New member-2460 trophy questions-gctid823307

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member-2460 trophy questions-gctid823307

After looking for a while I finally found a 2460. They are hard to find here in So. California. The boat has good "bones" but needs some cosmetic work. The trailer is also in the same shape. The hull below the rub rail is in great shape, its above the rub rail where I have all the ugly. The usual spider cracks around the rod holders and other hardware and some gel coat "crazing" on the structure leading up to the hard top where the sun has beat the tar out of it. I plan on painting the boat really don't know where to start. Do I try to do something with the cracking and crazing ?. Do I go the primer route or just sand the gel coat?. Do I go with single stage paint or 2 stage paint ? ( I will be rolling and tipping). The boat will be stored inside from now on, and see only a little bit of salt water use before I move it to my place in Montana. Also the swim platform isn't in the best shape. The previous owner towed the boat with a kicker motor on it and has cracked the platform in a few areas. Don't really have a plan what to do with that yet. Any input would be great !

"BOB MARLIN" post=823307 wrote:
    After looking for a while I finally found a 2460. They are hard to find here in So. California. The boat has good "bones" but needs some cosmetic work. The trailer is also in the same shape. The hull below the rub rail is in great shape, its above the rub rail where I have all the ugly. The usual spider cracks around the rod holders and other hardware and some gel coat "crazing" on the structure leading up to the hard top where the sun has beat the tar out of it. I plan on painting the boat really don't know where to start. Do I try to do something with the cracking and crazing ?. Do I go the primer route or just sand the gel coat?. Do I go with single stage paint or 2 stage paint ? ( I will be rolling and tipping). The boat will be stored inside from now on, and see only a little bit of salt water use before I move it to my place in Montana. Also the swim platform isn't in the best shape. The previous owner towed the boat with a kicker motor on it and has cracked the platform in a few areas. Don't really have a plan what to do with that yet. Any input would be great !
    Welcome to BOC!

I'll be doing the same soon, so I too am looking for options. One I am considering is a tad ....radical; coating the cracked areas with truck bed liner, http://www.monstaliner.com/monstalin...r to be exact. I also want to haul my crab and shrimp pots on top of the hardtop, which is where this idea started. They've used this on a lot of vehicles, though I'm sure they did the uglier ones just to show off their product.

Here are a few mock-ups of what I might do, ...the operative word being MIGHT.

[attachment]40711 wrote:
    BonDCPortSideLined.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]40709 wrote:
    BonDCRoofLined.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment]40710 wrote:
    BonDCSternLined.jpg[/attachment]

There are cracks, some serious scratches and a few small gouges on the sides and gunnels from crab and shrimp pots being hauled over the side. This would hide them and also protect the entire area.

This area is just to even out the look of it, though it would also help with traction when I have to go up there at sea.

[attachment]40707 wrote:
    BonDCForeDeckLiner.jpg[/attachment]

I'm also thinking about coating the engine cover, because it too has suffered some abuse over its 29 years of service. And even though I have 1" dampening inside the cover, this too would help dampen the engine noise. Just not sure if I like the aesthetic of it.

[attachment]40708 wrote:
    BonDCAftDeckGunnelsLined.jpg[/attachment]

Whatever I do, I'm planning it for its 30th birthday.

Attached files

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
    MMSI: 367637220
    HAM: KE7TTR
    TDI tech diver
    BoD Puget Sound Anglers North Olympic Peninsula Chapter
    Kevin

Comment

I used to own a Bed liner company so it has crossed my mind. This boat had crab gear mounted on it at on time and most of the cracks are in that area. The hull itself is in great shape as well as the deck, just a lot of cracks top side.

Comment

"BOB MARLIN" post=823495 wrote:
        I used to own a Bed liner company so it has crossed my mind. This boat had crab gear mounted on it at on time and most of the cracks are in that area. The hull itself is in great shape as well as the deck, just a lot of cracks top side.
        You mean like this?

[attachment]40748 wrote:
        IMG_3193.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment]40749 wrote:
        IMG_3195.JPG[/attachment]

They are all around the aft deck. Now, I don't know that much about fiberglass, or gelcoat, or the effects of our saltwater environment on our boat over time, but I realize this can't be good. Moreover, since they are cracks, I'm concerned that over time, water carrying salt crystals will get in behind it and separate the layers.

My biggest concern is how well the bedliner will bond to the gelcoat, even after is has been roughed up with sandpaper. If I cover the blue stripe, then brush up against the dock, will it peal the liner off? Or is there something in the product that will etch into the gelcoat?

Since you understand these products and their application, coming from someone who's only thought about it, if you decide to go that route, please post lots of photos of the process.
        "B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
        TDI tech diver
        Kevin

Comment

Yep that's what it looks like.

As far as the bed liner goes, if I still had my equipment I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Do not use the "do it your self" kits, they won't hold up. Take it somewhere that has a line-x type set up. It does not have to be a line-x place just a place that uses a hot applied pressurized spray process that uses a 2 part mix. type material. They will prep it like you would for paint, just no primer. Then they use a special masking tape that has a wire in it at the edge. After they spray it they pull the wire ant it cuts through the material to make the clean edge. The biggest problem I had with it that it fades in about a year from the sun. At the time I sold my business they were working on a new material that wasn't supposed to fade but I don't know if they ever got it right.

Comment

"BOB MARLIN" post=823594 wrote:
            Yep that's what it looks like.

As far as the bed liner goes, if I still had my equipment I wouldn't hesitate to do it. Do not use the "do it your self" kits, they won't hold up. Take it somewhere that has a line-x type set up. It does not have to be a line-x place just a place that uses a hot applied pressurized spray process that uses a 2 part mix. type material. They will prep it like you would for paint, just no primer. Then they use a special masking tape that has a wire in it at the edge. After they spray it they pull the wire ant it cuts through the material to make the clean edge. The biggest problem I had with it that it fades in about a year from the sun. At the time I sold my business they were working on a new material that wasn't supposed to fade but I don't know if they ever got it right.
            I appreciate your comment about getting it professionally done, but that will cost a few more boat bucks than I'm willing to spend on a 30 year old boat. However, I recently met someone who put Olive Drab http://www.monstaliner.com wrote:
            Monstaliner
            (from a kit) on an older Ford F250 4X4 he uses for hunting. He said he's taken it through and over bushes, and from the scratches on his bush guard, he's likely telling the truth. Personally, the truck looked amazing ....and tough!

The site states all their products are 100% UV protected and bond well to metal, fiberglass and wood. His was over old paint on metal, and I'm still not sure how it would fare on old fiberglass. I do know I have to sand it, then clean it with MEK, tape off all lines and cover the rest of the boat to protect it from splatters. I will likely tape it twice and peal it right after each application so I can get good clean lines. Thanks for the tip about the wire tape. It's a tad cost prohibitive a $50 for a 100' roll, but I'll look around to see if I can find something just as good.

As I said, I haven't decided, but am definitely leaning in that direction. Worse case is I spend $300 and it peels off after a couple seasons. I can live with that.

Let me know what you decide to do with yours.
            TDI tech diver
            Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X