several suppliers and think I have found one I'm comfortable with. The place I have found is Advanced Marine Engines out of Casper Wyoming. I have dug a bit looking for reviews and really haven't found anything bad on them. So I thought I would check here to see if anyone had ever heard of them or have any experiences with them? The engine I'm having to replace is a 5.7
    Don, Paula, Aschely, Taylor, n Kaylee

87 Ciera 2450

Lake Texhoma

I don't know anything about them but what are you looking to buy, rebuilt long block, new long block, power pack ( pan to carb),....? What is the price?
    1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Reman long block. Not to concerned if Tins are included. Mine are ok, but planning on putting dress tins on anyway. Price from them is $2100, no core charge, two year warranty included on engine and labor (with a cap). Can also upgrade the engine for no extra cost to roller cam and lifters instead of flat tappet. I do believe my intake and carb is ok, but I am looking at replacing those as well. Not sure which would be best but been looking at Edelbrock.

87 Ciera 2450

Lake Texhoma

Comment

Price seems to be the norm from what I have seen. For a few hundred more you can get a brand new Vortec with over 300 HP but you will need the Vortec intake and convert to an electric fuel pump. Another option is have an engine built for you using flat top pistons instead of the dished ones, price will be about the same as your quote.

Mike

Comment

On this big of a boat, and cruiser at that, will the extra hp really be all that noticeable? What's the advantages to flat top vs dished? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on going to elec over manual fuel pump, what's the advantages vs disadvantages on that? This engine that I'm looking st they quoted hp at 280, I was thinking of upgrading intake and carb to an edelbrock, which I thought would increase hp by a few as well...... would it? Was looking at edelbrock performer intake with 1409 carb. I thought I got the boat for a good price, but now having to instantly replace engine I really don't want to get completely upside down to bad. I do plan on keeping and using for awhile, and do want what is best bang for buck. My initial plans here was to replace engine now with a pretty basic setup, then take my old engine, have heads reworked and get a new short block and do what I want to that engine so when and if this one goes I'll have one ready. And if it doesn't, I'll have one to sell later.

87 Ciera 2450

Lake Texhoma

Comment

I have been using a standard new GM crate engine, 290 hp $2100 to $2400 depending on the seller.

I have 2 of these in my 3870, I usually run at 6-7 knots on one engine, but the boat will get up and go if needed.

You may get comments about the dished pistons but that engine has powered a lot of cars and boats, if you are looking to power up for top end as in go fast then an engine with flat top pistons my be a better choice.

There is a lot of info on the issue between dished and the flat top versions.

If you run raw water through the block you will need non metal head gaskets installed.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

What drive? Like Mike said something like this with an edelbrock dual plane manifold and the carburetor of your choice could be the way to go IMO.

http://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec...rent-p-68.html
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX"
              '93 2556
              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
              Misc. projects thread
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"Fixedwing1" post=827917 wrote:
                On this big of a boat, and cruiser at that, will the extra hp really be all that noticeable? What's the advantages to flat top vs dished? I've read a lot of mixed reviews on going to elec over manual fuel pump, what's the advantages vs disadvantages on that? This engine that I'm looking st they quoted hp at 280, I was thinking of upgrading intake and carb to an edelbrock, which I thought would increase hp by a few as well...... would it? Was looking at edelbrock performer intake with 1409 carb. I thought I got the boat for a good price, but now having to instantly replace engine I really don't want to get completely upside down to bad. I do plan on keeping and using for awhile, and do want what is best bang for buck. My initial plans here was to replace engine now with a pretty basic setup, then take my old engine, have heads reworked and get a new short block and do what I want to that engine so when and if this one goes I'll have one ready. And if it doesn't, I'll have one to sell later.
                IMO I would just go with a new Vortec as with that edelbrock intake and 1409 carb you will have ~ 320HP which will provide plenty of power. Most folks will not notice the difference of having an engine built to gain small improvements in power over a portion of the power curve.

Mike

Comment

As builderdude implied, the drive type is important. If it is an OMC Cobra, it is rated to 300 hp max. There are many that have mated higher horsepower engines to these drives, and they make them last by not using max power regularly and properly maintaining the drive. An alternative would be to find a good King Cobra drive to replace the Cobra. The King Cobra will take much higher horsepower and will bolt-on. The downside is that King Cobra parts are getting scarce and are expensive.
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA
                  Isla Verde, PR

Comment

If the boat is an OMC Cobra system, the Edelbrock manifold won't work because of the high mounted alternator. Also if the block/heads cracked because of bad winterization, then the intake manifold might be cracked as well and this is one part you really need to have if you are thinking of a re-man pre-vortec engine. It might make more sense to go with a new GM marine long block vortec engine, as long as the flywheel size is the same, the OMC coupler should fit. The Vortec engine will give a bit more power, it can be used with either the Quadrajet (but must be converted to electric choke) because the Vortec intake does not have an exhaust crossover passage to heat the thermostatic spring that the divorced choke models used. Other options are the Holley 4bbl, which was used by OMC on this engine as well as Volvo Penta till the end of the carb use. And the Edelbrock 1409 can be used with an adaptor, but looking at it, this carb seems wider than the Q-Jet and the side with the choke may come close to interfering with the OMC shift linkage/bellcrank. The exhaust is another issue, if the manifolds and risers are cracked due to bad winterizing, you'd have to see if the original OMC rear exit style manifolds are still available in the aftermarket. If not you can convert to a Volvo style center riser system. Barr makes nice aftermarket OMC/Volvo exhaust parts.

I don't think the standard Cobra drive would have any problem with the power a normal 350 4bbl puts out because they were sold that way new throughout the production run. The big block engines were the ones that were too powerful for the standard Cobra and what they did was to use a bigger lower unit on the 460 Ford models, and a totally new and different King Cobra with cone clutch shifting for the big block 454. If you were going to go with a high output small block like the 6.2 liter converting to a Volvo SX which can be done with the Cobra transom design would be the most sensible thing, or just change the whole thing over to Merc if you can get the parts at the right price.
                    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Builderdude...... I believe it is an OMC cobra drive.

Nauti Mike, wanting to just stay with pre vortec, don't really want to have to convert to elec fuel pump. The engine I was looking at is rated at 280, figured with the addition of the intake and carb it would put it at a lil more. Not real concerned with lots of hp, but more interested in better fuel effiency and think a lil more hp can help that.

88fourwinns why would it not work? Why does the alternator mount deter it?

87 Ciera 2450

Lake Texhoma

Comment

Working...
                      X