Anti fouling paint on props-gctid823707

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti fouling paint on props-gctid823707

Does anti fouling paint on props hurt performance? I am always having to scrape the barnacles off my props. Was wondering if I should put anti fouling paint on them? Or should I just keep going down and scraping them? It is a 3485 Avanti and I don't want to degrade the performance any.

It will not hurt performance, but here where I moor, at least in the warm, sunny and dry summer we have had, it has been mostly useless. I had my prop, outdrive and trim tabs done in early summer, they needed cleaning by the 4th of July, and I had to put on the snorkel and mask this past Saturday and remove a bunch of soft growth and it took me over an hour. Where I keep my boat, the treatment just isn't fabulous like copper based bottom paint.
    Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
    1989 2855
    Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Thanks. Don't really mind scraping the barnacles this time of year but once the weather cools it's no fun!!! Was hoping for a miracle product.

Comment

I had the same problem. Tons of barnacles on my props, shafts, rudders etc. I used Pettit Barnacle Barrier. Just pulled the boat a few weeks ago and my props were perfect -- no bugs! A bit of slime as expected. There is a prep procedure you need to follow on the can but so far it has lasted a full season.

I posted a photo in a discussion here -- photo is what the boat looked like as I pulled it out of the water: http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...p-guard#818900
        Terry
        1999 Bayliner 3388
        Twin Cummins 4BTA
        Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
        Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

Comment

Pettit Prop Coat Barnacle Buster

Put it on two years ago. After one year, no growth. I will re-apply it this year.

I had the props burnished to shiny condition and applied it..

It isn't very expensive and it is easier than cleaning the props.
          Tally and Vicki
          "Wickus" Meridian 341
          MMSI 338014939

Comment

When the weather cools where I moor, the growth stops almost entirely. I don't know what I will do next year. I wouldn't mind it not working very well if it didn't cost so much to haul the boat, have the yard power wash the running gear, lay time and splash it again. If only it lasted two years or more like the Sea Hawk AF 33 bottom paint, I would be stoked. First world problem I reckon.
            Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
            1989 2855
            Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Major business over here in Western Australia due to salty warm waters... everyone uses and swears by this product

http://propspeed.com/
              2005 285SB. Couple mods, large stereo, lots of batteries, extended platform with Staple with BBQ and tender. Underwater LED's, enhanced lighting... penned in Pier21 on airberth.

Comment

Spray can of Zinc primer from Home Depot works great o the SS props of my bravo 3, cheaper $$ than the Petit from West Marine, same stuff.
                Ted
                2005 288 Command Bridge
                350 Mag MPI / BRAVO III

Every Day Is Saturday

Comment

"Saturday288" post=824037 wrote:
                  Spray can of Zinc primer from Home Depot works great o the SS props of my bravo 3, cheaper $$ than the Petit from West Marine, same stuff.
                  Agreed - we have used the Rustoleum cold zinc spray from Home Depot at about $6 per can for over 10 years now with good results. 2-3 medium coats over a cleaned surface lasts us the entire season up here in the Northeast where fouling is a problem. We cover the NiBral props and the SS shafts with a bit less than 2 cans of spray....
                  Northport NY

Comment

Working...
                  X