Running portable generator?-gctid822978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running portable generator?-gctid822978

I have no electrical knowledge and hope someone can assist with a basic question. Our new to us 2001 3788 didn't come with a generator but does have a Xantrex inverter with (6) 6V batteries. When I plugged shorepower cords to the Honda 2000 generator the red light lit up on the AC panel, I took that as polarity issue and didn't turn on the breaker for fear of electrical damage.

What's an easy step I can do to diagnose the issue? I'd love to be able to run this portable generator to heat water and charge the batteries while on the hook. Thanks
    2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
    Seattle, WA

Got move to stop. You have a polarity issue probably in your adapter I'm guessing because you dint mention an issue with shore power. I'm guessing the generator doesn't have a 30 amp outlet and you are using a 30 th 15 amp adapter. Look carefully for some discoloration inside the connector holes. If you have a multi meter you could look for some crossover by using the ohm function. My next step would be to plug the shore power cord and adapter into a 15 amp outlet if you happen to have one or can adapt to. I'm one of "those guys" with all sorts of adapters. If the adapter checks out its time to look at how the generator outlets are wired. It may be that the line and neutral wires are not in the correct positions.
    P/C Pete
    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks for the tips, I will check it out this afternoon after work. And yes, I am using a 15 to 30amp adaptor.
      2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
      Seattle, WA

Comment

If you google around, there are literally heaps of posts and threads on dozens of different sites about your topic. After having read many of them, what you describe is very normal because the portable generators use a floating ground. It does not impact the performance of the generator or your ability to run ac appliances. From what I have read, the use of the 15 amp to 30 amp adapter has no bearing on the polarity light coming on.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-134001.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...generator.html

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gener...onda-generator
        Johnson Point, Olympia, WA
        1989 2855
        Horizon 6.2 and Bravo II

Comment

Does your generator power other things up ok?
          Brett & Elise, Sammy + Wilson
          New Addition - 2002 Trophy 2002WA FF Optimax 135
          GO HAWKS!

Comment

Thanks for the additional information.

We did plug our personal electronics (tablets/phones/rechargeable batteries) directly into the Honda 2000i with no issues. I just didn't want to risk wreaking havoc on our boats inverter/electrical systems connecting to the generator when I saw the red lights come on.
            2001 3788 w/ 330 Cummins
            Seattle, WA

Comment

Working...
            X