Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2001 Bayliner Ceria 2452 No Power Underload

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    2001 Bayliner Ceria 2452 No Power Underload

    My 2001 Bayliner Ceria 2452 has no power under load, she won't go past 3700 rpm and no power to get on plane she has a 5.0 L Mercruiser engine, I changed plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, carb rebuilt, fuel pump pressure checked, suction line from gas tank checked, gas filters changed, timing checked, compression checked all OK. The only thing I found was on one side the exhaust shutter was seized open and on the other side the exhaust shutter was missing, could this be the problem?????? I have had the boat for 5 years and she had lots of power till this year, no trouble to get on plane and 33 mph top speed at around 4400 rpm. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 11-07-2019, 09:20 AM.

    #2
    yup find & dig out that missing shutter,

    try running her with the fuel cap open,

    carb inlet screen filter cleaned?
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

    Comment


      #3
      "Ruffryder" post=823251 wrote:
      yup find & dig out that missing shutter,

      try running her with the fuel cap open,

      carb inlet screen filter cleaned?
      Yep, might find it in the bottom of the Y pipe restricting exhaust flow.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

      The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

      Comment


        #4
        IAC UNIT?

        - they are notorious for causing engine intake air control problems

        Comment


          #5
          Follow ruffryder and builderdudes advice, it's a close shot.
          1995 Bayliner 2452
          Alpha 1 Gen II
          2016 - 5.7 Vortec 4BBL
          Full Closed Cooling

          Comment


            #6
            "Gutenberg" post=823276 wrote:
            IAC UNIT?

            - they are notorious for causing engine intake air control problems
            First the OP listed a 5.0L which is a carbureted engine so no IAC. Second the IAC is part of the idle circuit and should not impact higher rpm power. Just an FYI.
            1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

            Mike

            Comment


              #7
              Bottom growth?

              Comment


                #8
                The boat bottom has anti fouling paint, no growth.

                Thanks

                Comment


                  #9
                  http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....&childforums=1

                  You dived under the boat and saw no beard.
                  Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

                  1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                  '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                  Manalapan N.J

                  Comment


                    #10
                    For 5 years I put the boat in the water first week in May and removed the boat the middle of October and never yet was there any growth and the water is clear enough to see. No growth.

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Check off dirty hull on the list.
                      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

                      1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                      '86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

                      Manalapan N.J

                      Comment


                        #12
                        PROBLEM SOLVED, Finally got a chance to take the boat out of the water, removed elbows and found missing exhaust shutter at bottom of Y pipe, had trouble removing shutter it was wedged in pretty good but got I it out with a 24 inch flexible pincher tool, installed new exhaust shutters both sides. Took the boat for a test run this morning and got the boat up on plane several times and went full rpms and top speed of 28 mph in choppy waters. If anybody got the same trouble NO POWER UNDER LOAD, NOT REACHING FULL RPMS, WON'T GO ON PLANE check your exhaust shutters. Thanks everyone for your help.


                        Attached files

                        Comment


                          #13
                          UPDATE--------- This past summer boating season 2019 half way through I started having the same trouble as the 2017 season, NO POWER, ONLY 3400 RPM MAX, NO GETTING ON PLANE, I said this can't be the same problem EXHAUST SHUTTERS BLOCKING THE Y PIPE they were new Mercruiser shutters installed season end 2017 that meant the shutters only lasted 1 and 1/2 seasons. When I done season end maintenance took the leg off one of the shutters was looking me in the face, so I figured this was it. Then I decided to pull the 2 elbows and sure enough the shutters were gone on both sides I say only about 100 hours running time and I had a lot of trouble fishing the other shutter from the bottom of the Y pipe. This time before I installed the new shutters I installed a safety chain on both shutters so now when the separate they will not fall down the Y pipe. You should get lots of boating seasons out of these shutters not just 1 1/2. Hope this can hep someone.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Good to know info. Appreciate the update.
                            2004 Monterey 282 Cruiser
                            Twin Volvo Penta 5.0GXi-E
                            SX-M 1.6gr Outdrives
                            Docks @ Punta Gorda, Florida

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Blackhawk View Post
                              UPDATE--------- This past summer boating season 2019 half way through I started having the same trouble as the 2017 season, NO POWER, ONLY 3400 RPM MAX, NO GETTING ON PLANE, I said this can't be the same problem EXHAUST SHUTTERS BLOCKING THE Y PIPE they were new Mercruiser shutters installed season end 2017 that meant the shutters only lasted 1 and 1/2 seasons. When I done season end maintenance took the leg off one of the shutters was looking me in the face, so I figured this was it. Then I decided to pull the 2 elbows and sure enough the shutters were gone on both sides I say only about 100 hours running time and I had a lot of trouble fishing the other shutter from the bottom of the Y pipe. This time before I installed the new shutters I installed a safety chain on both shutters so now when the separate they will not fall down the Y pipe. You should get lots of boating seasons out of these shutters not just 1 1/2. Hope this can hep someone.
                              These are the Mercruiser new design with the plastic housing? Was the housing melted at all? They’ll only lock into the Y-pipe one way. Mine have lasted me several seasons...
                              Dave
                              Edmonds, WA
                              "THE FIX"
                              '93 2556
                              Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

                              The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
                              Misc. projects thread
                              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X