vaccu flush-gctid820254

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vaccu flush-gctid820254

I could use some advise. 14 people on the boat yesterday and the head stopped working. The pump wouldn't come one. I assumed it was plugged up and, with the help of a plunger, got it cleared. The pump sill wouldn't come one. I located the pump switch and the plunger wasn't sticking out far enough to hit the micro switch. I could activate the micro switch by hand and the system would develop vacuum and the head would flush. It seems odd that the switch would somehow fail because the head was plugged up. Has anyone ever taken one of these apart? I'm guessing it's a spring loaded plunger? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance as always.
    Doug
    Hanging Loose
    98 Carver 350 Mariner
    2013-
    KRUSTY KRAB
    2001 305
    5.7 BII
    2006-2013

Hi Doug! My 2 cents would be that the blockage may be coincidental, or could have bought things to a head :lol: but if you can activate the switch by hand, I'd start with replacing it. There is not much else that controls the pump motor. And you've effectively tested that. So other than loose or corroded wiring, I'd go with replacement of the switch.

Have fun with it! Cheers
    John H
    Brisbane QLD Aust
    "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

"higgins_jr" post=820281 wrote:
      Hi Doug! My 2 cents would be that the blockage may be coincidental, or could have bought things to a head :lol: but if you can activate the switch by hand, I'd start with replacing it. There is not much else that controls the pump motor. And you've effectively tested that. So other than loose or corroded wiring, I'd go with replacement of the switch.

Have fun with it! Cheers
      I've been thinking about it off an on all night and you're probably right. I am going to try to fix it first though. I'm guessing it's basically a piston and when enough vacuum is in the tank, it draws the piston back and breaks contact with the micro switch. If this is correct, I'm wondering if it's possible to remove the switch assembly and clean the piston? Anybody done this or am I barking up the wrong tree?
      Doug
      Hanging Loose
      98 Carver 350 Mariner
      2013-
      KRUSTY KRAB
      2001 305
      5.7 BII
      2006-2013

Comment

I think it's a bad vacuum switch. You can buy one easily to replace it. There is a small adjustment you can do but eventually it will fail. The factory says the switches are adjusted at the plant and shouldn't be adjusted in the field.

Had the same issue on our 3988.

Comment

Oh Carguy, we feel your pain. My guess is 2 problems at once. First, with all those people on the boat there is a good chance of unauthorized items being flushed into that fussy vacuflush. I have disassembled my entire system twice for that problem. Get ready for a very unpleasant experience. The 2nd problem is probably going to be solved by carefully examining any parts that may be worn or broken. Contact Vacuflush and get the parts and service guide for your particular model. Best of luck! Griff

Comment

Or sometimes things fix themselves. I went to the boat prepared to do battle and everything worked. I'm guessing what happened was I managed to force the offending material through the duck bills but it got stuck on the way to the holding tank. The vacuum pushed against the blockage and as the system had enough pressure that it pulled the plunger to the 'off'' position.

I've had pretty good luck with this system generally but I think I'm going to have to post a 'how to' in a laminated pressing and put it above the head.
            Doug
            Hanging Loose
            98 Carver 350 Mariner
            2013-
            KRUSTY KRAB
            2001 305
            5.7 BII
            2006-2013

Comment

Working...
            X