Hydraulic Ram Zinc replacement problem-gctid399638

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic Ram Zinc replacement problem-gctid399638

Greetings fellow boaters :-)I am attempting to install "zincs" on the hydraulic rams of my Bravo 3 leg. I have never installed zincs on these hydraulic rams before and have run across a bit of an issue. From the attached pictures one can see that the Zinc mounting holes on the cap of the hydraulic piston appear to be too large for the mounting bolts that came with the zincs. Furthermore, the zinc mounting holes on the cap of the hydraulic piston do not have any threads. FYI, the Zincs that I purchased were specifically for a Bravo 3 installation.How do I install Hydraulic ram zincs properly?I'm pretty sure that I'm making a newbie mistake here, and am hoping that one of the resident experts can chime in and shed some light on my issue.Cheers,Marcus

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703326=29635-Zinc Mounting Hole 1.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703326=29636-Zinc Mounting Hole 2.jpg[/img]

Something doesn't look right with your pictures. Maybe it's just the orientation but they don't look like I recall when I change my zincs on a BIII. Here is a picture of zincs installed on the ram head with the 2- 1/8" diameter??? hex screws. The only holes on the ram heads I recall are the 2 threaded holes for the hex screws.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/703444=29659-Photo01181200.jpg[/img]

Comment

captjmh wrote:
      Something doesn't look right with your pictures. Maybe it's just the orientation but they don't look like I recall when I change my zincs on a BIII. Here is a picture of zincs installed on the ram head with the 2- 1/8" diameter??? hex screws. The only holes on the ram heads I recall are the 2 threaded holes for the hex screws.
      With regards to my photo orientation... the pictures of my rams are taken from the rear of the ram facing forward. Don't know if that helps?

When I look at your ram pictures it seems that the two mounting holes are oriented in the horizontal plane. Conversly, my ram pictures don't shown any mounting holes in the horizontal plane. This seems strange to me!

[COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
      Any other suggestions out there as to how to mount the zincs on my rams?[/COLOR]

Thank you for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

Did you solve your zinc mounting problem ?
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Hydraulic Ram zinc mounting problem has not been solved. Upon close inspection of the end of the rams reveals no evidence of any mounting holes for the screws. This is strange.... still needing help with this issue.

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

markai wrote:
            Hydraulic Ram zinc mounting problem has not been solved. Upon close inspection of the end of the rams reveals no evidence of any mounting holes for the screws. This is strange.... still needing help with this issue.

Cheers,

Marcus
            Marcus: All 4 of our new Bayliners came with zinks on the trim rams. Had trouble (under warranty) with all of them. Seems that the end cap and or end cap seal create corrosion and a binding problem. Mercury has not been able to fix this even after all these years. Our dealer has advised me to leave the ram zincs off because our boats are lift kept and deleting the ram zinc creates a lesser chance of corrosion because of quicker air drying. Of course, if my boat was always in the salt water, I'd retain the ram zincs. Griff

Comment

griff wrote:
              ... our boats are lift kept and deleting the ram zinc creates a lesser chance of corrosion because of quicker air drying. Of course, if my boat was always in the salt water, I'd retain the ram zincs. Griff
              Thanks for the info Griff...

My boat will be moored in salt water.

Comment

griff wrote:
                Marcus: All 4 of our new Bayliners came with zinks on the trim rams. Had trouble (under warranty) with all of them. Seems that the end cap and or end cap seal create corrosion and a binding problem. Mercury has not been able to fix this even after all these years. Our dealer has advised me to leave the ram zincs off because our boats are lift kept and deleting the ram zinc creates a lesser chance of corrosion because of quicker air drying. Of course, if my boat was always in the salt water, I'd retain the ram zincs. Griff
                Interesting.

I might remove mine then. I don't leave mine in the water, and always rinse off when I pull it out of the saltwater. My other Mercruiser didn't have them on there and it seemed fine for the year I had it, and it was a 1993 boat.

Comment

markai wrote:
                  With regards to my photo orientation... the pictures of my rams are taken from the rear of the ram facing forward. Don't know if that helps?

When I look at your ram pictures it seems that the two mounting holes are oriented in the horizontal plane. Conversly, my ram pictures don't shown any mounting holes in the horizontal plane. This seems strange to me!

[COLOR]"#FF0000" wrote:
                  Any other suggestions out there as to how to mount the zincs on my rams?[/COLOR]

Thank you for your help in advance.

Cheers,

Marcus
                  The hole orientation on my BIII is horizontal on the port side, vertical on the starboard side, but I think that is just happenstance. Looking closer at your pix, now I wonder if the old mounting screws were broken off in the mounting holes by someone trying to remove them?? Can you clean/scrape out the larger ram holes to see if there is any evidence of that?

Obviously in salt water, you will absolutely need zincs on the BIII and a good working Mercathode system as well.

Comment

I'm starting to think about alternatives to the standard Hydraulic Zincs.Perhaps shaft anodes will work? Any suggestions? Has anybody tried this yet?

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/704673=29782-Shaft 1.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/704673=29783-Shaft 2.jpg[/img]

Comment

Yes, the shaft anodes work. Had to use these on my old boat as the PO had stripped the mounting holes. If you use the shaft anodes, make sure they are aluminum like the rest of the B3 kit. I think the ones I used were 7/8".

Other option would be to tap in new mounting holes for the proper anodes on the ram arms.
                      Terry
                      1999 Bayliner 3388
                      Twin Cummins 4BTA
                      Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
                      Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

TenMile wrote:
                        Yes, the shaft anodes work. Had to use these on my old boat as the PO had stripped the mounting holes. If you use the shaft anodes, make sure they are aluminum like the rest of the B3 kit. I think the ones I used were 7/8".

Other option would be to tap in new mounting holes for the proper anodes on the ram arms.
                        Thanks TenMile... I will likely try the shaft anodes. I'm somewhat concerned that the "risk" associated with drilling and tapping new mounting holes in the ram arms will likely outweigh the benefits of simply using shaft anodes. I'd really hate to drill a new mounting hole in the ram arm and accidentally drill too deep, or in an area of the ram arm end cap that would cause me grief.

Cheers,

Marcus

Comment

I am not sure if this info will help you but on my 1993 alpha 1 gen 2, there are no zincs on the rams. They look exactly like yours in fact. The holes in the end caps are not threaded. I am told by several people that early versions of my alpha drive were not equipped with the zincs on the rams. Perhaps this was true for some Bravo versions as well?

Comment

Alpha 1 gen 2 1995 and mine has em.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/705097=29818-Outdrive zincs.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ding Dang wrote:
                              I am not sure if this info will help you but on my 1993 alpha 1 gen 2, there are no zincs on the rams. They look exactly like yours in fact. The holes in the end caps are not threaded. I am told by several people that early versions of my alpha drive were not equipped with the zincs on the rams. Perhaps this was true for some Bravo versions as well?
                              My 1993 Alpha 1 Generation 2 didn't have them either.

I don't think they came with them. My 1996 Alpha 1 Generation 2 has them, but the bolts are not in the same spot on both sides, and they are not in any particular location, so they were probably hand drilled and tapped.

Comment

Working...
                              X