What is this button?-gctid827637

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is this button?-gctid827637

What should this button do? The heater switch i know but button below which says "head discharge?

New owner of a 3270, 2xHino 135

Your holding tank is equipped with a macerator pump, which may or may not be working, that pumps the effluent overboard. It's not a method to be used in a no discharge zone which is why a lot of the pumps lock up. Lack of use. There is all sorts of controversy about what has to be done to prevent accidental use of the pump. Picture a child pushing the button in a marina, embarrassment would be the least issue. I've had suggestions that go as far as a key lock, sort of like an on/off ignition switch, but IMO that's a bit, um, overboard.

We keep ours active for use in Canada where it is legal to dispose overboard and pumpouts are far and few between. I've alread eliminated the Y valve because I never opened one for direct overboard in thirty years.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

when pushing it to test and you dont hear the pump run, in adddition to a blown fuse, it could be a stuck pump impeller, which is common when the macerator hasnt been run for a long period. depending on the brand of pump, you may have the option of jogging the shaft without disassembling it.

to actually pump out, you would have to switch the Y valve to the overboard discharge position, and make sure the thru hull valve is open.....

NU LIBERTE'
      Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
      5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
      N2K equipped throughout..
      2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
      2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
      '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
      Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

Centerline, his 32 may have a dedicated above the waterline through hull similar to my 38. Spineless is going to have check out his system.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

"Pcpete" post=827677 wrote:
          Centerline, his 32 may have a dedicated above the waterline through hull similar to my 38. Spineless is going to have check out his system.
          thats just too easy... yes, its a good idea to look at the system and see what one has before pushing buttons and flipping unknown switches.

NU LIBERTE'
          Salem, OR

1989 Bayliner 2556 Convertible
          5.7 OMC Cobra - 15.5x11 prop
          N2K equipped throughout..
          2014 Ram 3500 crew cab, 6.7 Cummins
          2007 M-3705 SLC weekend warrior, 5th wheel
          '04 Polaris Sportsman 700 -- '05 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO
          Heavy Equipment Repair and Specialty Welding

Comment

If the pump is stuck there is a flat tip screwdriver slot at the end of the pump,some have a rubber plug covering the slotted shaft end, turn it to free up the impeller.

If not used for some time the impeller should be changed, but be careful, if the pump is lower than the fluid level, you may have a mess changing the pump.

I installed a longer hose between the tank and the pump so I can raise the pump above the fluid level.
            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
            Twin 350 GM power
            Located in Seward, AK
            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

My pump is directly to the sea without any valves so its that easy but pump has been disconnected because illegsl to pump out waste in the archipelago... But now i know whats the button is for, and maybe i can use it for something else when the wires goes down to "the cave"....
              New owner of a 3270, 2xHino 135

Comment

My macerator froze up due to use of wrong tissue being used. I removed the pump and removed screws to dismantle pump. Tissue was removed, pump reassembled and system works great. Not that difficult of project which occurred in 2006 while on vacation in British Columbia. Garchar
                GARCHAR
                1988 2655
                2009 Volvo Penta 5.7 300 hp DP F3s
                Twice Past Commodore
                Northwest Outboard Trailer Sailors, Eugene,OR

Comment

I took out the Y valve and macerator and replaced the push button with a toggle and used the existing wires for a 12 volt light to light up the cave.
                  Dan
                  Frostbite Falls, Minnesota
                  Claudia V. III
                  1988 - 3218
                  Gas Drives

Comment

I removed my macerator, put in a one-way valve into the drain hose, then used the wires and switch for a wash down pump.
                    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
                    MMSI: 367637220
                    HAM: KE7TTR
                    TDI tech diver
                    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
                    Kevin

Comment

Working...
                    X