dead in the water-gctid399972

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dead in the water-gctid399972

i have a 86 2850 which has ran perfect untill yesterday, was drifting and went to put it in gear to avoid being to close to another boat, ( had plenty of room, but he was freaking) heard a loud thud, then no reverse or forward, plus no steering, wheels moves, but drives doesnt move left or right??????

Seems unlikely that two completely separate system would fail at the same time. Are you sure the outrive doesn't move when you turn the wheel? You would need propulsion to gain any steerage.

Sounds like your shift cable/linkage failed, or perhaps the gears inside, or perhaps your prop struck something.

BTW, what happened with the other boat? :drama

Comment

It sounds like two issues....... no gear engagement, and no steering.

Was this a hard hitting Reverse shift?

Did the drive kick up?

Hard hitting shift into reverse may have caused the drive to kick up and break the helmet, and/or the collar steering fork.

Hard hitting shift into either gear may have twisted the vertical shaft coupler, or may have broken the transmission's brass split ring keeper.

The split ring keeper may have let go if running LH prop and hitting hard in FWD.

Same as above if running RH prop and hitting hard in REV.

Pull the boat and inspect things, and take a few pictures and post them.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

confermed out drive busted up, waitng to hear from the ins company. im sick miss my baby:drama:drama:drama:drama:drama

Comment

pman54 wrote:
          confermed out drive busted up, waitng to hear from the ins company.
          Unfortunately, if the adjustor knows his Volvo Penta biz, he's going to call this a maintenance issue.

Have you taken any photos yet? Can you post them?

It may not be all that bad.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Ive had two surveyers look at the boat and both have said damage due to mechanical failure. Reverse lock failed to engage. seems older bayliners with Volvo penta drives are known for this. Had the boat two months, not even 90 days. Dealing with where i bought the Boat from, to see what they are willing to do.:arr:arr:arr:arr

Comment

( had plenty of room, but he was freaking)
              Never let other people drive your boat from afar. Just tune them out and don't even pay any attention.

Comment

pman54 wrote:
                Ive had two surveyers look at the boat and both have said damage due to mechanical failure. Reverse lock failed to engage. seems older bayliners with Volvo penta drives are known for this. Had the boat two months, not even 90 days. Dealing with where i bought the Boat from, to see what they are willing to do.
                For a 17 year old boat, I wouldn't expect that the seller offered a warranty, or would be willing to fix it. Older boats usually need some repairs to get them in seaworthy condition again.

Comment

Oh, the joys of old boat ownership. Sure keeps things exciting, no? I would be shocked if insurance covers a mechanical issue, unless you bought some sort of warranty.

BTW, I love my 2850 Contessa!

Comment

Working...
                  X