Gimble bearing question-gctid399446

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimble bearing question-gctid399446

96 Mercruiser 250. I replaced the gimble bearing. When I pump grease into the bearing, it comes out from around the bearing edge, not seal on the center shaft. On my older boat, grease would overflow through the center shaft seal when it was full. I assume that this is correct. I'm not sure what "Normal" looks like. Do the new bearing ooz out the center shaft seal as well ?

A point:

1) The grease is a higher quality synthetic, but is a little thicker than normal. Maybe it's too thick(?

I guessing that I don't have the grease passage aligned with the grease passage in the bearing.

Thanks in advance.

Craig, as I recall, the older styles did require grease port alignment.

I also recall reading that there's been a change to these, and that some are no longer ported for taking grease.

If you do get it take grease, do this while the engine is running. Dynamic -vs- Static.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The hole in the bearing race was blocked in the center. There were small slits on the outer edge of the hole. I assumed at that time that the grease was to go through the tiny slits. So, I'm guessing that this is a pre greased, sealed bearing....

Comment

I just did a gimbal bearing a few weeks ago, from what I understand, new gimbal bearings from Merc are sealed and have no means of external lubrication. That could explain why the grease is coming out of the bearing edge. Ie: my new gimbal bearing has no holes to line up with the gimbal housing.

My gimbal bearing came with a tamper proof torx to put in place of the grease nipple.

Might want to double check.

Comment

It depends on what type of bearing you installed. You can still get the greasable bearings. (I prefer them... I get to chose my own fate that way)
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
            It depends on what type of bearing you installed. You can still get the greasable bearings. (I prefer them... I get to chose my own fate that way)
            Amen!

If you can purchase a serviceable bearing, you can at least give it an exchange of grease periodically.

But again, do this with the engine running.

Otherwise, most of the grease will just slip past the rollers, and will take paths of least resistance.

Key word: "Exchange!"

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The last one I replaced had a grease hole (very small) and a groove around the outer dia. for grease travel in the event the installer did not line up the hole to the zerk passage.

Even with it lined up it did a poor job of getting grease into the bearing, more it seemed was lost between the shell and the housing bore.

My practice is to remove the remove the shields from both sides of the bearing and completely hand pack it with high quality synthetic grease, replace the shields and install it being sure to line up the holes (for what it's worth), after that just pump grease in, (dynamically) on occasion and let it go where it will.
              " WET EVER "
              1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
              mmsi 338108404
              mmsi 338124956
              "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

People are saying grease the gimbal bearing with the engine running. Just to get this right do you mean pump about 10 squirts into the nipple on the sides of the housing, as per the info in my book, but whilst the engine running, that's the new bit to me, and do you mean idle or in gear with prop turning.

Comment

Prop doesn't need to be engaged. With the motor running the drive shaft is turning. Adding grease while running helps to distribute that grease.

iBoatNW

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                    Prop doesn't need to be engaged. With the motor running the drive shaft is turning. Adding grease while running helps to distribute that grease.
                    Thanks I will remember that.

Comment

Bay Cruise wrote:
                      People are saying grease the gimbal bearing with the engine running. .................. that's the new bit to me
                      Yes, it's a new bit to many because no where in any OEM manual will it suggest doing this! rod

As far as I know, it's same with EZ Lube/Sure Lube/Super Lube axle spindles. I don't believe that any instructions suggest to spin the wheel while applying grease.

Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I always clock the bearing 90 degrees and remove the inner race and hand pack that as well. Then the service grease I add over time was done with the engine running.

iBoatNW

Comment

Working...
                        X