Propellers and trim tabs-gctid823055

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propellers and trim tabs-gctid823055

New 2008 Bayliner 175 owner here (formerly a SeaDoo Challenger owner, so big learning curve).

I have been doing a lot of reading about propellers and still can't determine if a 3 or 4 blade prop will be better for me?

I will be mostly towing tubes/wakeboard/etc, with the occasional cruising around the lake. I have seen that a 19p (maybe 17?)

sounds like it will give me the extra "out of hole" power for towing. Just can't find whether 3 or 4 blade will help/hurt?

Any pros/cons to each for towing? If it matters, the boat also has a hydrofoil and a small fin (but fin is damaged).

Will removing the fin hurt anything? The steering is very tough right now, so I'm hoping the prop and fin change will help.

Also, I've read about the trim tabs helping a lot of owners. I read the article about these smart tabs:

"http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/bowridersskifishcuddiesdeckboats/41387-smart-tabs-installed-on-my-175-very-happy"

My question on the tabs is ... their website says I should use 60lb tabs, but the post seems to show 40lb tabs would be better?

Should I go with owners and against the website and still get the 40lb tabs?
    ~ 2008 Bayliner 175, Mercruiser 3.0L 4cyl, w/AlphaOne (Gen2) 2.0, 14.25" 21p

What did prop did your boat come with and are you at the recommended WOT RPM of the engine?
    Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
    New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
    GO HAWKS!

Comment

Generally speaking, if you go down a size in prop pitch your boat will accelerate faster and be quicker to plane.

Trim tabs were initially intended to correct list conditions while underway. Many owners of small boats also reported that the tabs got them on plane quicker. Tab makers have embraced this and include this info in their marketing.

I recommend that you try going with smaller pitch prop first and see how you like it. You will probably like the quick plane, and also notice that you are operating at higher rpms.

I started with an 18' boat with 3.0 engine. I was mostly tubing and wakeboarding also. Let me know your size engine and stern drive ratio, and if same as mine I can pass along results of my prop experiments. I now have a 21' 5.0 because my passengers got bigger.
      2006 Bayliner BR205 with 5.0

Comment

I have a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L, 2.0 ratio. Current prop is a 14.25" 21p. Not sure of WOT RPM just yet.

I didn't know to look for that on the test drive and haven't had it on water since buying yet.

Comment

I was also curious, if my current prop is a 14.25", does that mean that's the only prop I can get?

I keep seeing the more common size seems to be 14.5" or even 15"? Do you just use different hub parts for those?

{note: Sorry if these are dumb questions. I'm very familiar with jet drives from my former boat. Not as familiar with prop boats.}

Comment

"Raestlin" post=823055 wrote:
            New 2008 Bayliner 175 owner here (formerly a SeaDoo Challenger owner, so big learning curve).

If it matters, the boat also has a hydrofoil and a small fin (but fin is damaged).

Will removing the fin hurt anything? The steering is very tough right now, so I'm hoping the prop and fin change will help.
            Do you have the Alpha outdrive?

Is the steering tough when you are floating and not moving, or does it pull to one side when you are underway?

The "small fin", are you talking about the skeg under the propeller, or the little zinc above the propeller?

The zinc is adjustable and it helps to counteract the propeller trying to steer the boat one direction at faster speeds. If yours is worn out, it needs to be replaced and adjusted.
            Esteban
            Huntington Beach, California
            2018 Element 16
            Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
            Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Zincs:

Skeg:

Esteban
              2018 Element 16

Comment

AlphaOne outdrive (apparently 2,0 ratio is Gen2?).

It is the zinc piece that is mangled. I need to replace it.

The steering is super tough at speed, and gets a little easier when decelerating.

The prop is torn up as well, so I was planning on replacing anyway, but read on here how it can affect steering also.

Comment

"Raestlin" post=823078 wrote:
                  AlphaOne outdrive (apparently 2,0 ratio is Gen2?).

It is the zinc piece that is mangled. I need to replace it.

The steering is super tough at speed, and gets a little easier when decelerating.

The prop is torn up as well, so I was planning on replacing anyway, but read on here how it can affect steering also.
                  The angle of the zinc is adjustable. It pushes the outdrive to one side to offset the torque from the propeller pushing it the other way. It should be adjusted so steering is light at whatever speed you cruise at most. Since yours is worn out, it isn't doing much. Replace it with a new one at the same angle then see how it works.
                  Esteban
                  2018 Element 16

Comment

"Raestlin" post=823072 wrote:
                    I have a Mercruiser Alpha One 3.0L, 2.0 ratio. Current prop is a 14.25" 21p. Not sure of WOT RPM just yet.

I didn't know to look for that on the test drive and haven't had it on water since buying yet.
                    I had almost same boat as you. I had 3 props: 17p, 19p, and 21p, all 14.25 inches. 17p was good for water skiing and wakeboarding as it provided excellent acceleration and would plane at lower speeds. 19p was best for tubing because hole shot didn't matter and I could pull the tube at 25kts at cruise rpm (3600). I found that I gained 8kts in top end speed for every 2p. A 15 inch prop will fit on your boat no problem and the hub will be the same. You could take the hub out of your current prop and put it in your new one though Mercruiser recommends a new sleeve with a new prop.

I really enjoyed my 18 footer. It was easy to tow, good in shallow water, and could run two weekends on a tank of gas.

Comment

That being where you started, you will be happy with a 17 " pitch and stay close to the same diameter, 13.75 ~ 14.25 inch. It makes no difference which hub system you have. It is a very common size that's used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Mari...xZmkkP&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCURY-QUIC...hUz9SX&vxp=mtr
                      GO HAWKS!

Comment

Should I stick with a 3 blade prop then? No benefits of going with a 4 blade?

Comment

I recommend the three blade. This will give you excellent hole shot and not as much drag at speed. Your boat is light enough that 3 blades will provide enough bite.

Comment

3 blade is more predictable on outcome of getting the performance you want. My boats over the years have always performed better the lower the pitch I went. from 15' to 30' I have had 15 to 19 pitch props. Part of the steering problem you are having is if the boat is not trimmed. Are you lifting the outdrive with the trim switch?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michigan-Pro...hZpxyt&vxp=mtr
                            GO HAWKS!

Comment

"Raestlin" post=823055 wrote:
                              My question on the tabs is ... their website says I should use 60lb tabs, but the post seems to show 40lb tabs would be better?

Should I go with owners and against the website and still get the 40lb tabs?
                              If it is the Nauticus SmartTabs, most 175 owners (including me) seem to be using and are satisfied with the 40# actuators. Call or email Nauticus if you'd like...their customer support is quite good. My guess is they'll tell you to go with the 40#.
                              Lake Memphremagog, Newport, VT
                              2015 Bayliner 175 BR
                              Mercruiser 135/3.0 MPI Alpha One

Comment

Working...
                              X