Water leak (39)85 2550-gctid821079

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak (39)85 2550-gctid821079

Heard some water leaking into the bilge at the landing yesterday. I can't tell where it is coming from for sure but I assume the bellows are a good guess. I ordered up both and new u joints. I monkeyed a little and got the bellows loose on the drive. Not 100% sure yet but it doesn't appear that there has been water in that one. After work I can get back at it and see if the exhaust bellow is the culprit. Also- sorry about posting on someone elses thread. I wasn't sure if I was better to start a new one or not. I will know moving forward. Thanks again for any feedback. I'm learning.
    Warba Warrior
    1985 2550 DE
    260 HP Volvo Penta
    280 Volvo Penta
    Trolling The Bay of Green Bay
    Along with Kewaunee and Door County

Well, I got the drive bellow off and it doesn't appear to have been leaking at all. The U joints are in clean condition. They don't seem to have been exposed to moisture at all. I will be putting new joints in anyway and the bellows are kind of brittle. The exhaust bellow was definitely leaking and had a few cracks in it. The oil in the drive is nice and clean and shows no sign of water in it. So at least that is a positive. Not sure I learned much so far. There was water leaking into the bilge yesterday at the dock. Could the exhaust hose make that happen? The goose neck hose was kind of brittle also but didn't appear to leak.
    Warba Warrior
    1985 2550 DE
    260 HP Volvo Penta
    280 Volvo Penta

Comment

I would have seen this earlier had you used "Volvo Penta" in your thread title!

Ok...... with this AQ series drive there could be several areas that would leak water into the engine bay:

..... loose transom shield mounting bolts.

..... bad exhaust down tube or Y-pipe.

..... corroded shift cable sheathe "crimp sleeve".

..... collar steering fork V-ring seal.

..... failing rubber cushion ring.

Reach down into the suspect area with a white paper towel. Find the area!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I will see what I can find after work today.
        Warba Warrior
        1985 2550 DE
        260 HP Volvo Penta
        280 Volvo Penta

Comment

Give this a look at.

If the shift cable "sheathe" crimp sleeve is suspect.... DO NOT attempt to remove the fitting from the transom shield!

Instead, cut 1" from the sheathe, place it back onto the fitting, and secure it with a Euro Style band clamp!

Attached files

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thank you much sir. I really appreciate it. I'm a lot more confident in what I'm looking for with your help. That is huge.
            Warba Warrior
            1985 2550 DE
            260 HP Volvo Penta
            280 Volvo Penta

Comment

I failed to mention that you will need to somehow cut or chisel the old crimp sleeve from the hose and fitting.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

"2850Bounty" post=821234 wrote:
                I failed to mention that you will need to somehow cut or chisel the old crimp sleeve from the hose and fitting.

I think that may be the source of the water. The boat is in my yard and on trailer but that connection does have a fairly large amount of corrosion on it. Thank you for info. I will see what I can do with that.
                Warba Warrior
                1985 2550 DE
                260 HP Volvo Penta
                280 Volvo Penta

Comment

Changed the bellows and u joints and put it back in water this evening. All good except for the water leak I located and it seems to be coming from the steering unit. I bet it's that steering fork seal you mentioned. Sound right to you Bounty?
                  Warba Warrior
                  1985 2550 DE
                  260 HP Volvo Penta
                  280 Volvo Penta

Comment

I put the V Ring Seal in today. Weather is not cooperating though. I wanted to hit Kewaunee in the morning and give it a test run. Might need a day or so to verify results. Rains every other day here this summer. I'm actually looking forward to winter so it will stop.
                    Warba Warrior
                    1985 2550 DE
                    260 HP Volvo Penta
                    280 Volvo Penta

Comment

Finally got boat to slip in Kewaunee this evening. I changed the V ring seal but the leak is still the same. Other than that, I am happy with the boat. It handles the water very nice. There was a good roll left out there from the high wind yesterday. 70 degree water on the surface and 67 degree water 110 feet down. I didn't miss much in the way of trolling.

That leak is definitely coming from the steering. 3 hours in the water and it's not enough to bilge, so it's not a geyser but what should my next step be? Thank you in advance.
                      Warba Warrior
                      1985 2550 DE
                      260 HP Volvo Penta
                      280 Volvo Penta

Comment

Ok. I made another discovery. If I raise the lower unit up the leak all but stops. I left it up awhile in the slip today and when I let it back down the steering arm started to get wet again. I think I will live with it for a couple more weeks and then I will remove the entire out drive and pull the motor. That will give me the winter to get all new steering parts and then I can change the drive bearing and clean the bilge area. From reading the advice on here I think that would be a good idea.
                        Warba Warrior
                        1985 2550 DE
                        260 HP Volvo Penta
                        280 Volvo Penta

Comment

Working...
                        X