Carb leaking fuel!-gctid823504

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb leaking fuel!-gctid823504

Went halibut fishing across the line yesterday. I anchored in 120' of water. Shortly after bringing in a nice 37lb'er, the winds started picking up and we decided to head home. While running the windlass, I raised the RPM slightly to give it a little more power. Once the anchor was back resting in its pulpit, I put it in forward and swung the boat toward home.

Monitoring the fuel consumption, everything appeared normal. It started at 24GPH as we rose in speed. At 20kts for about 30 seconds, however, I saw that the fuel consumption had only dropped to 18GPH. I slowed the boat to 15kts, and the fuel consumption lowered to 15GPH. It stayed like this for about a minute, but noticed that the engine was .....lugging. I dropped it out of gear and the engine died.

Opening up the engine compartment, I could smell gas, but I couldn't see any. But when I turned the engine over, I could see gas leaking out of the carb onto the manifold. In fact, a pool of gas quickly gathered in the area I've indicated.

Anyone know what would cause this? Is it a stuck float? If so, does that mean I need to have the carb rebuilt?

JSYK, I only use non-ethanol premium gas, and always add the correct amount of Stabilizer with each fill. (We also came back on the kicker. 3.5 hours @ 3-4kts, I'm glad the 15-20MPH headwinds didn't show up as predicted.)
    "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

I'd think a float issue would cause flooding but you probably wouldn't see any pooling of fuel in the area you've indicated as the vent for the float bowl in under the flame arrestor. Maybe the throttle shaft has worn it's bore?
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX"
    '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    Misc. projects thread
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

throttle shaft hole
      Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
      Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
      93 3058 sold
      92 2855 (day boat)
      91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
      Longbranch WA
      Life is Good

Comment

Sounds to me like it's the throttle shaft leaking. If that is the case don't run it until fixed. It would be dieing at idle because the leaking throttle shaft is probably creating a vacuum leak.

Heck with all that though I want to see the pic of the 37 pounder or none of this happened.
        1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

"yachtman" post=823514 wrote:
          Sounds to me like it's the throttle shaft leaking. If that is the case don't run it until fixed. It would be dieing at idle because the leaking throttle shaft is probably creating a vacuum leak.

Heck with all that though I want to see the pic of the 37 pounder or none of this happened.
          As you wish. It's 43" ...or in Canadian,109cm.

[attachment]40751 wrote:
          BonDCKeckHalibut92017.jpg[/attachment]
          "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
          TDI tech diver
          Kevin

Comment

The throttle shaft. It ran like stink before we dropped anchor - 9.5GPH @ 20kts from Port Angeles Haven to the Canadian side of Coyote Bank. Fired up right away when I pulled the anchor. Then suddenly, the fuel consumption went crazy. If you are saying it is wear, wouldn't the fuel consumption have dropped gradually, or is there a sleeve - or something - that fell out or broke apart?

From what you guys are saying, it looks my it's time let my OMC guy deal with it. Anyone know what this would cost ...roughly?

Thanks everyone.
            TDI tech diver
            Kevin

Comment

Mine did the same thing about 7/8 years ago and my mechanic rebuilt it for about 160 or so...yours looks like a Quadrajet like mine...
              88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
              98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

great chance to replace it with an Edelbrock 1406 marine...

although it will require a few minor arrangements, well worth it IMO.
                Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                93 3058 sold
                92 2855 (day boat)
                Longbranch WA
                Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=823523 wrote:

+1 I did that and never regretted it. Economy and performance both increased.
                  twin 454's
                  MV Mar-Y-Sol
                  Twin chevy 350's inboard
                  Ben- Jamin
                  spokane Washington

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=823523 wrote:

I believe that's the same carb I put on my Chris Craft with the twin 327's.

You say they are more fuel efficient, but what makes them so?

From what I was told back then, the choke has to be changed to electronic. However, they already did that when they replaced the 5.0L with a 5.7L.

I see them on eBay for $229. Hmmmm....... Remanufactured or buy new?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2727711...=ps&dispItem=1

Does it make any other difference with mine being a Vortec?

In round figures, how much to just have them switched out?
                    TDI tech diver
                    Kevin

Comment

5hat carb # should be a 1409. Not 1406. The cost of a factory rebuilt would be around $350-400 and a factory new is $450-500.
                      twin 454's
                      MV Mar-Y-Sol
                      Twin chevy 350's inboard
                      Ben- Jamin
                      spokane Washington

Comment

Whoops, 1409 is correct!

Kevin, your existing Rochester is spread bore carb, Edelbrock being a square bore carb, will need a new intake or an adapter plate, linkage, fuel line will require minor adjustments.
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=823541 wrote:
                          Whoops, 1409 is correct!

Kevin, your existing Rochester is spread bore carb, Edelbrock being a square bore carb, will need a new intake or an adapter plate, linkage, fuel line will require minor adjustments.
                          Ah. Okay. Thought I could remove and replace it myself, then let my mechanic set it when he does the tune-up.

Thanks for the info.
                          TDI tech diver
                          Kevin

Comment

Be very, very careful with what adapter plate is chosen.

You go with the 1409 then get a Edelbrock intake.
                            Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Ruffryder" post=823541 wrote:
                              Whoops, 1409 is correct!

Is this the adapter plate I need?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-2696
                              TDI tech diver
                              Kevin

Comment

Working...
                              X