86 ciera will not stay running under load-gctid399330

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 ciera will not stay running under load-gctid399330

I have a 86 ciera 2755 that was given to me. I'm new to boating but was told the boat had been winterized for the season. Got the boat home did what I thought were normal checks fluids batt. etc... Tried starting the boat on trailer with water hooked up of course. Boat started right up and sounded good. After letting it run for awhile make sure all was good, I put it in the water. Boat ran great! While it needs some other work done to it, it will be a good time till I get around to the other stuff. Took it out a few times with no issues. The last time it ran good we were on the lake when a storm was blowing in. I beached the boat along with the other boaters till storm passed. We ended up spending the rest of the day there. When it was time to leave started boat unbeached. Took it easy around the island and when I got into open water gave it some throttle and didn't want to go. Removed the fuel filter in the middle of the lake hopeing that was it but it wasn't. Made it back got it home. Drained whatever fuel out of take I could get. Rebuilt carb. Changed filter in carb and fuel filter. Ran boat again on trailer. Runs fine. I put it in the water start it up, take off accross the lake and starts sputter. Just real quick at first and then progressivelly gets worse, untill it dies. It will usually start right back up which leads me to believe it's not the coil heating up. Was told it was my lower unit because I beached it and clogged the pick up. I'm not sure any suggestions?

Protocol for new ownership of this Volvo penta boat:

Check fuel quality, and for water.

Fuel tank pick up tube screen.

Check/replace anti-siphon valve.

Fuel filter cartridage replacement.

Current USCG approved fuel lines.

Fuel pump??? at least check pressure.

New drive shaft bellows....don't even question this one.

Press/Vac leak-down test of the drive.

PDS bearings/seals.... again, don't even question this one.

Water Neck fitting and special beaded gasket... again, just do it.

Impeller and/or complete sea water pump replacement.... $150 as of lately.

Ignition timing! Not just BASE, look at the progresssive and TA.

I have omitted a few of the more straight forward and obvious engine related items.

Gives these items the necessary attention.
    Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

have any idea how to get to pick up screen?

Comment

Remove fuel line from Anti-Siphon valve, remove A/S/V from fitting, unscrew fitting, lilft up and pull from fuel tank.

The screen (if used) will be at the end of this pick up tube.

It's not a deal breaker if there is no screen there (your main filter will be doing it's job), but it's one thing off your check list that could have caused a problem.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
        X