Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3587 / 4087 Cummins oil change suggestions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    3587 / 4087 Cummins oil change suggestions

    Hi folks,

    I would love to know the best practices of other 35/4087 Cummins owners for changing oil, given that you know the ease (or lack there of) of accessibility etc. We are new owners and I would like to buy the right 'do it myself' equipment the first time.

    Thanks!

    Mark
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-17-2019, 10:01 PM.
    1999 4087 Cummins 270's
    AB 12 Yamaha 25
    Cruising the Pacific NW from Anacortes to Desolation Sound

    #2
    Here's what I did on my boat. It works great:

    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/in...llation#605069
    1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
    2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
    Anacortes, WA

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks Norton, that looks like a great system.

      Anyone else want to share favorite oil change methods for the their Cummins 6BTA 5.9 in tight or not so tight engine rooms?
      1999 4087 Cummins 270's
      AB 12 Yamaha 25
      Cruising the Pacific NW from Anacortes to Desolation Sound

      Comment


        #4
        Thanks Norton Rider. I got to get me some of that!
        1995 Bayliner 3587
        Twin Hino 250HP
        Located In Sidney BC, Canada

        Comment


          #5
          Norton Rider,

          I bought the same pump you recommended, (I purchased the kit that includes hoses). I may end up rigging up a system like yours. Do you have the link to where you purchased the hydraulic hoses with quick connect fittings?

          Thanks again!
          Alex
          Orange County, Ca.
          2001 3988
          Twin Cummins 330's

          Comment


            #6
            "Ahaua" post=824941 wrote:
            Norton Rider,

            I bought the same pump you recommended, (I purchased the kit that includes hoses). I may end up rigging up a system like yours. Do you have the link to where you purchased the hydraulic hoses with quick connect fittings?

            Thanks again!
            I don't remember exactly where I got the hoses and fittings, but here's the type of fittings I used: https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...lers_s/154.htm. There are other types of couplers that will work as well, just make sure you get the type with a built-in shutoff valve. Make sure that you get couplers that match the thread of the hoses. I also got dust caps and plugs. Depending on your installation you may want to get some 90 0r 45 degree swivels for the hose ends.

            If you don't want to buy online, find a local industrial or agricultural supply house.
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

            Comment


              #7
              "capn_mark67" post=824930 wrote:
              Thanks Norton, that looks like a great system.

              Anyone else want to share favorite oil change methods for the their Cummins 6BTA 5.9 in tight or not so tight engine rooms?
              Mark, I have a 4788 with 6bta5.9's. Here's what I have. The 3 valve Reverso system has hoses to port/genie/starboard engines with hoses that connect to the blue oil drain hoses that come off the sump drain plug holes. I've seen them with ball valves in the lines as well, but that may be overkill since there is a ball valve in the pump manifold. The unit will suck or push, but I prefer to pump out, then tip the oil in the usual way. Changing the oil is a breeze - warm the engines, turn the ball valve, flick the switch and the jobs done in a couple of minutes per engine. The hardest install part was getting the hoses measured and cut to length. I had the hose line company swauge the fittings on the lines, but you need one "swivel" end to connect to the pump.

              Well worth the investment. Google Reverso pumps for their website.

              Cheers [attachment]41297 wrote:
              IMG_0957.JPG[/attachment]

              [attachment]41296 wrote:
              IMG_0956.JPG[/attachment]
              John H
              Brisbane QLD Aust
              "Harbor-nating"

              2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

              Comment


                #8
                Thanks John, I will look that up, thanks!
                1999 4087 Cummins 270's
                AB 12 Yamaha 25
                Cruising the Pacific NW from Anacortes to Desolation Sound

                Comment


                  #9
                  Nice set up
                  Alex
                  Orange County, Ca.
                  2001 3988
                  Twin Cummins 330's

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hello All,

                    I would like to start performing my own oil changes. I am at the 75 hour mark since the last change.

                    Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330hp @ 2800
                    Hours: 1,051 for each engine

                    I have been trying to identify a step by step process for the oil change protocol, but have not had any luck.

                    Is anyone using a simple (not too expensive) hand pump like the "
                    Jabsco 33745 33760 33799 34060 Series Hand Pump"?

                    Under Tony’s tips i do see the information sheet “oil pan capacities for cummins marine engines”….https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-p...arine-engines/

                    Any other assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

                    Thanks,
                    John

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Titan731979 View Post
                      Hello All,

                      I would like to start performing my own oil changes. I am at the 75 hour mark since the last change.

                      Engines: Cummins 6BTA 5.9 330hp @ 2800
                      Hours: 1,051 for each engine

                      I have been trying to identify a step by step process for the oil change protocol, but have not had any luck.

                      Is anyone using a simple (not too expensive) hand pump like the "
                      Jabsco 33745 33760 33799 34060 Series Hand Pump"?

                      Under Tony’s tips i do see the information sheet “oil pan capacities for cummins marine engines”….https://www.sbmar.com/articles/oil-p...arine-engines/

                      Any other assistance and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

                      Thanks,
                      John

                      If you go to Cummins' Quickserve web site, create an account then enter your engine serial numbers you will be able to get to the Owner's manual and in there will be the lubrication section and the maintenance guideline section that will provide detail information...

                      Information available will depend on the engine serial numbers that can be found on the dataplate...

                      I use a similar product like the Revrso pump mentioned above by John (post #7)...
                      1988 3888
                      Twin Cummins 6BT's 210hp
                      Onan 8KW

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Thank you, Nickp. I appreciate your time.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X