2006 175BR 3.0 TKS No Power-gctid821800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 175BR 3.0 TKS No Power-gctid821800

This is the third season that I have owned this boat. It is a 2006 175BR with 3.0 TKS Mercruiser and Alpha One GenII. Has always run great, starts right up even after sitting a week or two. Was out yesterday for 4 or 5 hours wakeboarding & cruising and after making a hard U-turn had very little acceleration when coming out of the turn. Normal WOT is 4900 RPM with 4 blade Solis Amita 19P prop. For wakeboading we run at 24MPH, 3200 RPM. Now when I advance to full throttle it will only go up to about 3500 RPM, sputter and drop to about 3000 - 3200 and only be at 20-24 MPH. Where do I start?
    2006 Bayliner 175 3.0L Mercruiser
    Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
    2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

I would start with checking spark plugs and changing out fuel filters, these are regular service items.

Comment

Today we changed the fuel filter on the bottom of the pump and the screen at the carburetor. Ran the motor on muffs, started right up, when throttle was advance ift revved up then died back to about 800 RPM, then slowly climbed back up. I pulled the front and rear plugs and they looked fine. Tomorrow I will pull the other 2 plugs..
      Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
      2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

I pulled plug #2 & #3 and they look fine.Plugs, cap and rotor were new this season. I pulled the suction line out of the fuel tank and the strainer is clean.. Check valve operates freely.

The fuel tank was near empty and I added Sta-bil Marine treatment and some SeaFoam and filled it with 14 gallons of Sunoco 87 before heading out.

Question...... Going around a right hand turn would cause the fluid level on the right side of the tank to rise and if there is water in the fuel tank it would be deeper on the side where the pick up tube is and may have been picked up.. Would that cause this type of problem?

The fuel tank was half full when the problem occurred.
        Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
        2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Check the oil it milky?

All the plugs firing ?

Temp was what when you had this loss of power ?

There is a filter in the fitting that enters the carb .

Check under the dizzy cap what do you see ?
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Chief Alen,

My findings are as follows:

Check the oil it milky? - Oil is golden and clear. Has not had a lot of use since last oil change.

All the plugs firing ? - What is the procedure for checking?

Temp was what when you had this loss of power ? - 175 That is the normal operating temp.

There is a filter in the fitting that enters the carb .- I changed that screen and the filter on the bottom of the pump.

Check under the dizzy cap what do you see ? Contacts for #1 & #3 are clean/bronze. #2 & #4 are darker. See photos.

Also, today I ran the engine connected to separate fuel tank with fresh gas and had the same problem.

Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
            2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

cap & rotor aren't looking so good
              Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Cap & Rotor were new this season so I didn't suspect them.
                Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
                2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

spark plugs, wires new too? I'd replace em all.
                  Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                  Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                  93 3058 sold
                  92 2855 (day boat)
                  91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                  Longbranch WA
                  Life is Good

Comment

Plugs were new this year also. Did not replace wires, not sure how old they are.
                    Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
                    2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Use a Oem cap and rotor 2 plugs maybe not firing.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks Chief. I ordered plugs, cap, rotor and wires from Wholesale Marine and will have them on Friday. I'll post the results.
                        Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
                        2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Installed the new plug, wires, rotor and cap today. Started right up. Idled nice and smooth at 1100 RPM, seemed a little high. Advanced the throttle about half way, engine revved to 3000 RPM. Then advanced the throttle to about 3/4 and the engine died back to about 500 RPM. Would have died completely if I hadn't cut it back. Went back up to about 3000 RPM and it started pulsing up and down. What next?
                          Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
                          2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Rebuild the carb after checking compression, on a warm engine, with a known good screw in type gauge.

Won't hurt to clean the fuel system from tank to carb.

Want to know how just ask.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

I haven't checked compression yet. Going to borrow a gauge from my boss. I opened up the exhaust to check the flapper and one side of the flapper was stuck up on the shoulder of the pipe (see photo). Flapper looked a little ragged so replaced it. Still had loss of power. Opened exhaust again and found that the new flapper was also stuck on one side. Re-installed it and ran the engine, same problem. Checked flapper and it was stuck again. I removed the flapper and ran the engine just to see if that was the problem, same issue. Question: Are both sides of the flapper supposed to hang down and move freely? When I installed the flapper it worked fine. Seems to stick after running the engine.

Attached files

Ascent 2.0 Wake Tower
                              2015 GMC Acadia

Philadelphia, PA

Comment

Working...
                              X