Wire splice disconnected - but what does it do?-gctid823005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire splice disconnected - but what does it do?-gctid823005

So, I found a wire splice that was disconnected while I was looking around the engine compartment to locate the terminator resistor in order to install the Mercruiser VesselView Mobile Module (I located the terminator easily enough; more about that subject in another topic once the module arrives in the mail and I've installed it on the engine). I don't know how long the splice has been disconnected, but it probably happened when I was cleaning out the bilge a week or so ago. The wires are located exactly where I place a small bucket to collect water from an hand-operated bilge pump. Either moving the bucket or the bilge pump could have snagged the wires. I had the boat out for an overnight trip after that bilge cleaning and didn't notice anything too strange or any electrical systems that failed to function.

I've looked at the wiring schematic in my model's manual; however, it's all hieroglyphics to me... I confess, I've never been very good with tracing wires. Fortunately, most of the wires are labeled; however, these are not. I couldn't find anything that indicated a yellow to brown wire splice. In the photos, the brown and yellow wires were disconnected; I've reconnected them - there didn't seem to be any other obvious connection. As you might be able to see, they run across the edge of the fuel tank inside the engine compartment above the bilge area. So, any ideas what these wires control?

Rick
    "Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Only brown wire in my engine compartment/bilge area is for the bilge pump itself...
    Lake Hartwell, GA
    2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
    1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
    1987 SeaRay 300 - Twin 454’s
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
    1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
    1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO
    1996 SeaDoo GTX
    1999 SeaDoo GTX

Comment

"RobMick" post=823031 wrote:
      Only brown wire in my engine compartment/bilge area is for the bilge pump itself...
      +1 see if the bilge pump runs with it connected and disconnected.
      1997 Maxum 2400 SCR 5.7LX Bravo II

Mike

Comment

Don't forget trying the automatic float too. If you don't have one I highly recommend installing one.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks everyone! The only brown wires I found on the wiring schematic were for the bilge; brown to brown. So, that was going to be my guess too, but I wanted to see what others might say first before I posted my guess... And I did have my dealer install a float switch for the bilge and after thinking about it, it's possible the splice is from that modification. During my last trip out, I didn't have to run the bilge; it stays pretty dry. I'll do the bilge run test this weekend.
          Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Comment

Finally, got around to this test. Yep, bilge pump. Wire splice when putting in the float switch.
            Rick

Comment

Working...
            X