4788 Davit-gctid399530

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4788 Davit-gctid399530

I have a 4788 and I carry a 12'Grande dingy with a console. The davit does not lift the dingy high enough to place on the cradle easily. I am thinking about adding an extension boom on the dinghy davit boom to get 6-8" hiher lift. Any suggestions? Has anyone added an extension to the davit boom?

"Has anyone added an extension to the davit boom? "

No - because it would change the weight capacity as well as the centeriline of lift too far out when lifting or placing on deck.

We did cut the slack weight in half and countersunk the hook in the remaining half to pick up about 6 inches of lift height to handle a jet ski.

Hope this helps
    Northport NY

Comment

I don't understand what you have stated--can you be more specific? If I could pick up a few inches that would work.

Comment

"I don't understand what you have stated--can you be more specific? If I could pick up a few inches that would work"

As your davit cable loops down from the arm to its end it 1st goes through a weight that takes up the unladen slack then through a spliced eye and finally to a forged hook.

We took the weight off of the cable and cut it in half in height then we countersunk one side of that weight so that the spliced eye would fit inside of the weight instead of having to remain completely underneath the weight. In our particular case we also cut the eye slice to replace the hook with an SS snap ring but there was no real height savings in doing that.

But by cutting the eye splice and removing the hook we were able to do the rest of the conversion without pulling all of the cable off of the spool.

I will try and snap a picture of what the results looks like this weekend.

Hope this helps
        Northport NY

Comment

I understand now--you cut the weight in half thereby picking up some inches in lifting height and countersunk the spliced eye to also pich up some inches--that's a great idea--never thought of that and once you explained it it seems so obvious. Send me a picture but I think I that we work perfectly!

Thank you.

Comment

We added a 1 foot extension to our davit. It works fine. The weight that it will support is a bit less, but I have no problem with my 575 lb. dinghy. However, my davit has gotten very stiff. There was a post here on drilling a hole and adding a zerk fitting and lubing with superlube. Otherwise, i would like to have the entire thing rebuilt. Are the new parts still available anywhere? If whoever posted the post withthe zerk fitting could show where it goes, that would be a great help. My davit has become almost unusable.

Thanks,

Al

Comment

adavis wrote:
              We added a 1 foot extension to our davit. It works fine. The weight that it will support is a bit less, but I have no problem with my 575 lb. dinghy. However, my davit has gotten very stiff. There was a post here on drilling a hole and adding a zerk fitting and lubing with superlube. Otherwise, i would like to have the entire thing rebuilt. Are the new parts still available anywhere? If whoever posted the post withthe zerk fitting could show where it goes, that would be a great help. My davit has become almost unusable.

Thanks,

Al
              Al

north harbor diesel in anacortes rebuilt my davit replacing the old nylon/plastic "bearing" with an actual bearing, all sealed up against moisture.

My davit can now be operated by one person with our 750 lb skiff.

you might give Dianna or Howard over there a call.

KEVIN SANDERS
              4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
              www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
              https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Kevin,

Thanks, I will give them a call. I would like to try and lube it. Does anyone know where to driull the hole for the sSuperlube? I wonder if I need to post this in motoryachts as well>

Al

Comment

adavis wrote:

Thanks,

Al
                  Al,

Can you give me some details/pictures on your one foot extension?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X