Erratic Tachometers-gctid399172

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Erratic Tachometers-gctid399172

Often times my tachometers will read erratically, typically with one giving a higher reading than another. They will usually settle in after a length of time, but it is annoying. I have read about resetting a switch on the back of the tach, moving it back and forth in order to remove corrosion. Has anyone heard of this, or can anyone offer another solution? Thanks in advance for the input.

Tapp on them and ignore them. Your ears work better anyway. Only semi kidding.

Comment

Tach problems can some times be caused by a bad ground.
      1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

Comment

If you remove the helm panel with all the gauges you will find the connection posts on the back of the tachs. You can clean the connections and be sure they are all tight.

If I remember some of the connections are a sort of slide on connector. They slide onto a threaded stud supplying input signals to the tachs. I tied these connectors to the tachs with tie wraps aka zip ties to be sure they did not slip off.

Initially my tachs did as yours. But with a little work on the connections they have been good.

--------

The switches you mention are on the back of the tachs. Be SURE you note where they are set before you mess with them.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

As always Jim... thanks!

Comment

Thi is a common problem with faria tachs.

get to the rear of the tach. there are 3 screws which have a connector on them. remove the connector. There is a nut on eack of the screws.back it off about a turn an retighten it. The problem will go away.the internal connection corrodes, an looenin the nuts and retightening cleans the connection internally. On my 2452, if I show the tach a picture of salt water, it goes bad. Usually haas to be done once a year.
            Captharv 2001 2452
            "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

if your ever at my marina, you can often watch me leaving yelling at my dash and "gently" hitting the dash and tapping on the tachs. Every boat I have owned has done this, I have tried cleaning connections, ensuring grounds secure. Nothing thus far has worked, I will try what you posted jim, maybe some conductive grease will help.

Comment

By contrast, this Bayliner is the FIRST boat I have owned that the tach is wacky.
                " WET EVER "
                1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
                mmsi 338108404
                mmsi 338124956
                "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

My 2000 3055 had the same problem. The push-on electrical connectors on the tachs are crap. I replaced them with crimp-on style ring connectors. The only nussance is you have to buy nuts, washers, and lock washers. I had the problem with both tachs at different times. The crimp-on ring connectors solved the problem.

Barnacle Bill

Lindy Star

2000 Cierra 3055

Comment

Also on the back of each tach will be a pot adjustment for how many cylinders are being run. Switch this back and forth a few times and put back to original position. This takes care of the same problem for me every couple of years.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                      Tapp on them and ignore them. Your ears work better anyway. Only semi kidding.
                      On mine, one or the other is usually right. I regulate with the synchronizer and the GPS. Regardless what the tach says the synch is usually right on.

Comment

captharv wrote:
                        Thi is a common problem with faria tachs.
                        Hope that Teleflex are better as I will "switch" this winter. At least they can't be worse..... Their customer service is top notch.

Comment

Tapping the tach is part of my normal startup routine. If they ever figure out how to make a tach that doesn't need this, I'll have to enroll in a 12-step program.

Comment

Put some grease on the connector to help eliminate any more corrsion. It will displace the moisture and help prevent the corrsion but clean the connections first

Comment

I yanked the speedo and put a synch gauge in. I got one off the bay for about 40 bucks. Strat has a detailed install in the BOC lib.

Now I just make sure it's in the middle and dont worry about the position of the tachs themselves. As far as the speedo, I downloaded a free gps speed ap to my phone. It's much more accurate than the pitot speedo although it's pretty rare that I actually use it.
                              Doug
                              Hanging Loose
                              98 Carver 350 Mariner
                              2013-
                              KRUSTY KRAB
                              2001 305
                              5.7 BII
                              2006-2013

Comment

Working...
                              X