holding tank plumbing question-gctid820386

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

holding tank plumbing question-gctid820386

BOC friends, I have a question about installation of a new holding tank. This is for an old Jeffries boat I currently own, but my question might be answered by any of you familiar with the system in a 2655. I mention 2655 because I recently owned one and I intend to duplicate the waste system I had on that boat but I have forgotten a couple things. On my 2655, all waste went directly to the holding tank on starboard side in engine room and then pumpout was achieved at the pump out station. But my 2655 also had the option to macerate contents of the tank (at this point it would be twice macerated since my toilet was electric with macerator), via a macerator pump mounted on top of the tank. What I do not remember is...1. did that tank have a a vent line? I really don't remember seeing one. And was there or should there have been a y valve to choose discharge to deck or overboard thru macerator? For some reason, I am thinking my 2655 did not have a y valve, but that two separate discharge fittings were on the tank....one to deck, one to macerator. Appreciate feedback.

Yes a vent is required because as the tank fills air needs to escape, plus the contents will gas as it accumulates. The vent also let's air in as you empty the tank. This is important as the waste stations vacuum the contents rapidly and will collapse an unvented holding tank via suction.

The Y valve is used between the toilet and two alternative destinations ~ to the holding tank or direct discharge to the sea.

Ian B)
    Ian & Emma
    MV "LaPaloma"
    1990 4588
    Bay of Islands
    New Zealand

Comment

Here's a good guide:

https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvis...itation-System
      1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
      2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
      Anacortes, WA

Comment

Fulltiltron, my 2556 and many other "pocket cruisers" of similar size are set up the same as your 2655. Yes, a vent line is nessaserry 5/8" at the least, bigger is better IMO), and the Y valve is only needed if you plan to discharge directly from the head without going through the waste tank. The maserator that pumps from the waste tank needs to have a provision that makes it impossible to accidently turn it on. On my 2556 it's two momentary toggle switches that need to be held down simultaneously.
        Dave
        Edmonds, WA
        "THE FIX"
        '93 2556
        Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
        Misc. projects thread
        https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

Thanks guys. You have been helpful. I do recall now that on my 2655 there were two red buttons that had to be held down under the helm to activate the overboard macerator. I don't remember that tank having a vent line or seeing a vent on that side of the boat, but ther must have been. On most of the popular prefabbed plastic tanks that I see such as the Todd line that West Marine sells, they only have an 1 1/2" and a 1" port at the top of the tank and same two on bottom of tank. I know that since My electric toilet will be discharging thru a 1" outlet/hose, the top 1' fitting will be for going into the tank. I guess i will have to add a vent hole to accommodate a vent line. I will use the 1 1/2" on bottom of tank for discharge to deck pumpout fitting. That leaves the question of pumping the tank out thru the intended overboard macerator if at sea. Since the macerators I have looked at have a 1 1/2" inlet port, Is it ok to use the 1" port at bottom of tank to run into the 1 1/2" macerator inlet thru a reducer? Or do I have to add a second 1 1/2" discharge port at bottom of tank? That is why I was thinking of putting a y valve on the single 1 1/2" discharge port at bottom of tank...to choose between deck pumpout or tank macerator overboard. I do not intend to plumb the toilet with option to go directly overboard before the tank.

Comment

Here's a pic of the original plumbing on my 2556 waste tank (it's been re plumbed since) You'll want to use the 1 1/2" port at the bottom for your maserator pump for sure, a Y valve would also work there as you've suggested to either Maserati or use the pump out facility. Are you sure there's only four ports total on the new tank? Mine has many ports for plumbing based on how the tank is mounted/plumbed etc. I've got a couple of plastic pipe plugs in some of the un used ports.

Attached files

Dave
            Edmonds, WA
            "THE FIX"
            '93 2556
            Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P

The rebuild of my 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
            Misc. projects thread
            https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

"fulltiltron" post=820464 wrote:
              Thanks guys. You have been helpful. I do recall now that on my 2655 there were two red buttons that had to be held down under the helm to activate the overboard macerator. I don't remember that tank having a vent line or seeing a vent on that side of the boat, but ther must have been. On most of the popular prefabbed plastic tanks that I see such as the Todd line that West Marine sells, they only have an 1 1/2" and a 1" port at the top of the tank and same two on bottom of tank. I know that since My electric toilet will be discharging thru a 1" outlet/hose, the top 1' fitting will be for going into the tank. I guess i will have to add a vent hole to accommodate a vent line. I will use the 1 1/2" on bottom of tank for discharge to deck pumpout fitting. That leaves the question of pumping the tank out thru the intended overboard macerator if at sea. Since the macerators I have looked at have a 1 1/2" inlet port, Is it ok to use the 1" port at bottom of tank to run into the 1 1/2" macerator inlet thru a reducer? Or do I have to add a second 1 1/2" discharge port at bottom of tank? That is why I was thinking of putting a y valve on the single 1 1/2" discharge port at bottom of tank...to choose between deck pumpout or tank macerator overboard. I do not intend to plumb the toilet with option to go directly overboard before the tank.
              Don't add more holes to the top. Use the existing two and a reducer if necessary. The bigger the vent line, the better. I recommend you us the 1-1/2 top fitting for the toilet. Just go from 1 to 1-1/2 with a reducer. Use 1'" for the vent and run it high to a standard plastic thru hull. Make sure the vent line has no dips. It must run uphill all the way.

If the boat already has a macerating toilet, using the 1-1/2 port with a reducer is OK. Insert a plastic valve in this line that's readily accessible. This will allow removal and replacement of the macerator without a mess. Also mount the macerator higher than the tank.

If you want a 1-1/2 line for the macerator, plumb the 1-1/2 port with a Y and run one line to the macerator and the other to the pump out deck fitting. A Y-valve instead of a straight Y may be better. This way you can still close off the macerator. Plug the extra port at the bottom.
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

Incidentally, you may find a better selection of tanks and other items at Marine Sanitation in Seattle.
                Anacortes, WA

Comment

Thanks a bunch for your helpful advice. Dave...your photo looks exactly like the one I had on the 2655. I now see your vent line on top of tank (white hose). And nortonrider....thanks. I will proceed as advised. 1 1/2" at top for incoming from toilet. 1" at top for vent. 1 1/2" at bottom going to a y valve selecting either to the macerator or to the deck.

Comment

Working...
                  X