fuel filtration how many filters having fuel issues-gctid821176

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel filtration how many filters having fuel issues-gctid821176

I have twin 454's in my 3587. I treated my gas at winter lay up (didn't use marine stabil just regular red stabil treatment). I winterized late October, fired up engines in May, it is ethanol fuel. In spring I changed both fuel filters. I was having fuel issues pulled carbs and they had junk inside the fuel bowls. I didn't buy rebuild kits but pulled both carbs cleaned them out best I could (did not soak) with carb cleaner, checked float levels and re-installed. I am using sierra 10 micron spin on fuel/water filters (18-7944). I Went on 5 hour boat trip and started having carb issues again halfway through the trip. I run slow 1800 rpm usually one engine. I got to my destination replaced fuel filters (I didn't think to check fuel in filters for junk/water). I limped home 5 hr run switching engines 6 knots, pulled off carbs and it looked like I never cleaned them. I changed filters again but this time emptied filter contents into two clean clear jars. The fuel looked perfect no water/junk, this tells me the fuel tanks are fine it was crap that sat in carbs over winter and the ethanol turned to junk I guess. When I cleaned the carbs the first time I didn't clean fuel inlet screens (top half of carbs (edelbrock 1410 (same as carter afbs)). I bought rebuild kits and rebuilt the carbs (soaked them/boiled them, blew air through every passage, all new gaskets). I noticed when I sprayed carb cleaner backwards through the float needle valve holes all kinds of crap was logged against the screens.

My question is do you guys have multiple filters? My old Chrysler in my old boat I had a main fuel/water separator and a second metal inline filter at the carb to catch anything that got through. I hope the crap was left in the carb and that somehow its not getting through my 10 micron spin on filter. I assume merc filters were original but I dont see why the sierra after market ones should not work.

I plan to re-install carbs this weekend and change all spark plugs (I am afraid I might of fouled plugs due to lack of fuel). If this works I am going to run non-ethanol fuel through my carbs during my next winter lay up.

Thanks

KMDisland

Maybe look into getting your fuel polished. My dock neighbor was having all kinds of issues with his boat that has twin Honda 200's. Got the fuel polished, no more issues.
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

What kind of fuel line is being used from the filter assembly to the pump and carburetors? Maybe they are coming apart inside.
      Dave
      Edmonds, WA
      "THE FIX"
      '93 2556
      Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
      Misc. projects thread
      https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Assuming, yeah, I know too, you have Mercruiser versions, you may first want to consider going to a two micron filter to keep the crap out of the carbs. It's easier to change a filter than clean out a carb. Next, I gotta agree with builderdudeon the fuel lines. I know I had to change out all of my fuel lines on my previous boat for alcohol added fuels. I don't know when the manufacturers began installing the resistant hoses, but it's a likely source. Then, because I fought this battle before, have your fuel polished and tanks cleaned. You are going to pay a per gallon polishing rate, so half a tank is way cheaper than a full one. Companies like FuelCare know from experience which fuel docks tend to get them lots of business. In my case there weren't recommended fuel docks, but comments like "we see some issues from xxxx".
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        MMSI 367770440

Comment

I just bought the boat last year and apparently they had the fuel polished and the fuel senders changed. They installed the cheapest senders I have ever seen (both of them didn't work), they stripped out half the bolts holding down the senders. I fueled up for a long trip home and almost blew myself up, when the fuel would slosh around it was leaking out of the top of the senders. I have since replaced the senders with nice Wema senders, and installed half the sender bolts with a size up (just enough to re-thread) and they are tight. I also have two different fume detectors. I am so gun shy from that experience I only fill my tanks to 75% capacity now (man I wish I had diesels).

The hoses could be my problem, the boat is a 1995 and I am sure the fuel hoses are original.

Thanks for the replys.

Comment

Having gas in the bilge is not fun. Last year, last boat I had gassed up ar VanIsle Marina near Sidney arid something I seldom did until then. I opened the engine hatch and saw gasoline running out of a fuel pickup assembly I had installed. I had to increase the screw size from number eights to tens along with copious amounts of Permatex.

Replace those sending units, get some good gaskets and address the fastener hole size with a slightly larger sheet metal screw. An hour or two correcting this installation will be very calming.

I wouldn't leave the dock with a known, albeit controlled, fuel leak.
            P/C Pete
            Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
            1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
            Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
            MMSI 367770440

Comment

Definitely change all your fuel lines to include the fuel fill hose and the fuel vent hose!

My boat is a 2000 and those were toast when I first bought it two years ago. The first time I was fueling the boat I could hear dripping inside the bilge, so I opened the hatch and saw gas dripping out the fuel filler hose like it was an irrigation soaker hose.
              Esteban
              Huntington Beach, California
              2018 Element 16
              Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
              Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Working...
              X